Scunthorpe United (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Scunthorpe United (a): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
What 3 things did we learn from tonight's 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe United?

Minimum of 150 words required!

1) Our second XI is easily as good as a L1 team's second XI. Arguably, we created more and better chances than Scunthorpe and could have won it in normal time. I think we also learnt that Scunthorpe had not been practicing penalties!

2) It takes a while for players to get on method. This performance was much better than, say, the game against Blackburn and I think that will be down to the work DC and NC have been doing with the players since our exit from the Caraboa cup.

3) Under certain circumstances, Matt Rhead still has a part to play in our squad. He's not an impact sub. He actually needs to start to build up his effectiveness as the game progresses. When he can do this, he prgressively gets into the game and wears down opposition defences. Bringing him on for 20 minutes as plan B does not, in my opinion, suit his game at all.

1. How to enjoy yourself in Scunny on a Tuesday evening with 800 other LCFC fans;
2. The defense acquitted themselves quite well after a shaky start - Slocombe, Wharton and Wilson in particular - Wharton outstanding and Wilson took one for the team at the end; Pett's midfield mastery shone through as did Anderson's who got better as the game went on; when we sent for the Cavalry they delivered - Akinde and Andrade made a big difference - Andrade frightened them to death down the left;
3. Rheady's leadership skills and his ability to organises things and his hold up play shows he still has a lot to offer the team.