SE talking about budget - again! | Vital Football

SE talking about budget - again!

This is getting a bit tedious now. SE must have known the budget situation when he took on the job. Players are not attracted to come to GFC for a variety of reasons but I guess mainly because they can earn more elsewhere. Scally obviously will not provide great sums of money - yes I know he only has funds through mainly gate receipts and our attendances are poor - but the damage was done under Taylor/Pennock/Lovell serving up that shit at home games and those disillusioned fans have not returned. Sorry but he has to just get on with it.

2 weeks of the window left. We all dream of some 'free' extra money appearing to fund a player above the grade we can normally afford. However, we have a chairman who is more reluctant than most to bust a budget. This season, more than any appears to be the one where he has a manager and squad that can almost challenge for a play off spot. That in turn would improve attendances and the chances of attracting the finances he requires to achieve the new stadium complex dream. It must be tempting to give SE what he wants but of course, it guarantees nothing.

I read that article In anticipation wondering exactly where he said “I want more money”. That would be a big step to say that directly in public rather than inferring it through low budget talk.

But he doesn’t. He’s just reiterated we don’t have any. Sounds like just last weeks/last months news. In fact, I’m sure I’ve read the quotes from other club chairmen before months ago. Either Steve’s just saying it again for effect, or I think it’s all just KM rehash.

Move on, nothing to see here.

I read that article In anticipation wondering exactly where he said “I want more money”. That would be a big step to say that directly in public rather than inferring it through low budget talk.

But he doesn’t. He’s just reiterated we don’t have any. Sounds like just last weeks/last months news. In fact, I’m sure I’ve read the quotes from other club chairmen before months ago. Either Steve’s just saying it again for effect, or I think it’s all just KM rehash.

Assuming the quotes are new he's referring to "being backed before" which infers he's not being backed now.

I have a different theory on the budget. It might be all wrong but if Mr Scally did indeed have an agreement in place with our bankers to reduce or write off the debt as part of any deal surely the bank would have something in there to say we cant have an overdraft facility to build up debt again?

it might not be Mr Scally not wishing to get a player or 2 in but the rules of the agreement, which we will never know not enabling the football club to go beyond the set boundaries of any said agreement???

As I say just a theory in my head.

I actually want Evans to keep talking about this. The failure to secure any significant additional investment since our promotion to the Championship in 2000 has been Scally's biggest failing. Our chairman needs to reminded! We've got £200,000+ in the bank from the cup run. No excuses.

when he was appointed a lot of people were saying, he will fail because of of his previous success was only because he was backed by big spending and big budgets. I think he is enjoying proving people wrong and wants to make everyone aware of it. If he gets us close to the play offs he will be poached before the start of next season.

I quite agree, these threads seem to keep getting posted but I've never seen anything attributed to Steve to suggest that he didn't know what he was getting into, was misled or regrets his decision, or that Scally isn't working hard trying to deliver what hes asking for.

Of course any manager would like a bigger budget.

I am surprised the chairman has not commented on the constant mention of the budget by SE. Other managers have not been around long after any criticism.
Is SE saying our budget is below that of Accrington Stanley ? If it is something has gone badly wrong.
It may well be the chairman has reduced the playing budget from what was agreed with the manager during contract negotiations.
Steve Evans has now got on his C.V did a great job at Gillingham with a piss poor playing budget and may not be around for much longer.
I am enjoying the season so far and it would be good if SE could end it here , but think that's unlikely at the moment.

when he was appointed a lot of people were saying, he will fail because of of his previous success was only because he was backed by big spending and big budgets. I think he is enjoying proving people wrong and wants to make everyone aware of it. If he gets us close to the play offs he will be poached before the start of next season.

Poached or hard boiled?

I would rather have a chairman who watches the pennies than the likes of Maidstone, Bury, Bolton,Macclesfield,Southend etc.

I have a different theory on the budget. It might be all wrong but if Mr Scally did indeed have an agreement in place with our bankers to reduce or write off the debt as part of any deal surely the bank would have something in there to say we cant have an overdraft facility to build up debt again?

it might not be Mr Scally not wishing to get a player or 2 in but the rules of the agreement, which we will never know not enabling the football club to go beyond the set boundaries of any said agreement???

As I say just a theory in my head.

We don't bank with the same firm that wrote the overdraft off

I am surprised the chairman has not commented on the constant mention of the budget by SE. Other managers have not been around long after any criticism.
Is SE saying our budget is below that of Accrington Stanley ? If it is something has gone badly wrong.
It may well be the chairman has reduced the playing budget from what was agreed with the manager during contract negotiations.
Steve Evans has now got on his C.V did a great job at Gillingham with a piss poor playing budget and may not be around for much longer.
I am enjoying the season so far and it would be good if SE could end it here , but think that's unlikely at the moment.
Criticism of the chairman has never been an obvious criteria for changing the manager. It’s always been about results on the pitch. The one exception was Pulis and I don’t think many blame Scally for that one.

I bet that Portsmouth fans reckoned that spending £1 million on Marquis would make them nailed on for promotion. It’s not looking like that right at the minute.

Poached or hard boiled?

I would rather have a chairman who watches the pennies than the likes of Maidstone, Bury, Bolton,Macclesfield,Southend etc.

This isn't a Chairman who is watching the pennies out of choice IMO. He didn't watch the pennies in getting us into the debt in the first place.

The question now IMO is how long before SE gets frustrated and walks. Yes he knew the budget when he arrived but maybe now he's thinking having done a decent job till now he'd get backing in this transfer window to see how far a few additions could take us. Don't know whether SE is continually mentioning our lack of budget to show how good a job he's doing on limited/non existent resources compared with other clubs or if he's trying to shame the Chairman into loosening the purse strings. Either way it's getting repetitive.

Despite not liking SE I don't think anyone can argue that he's done a decent job, the question now is how far could be take it IF given the backing of a couple of additions in this transfer window, but maybe more importantly has PS actually got the ability to give SE what he wants or even the authorisation. PS hasn't in the past been shy to back managers which makes me now think that despite what PS might say, it's not totally his call.

Yes it's great to hold onto the likes of Tucker and Ogilivie but at some point we have to show ambition as a club, that's not having a bottom one, two or three league one budget and accepting that's the way it is, especially when you have a manager who has given hope.

Last edited:
The reason Evans keeps on talking about budget is in my opinion is twofold, firstly he hopes Scally will be more flexible, the same as any manager will do, it happens at most clubs, 2 he don’t want some fans moaning all the time, I’ve read people saying we got two or three hundred thousand out of cup run, that is not a huge amount in football terms, a good striker earns close too that per annum.
We have a very decent squad with a good atmosphere,do we risk players getting into the why is he getting more than me ? they Evans/Rayner know what they need.