Scully to Blackpool? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Scully to Blackpool?

I have exactly the same opinion on Appleton rating Scully.

I was also never convinced he was 100% sure Scully was one of his top men.

I seem to remember he was often damning with faint praise about him in post match interviews. As well as his tap ins he did score some cracking goals though.

We’ve become too reliant on loan players to my mind. It’s great to bring them in to develop and freshen the aspiration/skills of our players, but we need to have more quality of our own in the midfield.

We’ve become too reliant on loan players to my mind. It’s great to bring them in to develop and freshen the aspiration/skills of our players, but we need to have more quality of our own in the midfield.
That costs money though, that we probably don't have. It's potentially win win with these prem loan players as they should bring our youngsters on as well as enhance our 11 in the short term. If we had quality players of our own, they'd be sought after and gone...
We need to be realistic about where we are in the food chain.

Loans play a big part of the game all the way down the pyramid i think its good to get the fringe players getting competitive games and getting ready to step up higher

I thought there was a comment somewhere that we would be looking to rely less on loan players going forward and that we were trying to replace them with our own players wherever possible.

I thought there was a comment somewhere that we would be looking to rely less on loan players going forward and that we were trying to replace them with our own players wherever possible.

But that will take time, developing the scholars to become potential first team starters wont happen overnight. Buying that extra quality also costs a lot of money so it’s a definite balancing act. To plug the gap it will still need a smattering of quality loans otherwise it would be a long hard season.

There was.

It was from Michael Appleton. He said it a year or more ago.

We all agree it would be better, if all our best players were our players, under long contracts.

He was in effect saying ... wouldn't the club be in a better position if we had had Brennan Johnson, Morgan Rogers, TJ Eyoma, Alex Palmer and Morton ready to go again in 2021-22.

Yes we would have been.

But that doesn't mean we would have been better off without any of those players on loan in 20-21, does it??

Nor that we would be better in 2022/23 without any loan players??

I think the attempt at decreased reliance on loans was in practice as well as just hopeful rhetoric rhetoric though last season. In 20/21 I seem to remember points where we had too many loans for the matchday squad? But at the start of last season realistically we only had fiorini and Griffiths as key players. N'lundulu and later Mair who never played, but more were our own.

We then ended up with Cullen, BNC, Whittaker on loan in Jan on top of fiorini and JG. 5 in Mapps first team arguably. Marquis was almost a loan type too, as I don't think that was ever on without Pompey subsidising. Maybe that business was an admission it hadn't totally worked...

The absolute ideal is getting a Scully or Edun, who in another world you might be loaning from west ham or Fulham.

I think the attempt at decreased reliance on loans was in practice as well as just hopeful rhetoric rhetoric though last season. In 20/21 I seem to remember points where we had too many loans for the matchday squad? But at the start of last season realistically we only had fiorini and Griffiths as key players. N'lundulu and later Mair who never played, but more were our own.

We then ended up with Cullen, BNC, Whittaker on loan in Jan on top of fiorini and JG. 5 in Mapps first team arguably. Marquis was almost a loan type too, as I don't think that was ever on without Pompey subsidising. Maybe that business was an admission it hadn't totally worked...

The absolute ideal is getting a Scully or Edun, who in another world you might be loaning from west ham or Fulham.
Not sure you are right.

In August we had Griffiths, Fiorini and Nlundulu...
but MA was hoping for 2 more forward signings in the days before the window shut one was Whittaker and the other never materialised.

So that's 5 wanted. Just not delivered.

Not sure you are right.

In August we had Griffiths, Fiorini and Nlundulu...
but MA was hoping for 2 more forward signings in the days before the window shut one was Whittaker and the other never materialised.

So that's 5 wanted. Just not delivered.

Wasn't the forward we were reportedly chasing Hanlan on a permanent (who went to Wycombe)?

It definitely felt more loan oriented to me in 20/21 when more squad type players like Gotts, Morton or slightly more left field ones like Soule were here on top of the big players.

Wasn't the forward we were reportedly chasing Hanlan on a permanent (who went to Wycombe)?

It definitely felt more loan oriented to me in 20/21 when more squad type players like Gotts, Morton or slightly more left field ones like Soule were here on top of the big players.

There were more loans in 20/21.

Obviously we were able to get 5 to start with...but I reckon there must have been special COVID rules because Soule arrived in October and so did Gotts.

Whereas in 21/22 once Whittaker was driving back to Swansea at the end of August that was it until January.

There was.

It was from Michael Appleton. He said it a year or more ago.

We all agree it would be better, if all our best players were our players, under long contracts.

He was in effect saying ... wouldn't the club be in a better position if we had had Brennan Johnson, Morgan Rogers, TJ Eyoma, Alex Palmer and Morton ready to go again in 2021-22.

Yes we would have been.

But that doesn't mean we would have been better off without any of those players on loan in 20-21, does it??

Nor that we would be better in 2022/23 without any loan players??

The reality is that L1 & L2 has for a long time been about who gets lucky with the loans!!