Scunthorpe Utd FC | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scunthorpe Utd FC

And the length. There's a reason the nets usually drape just behind the goal line!
Think Vale Park was the last new ground before Scunny so there wasn’t a lot to draw ideas from. There were no grants available at that time either, so they only had the money from The a Old Showground sell to use. At the time it didn’t seem too bad to me but Does look dated now. Interesting fact is that The Stacey West stand is a copy of one of their end stands minus the tunnels. It and Glumford were built by Budge.

Hope they stay up and we put them right in their place in the derbies next season.

No league wins for them at the Bank since 1991.

The only defeat I can recall was the pivotal one on the final home game of 87` when Andy Flounders popped up with 2 very late goals .... even then nobody feared we'd go down at Swansea the following weekend.

The only defeat I can recall was the pivotal one on the final home game of 87` when Andy Flounders popped up with 2 very late goals .... even then nobody feared we'd go down at Swansea the following weekend.
Well...I for one felt our cards were marked after that game.

Steve Evans, Phil Brown, Russell Slade, Kevin Nolan and David Hopkin all in the betting for next their next boss. Names to make one shudder.

Glanford is a horrible place to play and particularly to watch football, like a disused B&Q with a hole cut in the roof. Soulless, devoid of atmosphere. It probably suffers from being one of the first of the new breed of football stadia.

It was the first of the new grounds that was built in the wake of the Taylor Report in fact it was the first new football stadium in England for 33 years.

It opened prior to the start of the 1988 season with a match against an England 11 including Kevin Keegan. I was actually there for that match as my mate is a big Scunny fan. If you think surrounds are soulless now boy oh boy it was literally in the middle of nowhere then! As for B&Q yes it does and it's now not great but it didn't look as dated then as it does now because you have to look at where the other teams were playing, standing on cinders at the Shay, cinders and wood blocks at Rochdale and bouncy wooden boarding at Layer Road, Colchester.

Such a shame because I use to really like The Old Showground and it was there that I saw my first ever away match watching The Imps.

Steve Evans, Phil Brown, Russell Slade, Kevin Nolan and David Hopkin all in the betting for next their next boss. Names to make one shudder.
I'm not so sure Nolan is as bad a some make out. His record at County was actually very good after taking over a relegation-bound side initially, and Hardy did exactly the wrong thing when he sacked him this season. Sacking your manager on 26 August because of poor results is ever so slightly unhinged, and Hardy is now reaping the benefits.

Yeah we lost to them towards the end of the 1990/91 season, Nicholson saw red in a 1-2 defeat, Tony Daws and Flounders scored.

Here you go!

I think prior to The Cowleys arrival that was the most mental it had ever been in an away end when Simon Yeo broke free and scored the winner to send us to the final.

Haha good find. Did his best Souness impression putting it into the centre spot after his jog around the pitch.

Here you go!

I think prior to The Cowleys arrival that was the most mental it had ever been in an away end when Simon Yeo broke free and scored the winner to send us to the final.

That play-off semi still feels like yesterday, amazing to think most of the 617 fanbase wasn’t even born then?

Scunny have had some great seasons since, so we are well overdue being back above them ... natural order resumed you could say?