SE Recruitment | Vital Football

SE Recruitment

Captainreblue

Vital 1st Team Regular
Following on from the SE and Raynor thread and as I'm bored on a furlough day so thought I'd look their signings since arriving at GFC. Think it's a really mixed bag of whether they've worked or not. I actually thought we'd signed more than 35 players since SE arrived.

Permanent signings:

Bonham. Samuel. Woods
Cisse. Dempsey
Mandron. Oliver
Ogilvie. Mellis
Marshall. Graham
Hodson. MacDonald
Willock. Maghoma
O'Keefe. Akinde
Jackson. Pringle
McKenzie. Tucker
Bastien Walsh
Johnson

Loans:

Jakubiak. Robertson
Medley. Eccles
Coyle. Cundy
Drysdale. Lumley
Ndjoli. Morton
Jones. Roberts
O'Connor. Slattery
Lee.

Last edited:
When you look at that list it is hard to see the successful signings through all the deadwood and bang average. Well done for ploughing through it.In defence of Evans I would say he almost certainly would not have such a vast number of very average signings with a better budget. Some players are s risk because of previous injury record. Or simply a untested player at our level.

Not sure I agree, Chris. The likes of Dempsey, Ogilvie and Graham are high quality signings and Bonham was a good capture too. Personally, i`ve also enjoyed watching most of the young loanees that SE got in.

Following on from the SE and Raynor thread and as I'm bored on a furlough day so thought I'd look their signings since arriving at GFC. Think it's a really mixed bag of whether they've worked or not. I actually thought we'd signed more than 35 players since SE arrived.

Permanent signings:

Bonham. Samuel. Woods
Cisse. Dempsey
Mandron. Oliver
Ogilvie. Mellis
Marshall. Graham
Hodson. MacDonald
Willock. Maghoma
O'Keefe. Akinde
Jackson. Pringle
McKenzie. Tucker

Loans:

Jakubiak. Robertson
Medley. Eccles
Coyle. Cundy
Drysdale. Lumley
Ndjoli. Morton
Jones. Johnson
O'Connor. Slattery
Lee.

Don`t forget Joe Walsh - signed to a 3 year pro-contract and has already made dosh for GFC. Jack Tucker (contract extension) will also make money for GFC.

Permanent signings:
1=Good
2=OK
3=Meh
0=can't judge
Bonham. 1 Samuel. 2 Walsh 1
Cisse. 3 Dempsey 1
Mandron. 2 Oliver 1
Ogilvie. 1 Mellis 3
Marshall. 2 Graham 1
Hodson. 2 MacDonald 2
Willock. 3 Maghoma 3
O'Keefe. 2 Akinde 2
Jackson. 2 Pringle 2
McKenzie. 2 Tucker 2

Loans:

Jakubiak. 2 Robertson 1
Medley. 3 Eccles 2
Coyle. 2 Cundy 1
Drysdale. 0 Lumley 0
Ndjoli. 3 Morton 0
Jones. 1 Johnson 0
O'Connor. 1 Slattery 1
Lee. 1
My thoughts on the signings are just that - my thoughts and I realise others will see things differently we all have our personal favourites or players we would rather see parked on the bench. I would add that just giving a number makes it, in a couple of cases, seem harsh, for example Tucker only gets a 2 in my estimation solely based on the fact that he is not playing at the same level he was last year, whereas Walsh (even though he hardly played) gets a 1 because we have earned some money on him after his move to QPR.

My thoughts on the signings are just that - my thoughts and I realise others will see things differently we all have our personal favourites or players we would rather see parked on the bench. I would add that just giving a number makes it, in a couple of cases, seem harsh, for example Tucker only gets a 2 in my estimation solely based on the fact that he is not playing at the same level he was last year, whereas Walsh (even though he hardly played) gets a 1 because we have earned some money on him after his move to QPR.
Tucker's lack of performances this year could be down to any number of things.
Unsettled due to rumours.
The opposition managers finding weaknesses.
The most likely in my view is simply not getting good advice from those along side him.
I am sure fans can think of a few other possible reasons for him lack of form.

The most likely in my view is simply not getting good advice from those along side him.
Agreed, I could probably come with a couple myself but that would be unfair - I have no idea what is going on in his life at the moment and therefore I prefer not to speculate, just go with what I can see and, unfortunately, he is not at the same level as last year. Hopefully it is just a blip and full service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Not sure I agree, Chris. The likes of Dempsey, Ogilvie and Graham are high quality signings and Bonham was a good capture too. Personally, i`ve also enjoyed watching most of the young loanees that SE got in.
I wasn't saying that there weren't any successful signings only that that seeing a list like the one above makes them hard to find.Too my mind any lack of progress is primarily down to budget.In my view our managers over the last few years have done well to keep us in league one.The very fact that we can point to having got through so many players. The good get sold or walk at the end of a deal the bad get released. All Gillingham managers have struggled to get the players perhaps many worse to some extent by the isolated location in football terms.Thats why I have always believed in a Crewe Alexander type approach.Investment in the development of players costs we have had successes dispite the system not because of it.

I think that last season Jack had the luxury of playing in a pretty settled back line and did benefit from being alongside the experienced Max Ehmer, that probably helped Jack in breaking into the first team as a regular. This campaign, there have been many variations in mixing and matching the central defence, a situation which possibly hasn`t helped young Jack work on his consistency. TBH, in my view Jack has played pretty well and, most importantly for him, he continues to evidence the kind of awareness and composure that could see him play at a higher level.

In my view getting rid of Mark Patterson and not replacing him with someone better was a area I find difficult to agree with in management policy. Over the years we have had some decent youth coaches.Coaches who have proved their worth I would love for Craig Stone to prove me wrong in the coming years.In my view that is the area I would like to see a change for the better.Get in a really good coach that could produce players if Craig Stone is the man let him prove it if not he has got to go.

In my view getting rid of Mark Patterson and not replacing him with someone better was a area I find difficult to agree with in management policy. Over the years we have had some decent youth coaches.Coaches who have proved their worth I would love for Craig Stone to prove me wrong in the coming years.In my view that is the area I would like to see a change for the better.Get in a really good coach that could produce players if Craig Stone is the man let him prove it if not he has got to go.

Evans has spoken highly of Craig Stone in the past and he was part of the coaching team away at Sunderland recently.