SE talking about budget - again! | Page 6 | Vital Football

SE talking about budget - again!

To be fair, any signing is a risk (unless you can afford a Messi or a Ronaldo) and I would go as far as to say strikers more than any other position. Rarely do they come off in such spectacular fashion as Eaves for example (and even he took a while to get going). We just have to trust that SE is serious in his quest for a good 'un or that one of the ones we have will eventually click. The chances of getting a ready made 20+ a season one with our spending power, are remote to say the least.

he did say depends on what happens before the end of the window, with a smile. Seemed to be saying that they might have to take the Akinde ( if that's who it is) deal if nothing else materialises.

It is very similar talk to August, when for the last ten days we were expecting “one or two” before the club confirmed on deadline day that we won’t be signing anyone. I feel the same thing could happen again which leaves me torn - it’s clear we are a couple of players short of properly competing, but at the same time, if we don’t sign anyone I’ll give PS and SE the benefit of the doubt, and assume it’s stupid wage demands, transfer fees or agents that’s stopping it. I’d rather sign no-one than someone like Billy King or Rhys Murphy, but we don’t get the benefit of hindsight when we sign no-one.

Just looked up Rhys Murphy's wiki page. He still looks quite impressive as a goalscorer, albeit National League.

- it’s clear we are a couple of players short of properly competing, but at the same time, if we don’t sign anyone I’ll give PS and SE the benefit of the doubt, and assume it’s stupid wage demands

I’d qualify the “competing” remark by adding its “competing to be in the top 6”. We seem to be competing with and matching just about every team we’ve played for the past 2 months including some top 6 teams and the ‘Ammers.

Another thing Evans said in that interview was that he had another player (not the high wage one) in on Sunday that he expected to sign last Monday. It fell through not because of us or the player but “the parent club shifted the goalposts dramatically and in a manner disrespectful to the player”.

I wonder what happened there? Parent club would suggest either a loanee in (we are maxed out tho?) or someone currently on loan elsewhere that we were looking to sign permanently. And I wonder what shifted and how it’s disrespectful? All quite strange.

I’d qualify the “competing” remark by adding its “competing to be in the top 6”. We seem to be competing with and matching just about every team we’ve played for the past 2 months including some top 6 teams and the ‘Ammers.

Another thing Evans said in that interview was that he had another player (not the high wage one) in on Sunday that he expected to sign last Monday. It fell through not because of us or the player but “the parent club shifted the goalposts dramatically and in a manner disrespectful to the player”.

I wonder what happened there? Parent club would suggest either a loanee in (we are maxed out tho?) or someone currently on loan elsewhere that we were looking to sign permanently. And I wonder what shifted and how it’s disrespectful? All quite strange.
The only possible thing is the club were willing to pay a percentage of their wages for a certain period and that was then changed.

Some premiership player are self employed, they normally open a ltd company and invoice then pay own tax

Is this a fact? Or are you stating something that you heard from the bloke down the pub?

Players would be employed by their clubs for the purposes of tax and therefore paid under PAYE. There might be image rights and other things that are not directly related to the employment, which might be channelled through a corporate structure.

...Or the club decided they wanted a fee after saying the player could move for free

If that’s the case, I wonder if it is possibly Hopper at Sarfend we may have spoken to? Evans previously said same div and close to us geographically.

Southend have said he’s been granted permission to talk to Lincoln and it’s expected he’ll go there for a fee.

I wonder if he was maybe going to come to us as a free transfer (to save Southend the wages till end of season when he’s out of contract). Then maybe Southend got wind of Lincoln’s interest and slapped a transfer fee on him. Just a speculation.

Pity if that’s the case as Southend fans seem very unhappy he’s leaving, even for a decent fee.

Another public statement that we have the Lowest budget in league one in the marshall article in KoL

Scally wont be happen about him continuously highlighting this.

Hard to believe the likes of Accrington and Rochdale is higher than ours. A bit shameful if so.

It will cause him to fall out with scally though.

Another public statement that we have the Lowest budget in league one in the marshall article in KoL

Hard to believe the likes of Accrington and Rochdale is higher than ours. A bit shameful if so.

His latest quote about having the lowest budget is on the official website. I’d have thought if PS was upset about it, he wouldn’t allow that sentence to be included there.

Indeed, didn`t SE indicate a couple of days back that PS had sanctioned an expensive acquisition, the implication being that the player was someone SE didn`t feel we could afford (that`s how I inferred it, notwithstanding dressing room happiness) but SE declined it ! PS seems to be willing to pay a decent price so unless the SE chat is (PS agreed) negotiating strategy, his comments are not constructive.

The obvious thing for me about Scally and Evans is that they get on.

I don't think for a second that we have the lowest budget in League One.

If Scally was bothered Evans wouldn't keep repeating the trick.

As others have stated it's for effect only. Whether it's to set fan / player / agent or opposition expectations I don't know but it's clearly not true and Scally clearly (for me at least) does not care about it!