SE talking about budget - again! | Page 4 | Vital Football

SE talking about budget - again!

I think we have a very confused vision of the future at GFC. One vision shows a new 30000 seat stadium with a whole village attached to it.a vision of one day reaching the premier league.

The other vision is that we are a mediocre club who bounces between league one and two.

I think I we need to decide which it is. A club playing in league one or two in front of barely 5000 doesn't need the first vision.

If we want to grow that fan base then we need to be successful and we need to project the club in a far more positive light. That means the local council, local media and rather club itself.

The fan base is there. The Wembley trips and west ham game show that but we dont build on it. Let's see how many MORE home fans go today. What has the club done to attract the fans back for this game.

There is a real issue with actually buying tickets, it's a recurring issue on twitter "is anyone answering the phones".

We simply need to make more effort to promote GFC as a great day out but that needs success on the pitch.

People often mention Lincoln and their big gates. I work there a lot so have taken an interest in them. They were struggling in non league but then had a few year of success the FACup run, the paint pot trips to Wembley and finally promotion back to league. We need a run of success. The city of Lincoln also really takes pride in their local team. Does medway?

For me we need to make a decision, go for growth and invest in the team OR accept what we are and become a successful league one team. Ditch the new stadium and rebuild the town end. Once we start getting 10K regular we can look at new stadiums.
But Lincoln is a long way away from the lure of London PL teams

But Lincoln is a long way away from the lure of London PL teams

True Phil, although Nottingham, Hull, Leicester and Sheffield are all fairly close and they all have big city clubs.

I think we just have to accept that the London clubs are close by and work on the next generation who don't have any affiliation to london clubs

We don't do enough in my view.

Steve Evans quoted as saying -

Steve Evans on a potential #Gills signing - likely Akinde - that fell through this week:

“Our chairman sanctioned me to sign a player on Thursday to an individual wage that’s really high for this football club. People couldn’t believe that I said no...”

Hmm. All mind games? Or did it really go down like that?

Is Steve aiming comments at the fans to let them know we are trying hard or to the player concerned that we will pay a little extra but not what he’s demanding, so we will look elsewhere?

I can’t find the original article of the quote, but assuming it’s true and assuming it’s KoL (if that’s not an oxymoron). Also the poster of the comment assumed it’s Akinde being talked about but not sure.

Incidentally, Jon Akinde wasn’t in Lincoln squad at all yesterday. Don’t know why but it has sure sent twitter abuzz again.

Last edited:
Take what Evans says in these press conferences with a pinch of salt. Some of it will be designed to pressurise Scally into action. I’m with your mind games interpretation.

I said last week I was fed up with Evans's whinging about the budget; and he's off again; Trying to cover up his 'hype' pre-season that he'd get us to playoffs not be around relegation zone; and maybe setting up a new job if he plans to walk in May , which I hope is likely

Lincoln who we saw recently are very average had two near 9K crowds this week (Akinde not in squad today) ; lessons to be learnt? - young progressive manager who encourages good football and team spirit,and good local promotion of the club

Evans's angst approach and whinging will never build a progressive club, and even if the team is more solid, with its aging journeymen and largely hoofball the crowds wont come back

There are young managers out there, and lots of higher level clubs willing to loan players for devt., and some local lads to build the sort of team/club the local community could support
- it almost happened with Edinburgh in the Dack-year

I said last week I was fed up with Evans's whinging about the budget; and he's off again; Trying to cover up his 'hype' pre-season that he'd get us to playoffs not be around relegation zone; and maybe setting up a new job if he plans to walk in May , which I hope is likely

Lincoln who we saw recently are very average had two near 9K crowds this week (Akinde not in squad today) ; lessons to be learnt? - young progressive manager who encourages good football and team spirit,and good local promotion of the club

Evans's angst approach and whinging will never build a progressive club, and even if the team is more solid, with its aging journeymen and largely hoofball the crowds wont come back

There are young managers out there, and lots of higher level clubs willing to loan players for devt., and some local lads to build the sort of team/club the local community could support
1. Evans didn’t say he’d get us to the play offs. He said his aim was not to be struggling and to have a crack at the play offs if possible. He said he’d definitely make us better at home.

2. Lincoln have just enjoyed back to back promotions. I think you may be confused about their manager. Are you thinking about the Cowley brothers who are now at Huddersfield ? Appleton has been around for quite a while. You don’t think we’ve got good team spirit. That’s not what I see.

3. Ageing journeymen ? Apart from Fuller, Lee and possibly O’Keefe The side is full of youngsters.

4. As we have development squad players from premiership sides on loan, I have no idea what you’re on about.

Oh, sorry, your whole post is just an Anti Evans rant. How tedious.

I said last week I was fed up with Evans's whinging about the budget; and he's off again; Trying to cover up his 'hype' pre-season that he'd get us to playoffs not be around relegation zone; and maybe setting up a new job if h

And when you whinged last week about Evans, it was pointed out he has never “whinged” he just points out he’s working with no money. Never once have I heard him say “it’s not good enough, I want more”. In fact he’s often said he’s enjoying the challenge of proving himself with limited resources.

But it hasn’t stopped you whinging again.

Agree with TRW, the rest is just an anti-Evans rant full of made up rubbish.

Ageing journeymen ? Apart from Fuller, Lee and possibly O’Keefe The side is full of youngsters.

We are all aging but even Lee and O'Keefe are only 28. Max is 27.

Marshall is 32 and Pringle is 31 but they are not getting much game time.

Bazza Fuller is the only over 30 player that is a regular.

Given four of the starting line up are on loan and not our players the age of the side is a little irrelevant.

Blimey, 11.38 on a saturday night must be the gate 13 meeting at the Queens Head

“Our chairman sanctioned me to sign a player on Thursday to an individual wage that’s really high for this football club. People couldn’t believe that I said no...”

I would hope that wasn't Akinde. IF we were to spend that type of money I would hope it would be some young talent who we could likely sell on for large profit in the future.

The bit thats confusing is that Scally agreed to it but Evans decided against it. I thought the process was Evans identifies the players he wants and then scally does the deal. This seemed to be in reverse.

Oh well we'll see what happens at the end of next week.

I would hope that wasn't Akinde. IF we were to spend that type of money I would hope it would be some young talent who we could likely sell on for large profit in the future.

The bit thats confusing is that Scally agreed to it but Evans decided against it. I thought the process was Evans identifies the players he wants and then scally does the deal. This seemed to be in reverse.

Oh well we'll see what happens at the end of next week.

Unless SE says “here’s 4 players I want”, PS then contacts the clubs and agents to discuss and agree terms. Then goes back and says “player X wants to be something special Steve, he is asking for £££ a week!”.

Pure speculation of course, but however it happens it does show good man management to not risk the apparent good feeling in the dressing room by bringing in someone on much more than the rest.

As for the guy earlier that wants SE to fail and fuck off to another club, just so he can go “told you so”. Are you really for real?

Unless SE says “here’s 4 players I want”, PS then contacts the clubs and agents to discuss and agree terms. Then goes back and says “player X wants to be something special Steve, he is asking for £££ a week!”.

Pure speculation of course, but however it happens it does show good man management to not risk the apparent good feeling in the dressing room by bringing in someone on much more than the rest.

As for the guy earlier that wants SE to fail and fuck off to another club, just so he can go “told you so”. Are you really for real?
I think there is a fair chance that your statement could have some bit of truth in it.
However there is perhaps a slight chance that Evans was offered a player exchange.A striker on a permanent deal in return for one of our players.
I would like to ask that fans modify their language there is no need to swear at other supporter's who do not share your views.

not necessarily anything to do with that - Evans will know the playing budget and may not want to spend such a sizeable chunk of it on that particular player

Its interesting to read the differing points of view on this thread, yes we need investment to progress but the reality is we are a million miles away from being able to survive in the Championship should we get there.
You only have to look at the bottom half of that league all wealthy clubs and most out of our league financially, could we realistically compete?
Also as Chris Who comments, Medway is in reality a London over spill conurbation. Stand by the M2/A2 on a Saturday and you'll see where the football supporters are heading. Paul Scally acknowledged this when he was looking at Cuxton.
I personally would like to see us being financially sound and competitive in League one than getting hammered in the Championship or flirting with relegation to League two.

Lack of real long term local employment also has a knock on affect on any area.IE a area with local jobs means people will have more mates locally more local connections.Since the decline of the Dockyard and it's closure there has been no real replacement.Look at people you know how many (have in the Scally era)or currently work in Medway? I did until 1985. On top of that many have family roots outside of Medway. I was born and lived a fair bit of my life in London. As have most of my wider family.My brothers are both Spurs fans.One has been a season ticket holder off and on. As is one of my nephews.
Dad was married in Vicarage Road Watford so his loyalty was always with the Hornets all be it many decades since he saw them play.
I suspect many on here and in the wider community have the same sort of stories. But other areas have long term local communities,companies and links .Medway in the main does not have that link with each other.
Even our Chairman has his roots at and around Millwall.
To say nothing of our vast majority of players which of course is fairly common these days.But even going back when players did not often move as much.A lot of our players were from outside the area.I suspect that areas like Yorkshire and Lancashire the Midlands for example have more players with closer local links.
It is harder for a football club to have those links when the community itself is so disjointed.

Last edited:
I believe what the club really needs is a much bigger link with the community. IE A local chairman with those links and passions for the local area.And few more of our own local players ideally. Although that will be hard to achieve if not near impossible with no other local league club. Scally has taken us as far as he can .There have been some great times but in my view under his guidance it is hard to see how we can progress any higher.Or indeed change the image of the club for the better locally. In many ways getting a overseas investor in a ground building scheme that the club don't own would in my view make matters worse.
At the moment rightly or wrongly GFC is seen as Scally's GFC with all the baggage that goes with it.Detach Priestfield and it's roots with the past. Bring in a foreign investor building a new stadium which is what Scally appears to want .Will leave us in a Coventry type situation very quickly in my view only considerably worse.