Scunthorpe Utd FC | Vital Football

Scunthorpe Utd FC

collingham imps

Vital Squad Member
See that they have parted company with McCall - strange decision with only a handful of games left - but they are in a fairly precarious position - hope they stay up as if we get into Div 1 then we have a close by local derby

Its an absolutely mad league this year, half of the entire lot of them could still go down, whilst posh sit in the last play off spot and fans and manager alike dont know how the hell they.ve managed it. The teams above posh are in a class of their own. I think we might do better next year than many of us dare to expect,

On the other hand, we have not been Lincolnshire's top club since 1978-79 when City finished bottom of the Third Division while Grimsby and Scunthorpe were in the Fourth; Grimsby passed us on our way down, and ever since then either they or Scunthorpe (or both) have finished above us in the league. If Scunthorpe come down, we will be top dog from the first day of next season, otherwise we will just have to finish above Scunthorpe by the end of it.

On the other hand, we have not been Lincolnshire's top club since 1978-79 when City finished bottom of the Third Division while Grimsby and Scunthorpe were in the Fourth; Grimsby passed us on our way down, and ever since then either they or Scunthorpe (or both) have finished above us in the league. If Scunthorpe come down, we will be top dog from the first day of next season, otherwise we will just have to finish above Scunthorpe by the end of it.
Interesting, I didn't realise we had never been top dogs in Lincolnshire since i started supporting in 1980. Great times. Another feather in the cap of the Cowleys if we better Scunny next season.

Would have liked both Scunny and Bradford to stay up, would be good away trips, along with Sunderland, Peterborough, Doncaster and Barnsley to stay down! Likes of Shrews and Southend less bothered about staying up...

The teams above posh are in a class of their own. I think we might do better next year than many of us dare to expect,

Personally I would be content with a 5th from bottom finishing position, but when you have the momentum and fanbase we have, not to mention yet another new challenge for the Cowley's, then anything is possible as proved by Luton Town.

See that they have parted company with McCall - strange decision with only a handful of games left - but they are in a fairly precarious position - hope they stay up as if we get into Div 1 then we have a close by local derby

Actually i would be more than happy for them to be heading the opposite direction to us!
As ScotImp said, it would make us Lincs club for starters.
Plus Glanford Park has to be one of the most miserable examples of the cheap new build grounds going. Hate going there.
And last visit, got my then car vandalised so another reason to have away at Scunny last on my list.

Glanford is a horrible place to play and particularly to watch football, like a disused B&Q with a hole cut in the roof. Soulless, devoid of atmosphere. It probably suffers from being one of the first of the new breed of football stadia.
I believe it was the first one which probably accounts for a lot of the mistakes. Not least you will never convince me that they didn't wrongly measure the width of the ground's footprint - it is so narrow.

The surroundings aren't great either. You need a spare day to get out of the car park, it's like running the bull in Pamplona!

I believe it was the first one which probably accounts for a lot of the mistakes. Not least you will never convince me that they didn't wrongly measure the width of the ground's footprint - it is so narrow.
And the length. There's a reason the nets usually drape just behind the goal line!