Scully to Blackpool? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scully to Blackpool?

NewsNow living up to its reputation as the place to go if you want unsubstantiated rumours. Far too many blogs get their crap published which is then replicated by all the other blogs that also appear on there. BTW I am not suggesting all blogs are crap.

Be a shame to lose him, but I'd rather get a fee now than lose him next season on a free. He signed a one-year extension early 2021 I think? Maybe the new deal and an extra year protection for us was in return for a release clause.

Be a shame to see him go but to me it just underlines how tough it is for a club of our size to survive at this level - uncover a hidden gem and we have them for two years, they get sold on and the process starts again. Get the recruitment wrong and we struggle to compete.

Maybe one day we’ll come to realise 17th last year with a transitional squad wasn’t ‘that’ bad.

The slight worry being that, if anything, we are even more transitional right now, what with the change of 'head coach' as well. The model dictates that we have to sell, but after three seasons in the division I don't feel that we are in a position where we can benefit from the continuity that you might expect from having played at this level for a while compared to a newly promoted club.
'The model', with developing and selling on, the use of lots of loan players, and bad luck with injuries all tend to work against team continuity both within and between campaigns.
But as you say the process repeats itself and works so long as the recruitment is right. But a bit more continuity would be nice.

GT did it going to Watford in 1977, Sam Ellis, John Ward, Dennis Booth

Sam Ellis followed him straight away, Booth about four months later, and Ward two years later.

Taylor also signed Ian Bolton from Notts County who played three times for us on loan at the start of 1976/77.

Sam Ellis followed him straight away, Booth about four months later, and Ward two years later.

Taylor also signed Ian Bolton from Notts County who played three times for us on loan at the start of 1976/77.
I think Taylor described Ian Bolton as the best signing he ever made.

Which poster was the one that said Maguire should be first on the team sheet every game!?

The slight worry being that, if anything, we are even more transitional right now, what with the change of 'head coach' as well. The model dictates that we have to sell, but after three seasons in the division I don't feel that we are in a position where we can benefit from the continuity that you might expect from having played at this level for a while compared to a newly promoted club.
'The model', with developing and selling on, the use of lots of loan players, and bad luck with injuries all tend to work against team continuity both within and between campaigns.
But as you say the process repeats itself and works so long as the recruitment is right. But a bit more continuity would be nice.
it would be an interesting exercise to compare the squad/club from summer 2019 with now. to test whether we are better set up as a team for a l1 season. thankfully we have plenty of continuity and progression at club/board level.

I think Taylor described Ian Bolton as the best signing he ever made.

In his autobiography Graham Taylor states:

'Bolton cost us £12,000, which was arguably the best signing of my career in terms of value for money.'

And regarding John Barnes:

'The fact we managed to sign him by giving Sudbury Court a set of football kit makes it the best transfer deal I ever did.'

It's a nice point, but I suppose he means Bolton was the best signing of those he had to pay an actual transfer fee for.

'

Just not sure I see this happening. I’ve never been convinced Appleton rated Scully as much as supporters despite goals. He dropped him fair few times. Think it’s press putting 2 and 2 together.

I have exactly the same opinion on Appleton rating Scully.

I was also never convinced he was 100% sure Scully was one of his top men.

Scully was out the picture during the playoff season when Johnson and Rodgers were performing. Again another player than in my opinion needs to be a tad fitter, and he will be superb.

Which poster was the one that said Maguire should be first on the team sheet every game!?

To be fair, that would be true if his bum was needed to keep the paper dry while the team are out on the pitch playing another team.