Scunny | Vital Football

Scunny

Gaz_Imp

Vital Football Hero
I've not got involved in much of the crowd size bragging some of our fans appear to have been doing recently. Feels a bit hypocritical bragging we have better crowds than Grimsby when they had better attendances than us for most our time in the non league.

But blimey, just watching goal rush. And it looks depressing at Glanford Park. No atmosphere at all. Wouldn't have a clue they are 5th in League 1. No wonder they have 'goal music'.

What was that attendance?

Quite interesting hearing Darrell Clarkes interview after saying there a well supported club but not a big club due to training on one solitary pitch and a stadium that is crumbling, sounds like the infrastructure at Rovers isn't great either.

The local faux hippies/middle class independent shop loving luvvies shafted rovers.

If all had gone to plan there would have been a Sainsbury’s at the mem and they would have had a 20k stadium at UWE!

We are fortune in that the people of lincoln actually like the imps!

oldgaurd - 12/11/2017 21:29

A pointless and smug thread.

Totally agree .

Does it really matter what other grounds hold and what their attendances are . There but for the grace....................

I always thought it was the results ON the green stuff that matter .

But hey ho , each to their own

I work in Scunny and not many people actually have them as their team. Many go off to watch the Sheffield clubs as well as Forest and Hull.

There's very little interest in Scunthorpe.

JT_LCFC - 12/11/2017 21:15

Quite interesting hearing Darrell Clarkes interview after saying there a well supported club but not a big club due to training on one solitary pitch and a stadium that is crumbling, sounds like the infrastructure at Rovers isn't great either.

cheshireimp - 12/11/2017 21:53

Totally agree .

Does it really matter what other grounds hold and what their attendances are . There but for the grace....................

Blimey. Course it is the results that matter.

But was just watching the highlights of their game, and is was the atmosphere I was commenting on more than the numbers. Just really poor, made me appreciate what we do have.

I just revel in the huge crowds and great atmosphere we have at the moment. It's all swings and roundabouts. All will all go back down to the hardcore at some point but let's enjoy it while we have it.

We as fans are doing no different than other fans would do in our position and they are reacting in no way different than we do when the boot is on the other foot.

All the naysayers should just enjoy it because crikey we have had more than our fair share of dross and no atmosphere over the years.

At the moment we have the best attendances and the best most vibrant atmosphere in. League 2. That is just fantastic enjoy it because it won't be here forever!!!! :grin:

bristolimp - 12/11/2017 21:46

The local faux hippies/middle class independent shop loving luvvies shafted rovers.

If all had gone to plan there would have been a Sainsbury’s at the mem and they would have had a 20k stadium at UWE!

We are fortune in that the people of lincoln actually like the imps!

If I recall correctly the UWE pulled out when they got a new VC as it was deemed not core business for them, as I understand it they claimed all they were getting was a car par out the deal. This is before it all went belly up with Sainsburys.

I must admit Glanford Park did seem a bit empty but they have always struggled to attract decent gates. I sometimes wonder if it is to do with the location of their ground. If it was more central would they get more?

cheshireimp - 12/11/2017 21:53

Totally agree .

It only matters when supporters of a team like Grimsby have been looking down their noses at us for years and ridiculing our support. It's only natural and right that we should ram it right back down their throats now the tables have turned. Can't really taint Scunny with the same brush, don't think they come over as Billy big bollox despite the fact they have been considerably better than us for some time, so in general I agree, attendances are nothing to get superior about but totally reserve the right to mock the cods, they fully deserve it.

The Imposter - 13/11/2017 09:26

I sometimes wonder if it is to do with the location of their ground. If it was more central would they get more?

It didn't do much for them when they were at the Old Showground, that was pretty much in the centre of Scunny.

Scunny do/did have plans to build a new ground 'over the road' from where they are. It would appear to have hit the buffers. Whether that is down to planning issues, the realisation that they will never need a bigger ground or other reason(s) I know not. As for the attendance gloating argument I'm personally enjoying the match day experience ride in the historically based expectation that at some point in the future we will crash. However as an Imp that grew up near Immingham I totally endorse what Long suffering Imp says about the Cods. They are our rivals and I love it.

Regardless of all that, they have done well in punching above their weight for the last decade whilst we've been languishing in L2 and then the Conference.

"I always thought it was the results ON the green stuff that matter ."

indeed, and it is often said that winning football brings crowds, and fans only jump on the bandwagon to support a successful team. Scunthorpe have been playing largely winning football for a few years, and specifically the last two years, in a league above us.

but still the crowds don't come.

maybe there is more to it than just results to raise interest... what we seem to be building is a club connected to the community, having a charismatic leader, evidence that things are improving across the board - not just on the green stuff. and an all round positive attitude. uti.

The Electric Banana - 13/11/2017 12:35

I sometimes wonder if it is to do with the location of their ground. If it was more central would they get more?

It didn't do much for them when they were at the Old Showground, that was pretty much in the centre of Scunny.

The Old Showground now that brings back some memories! I used to love going there for away games in my youth! That was a pretty big ground if memory serves me right.

It had the first ever cantilever stand in the country I believe!

Casperimp - 13/11/2017 20:52

The Old Showground now that brings back some memories! I used to love going there for away games in my youth! That was a pretty big ground if memory serves me right.

Correct, as the home of British Steel the Scunts were afforded the honour of the cantilever prototype. Much better ground than where they are now IMO and it was slightly bigger capacity wise than SB as I recall.

Gaz_Imp - 12/11/2017 22:10

JT_LCFC - 12/11/2017 21:15

Thought that was one of their better crowds (without loads of visitors).

hulloutpost - 13/11/2017 20:56

Casperimp - 13/11/2017 20:52

Correct, as the home of British Steel the Scunts were afforded the honour of the cantilever prototype. Much better ground than where they are now IMO and it was slightly bigger capacity wise than SB as I recall.

Don't forget the slope and the 3:15 KOs!