Scottish Independence | Vital Football

Scottish Independence

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Just did a youguv survey asking this.

So here you go, independence for Scotland?

I'm not over bothered.

I'd not let them pick and choose what they keep though. No Royal Mail, royals, military, currency.

Want to go it alone, go it alone.

I think it would be foolhardy in an every globalising world but will find the years debates fascinating.

Love how Sean Connery, who hasn't lived there for years, is one of the advocates to leave the uk.

Should be interesting, I doubt they will vote yes, but you never know!

I think if the people want independence their democratic voice should be heard. of course that means they have to shoulder their fair share of the national debt, and they have to give up a fair share of North sea oil. Not sure the SNP will that keen to do that.

Oh I agree mate, it will be, obviously, as there is the referendum which unless things have changed is a straight in out one.

Not bothered, never been , never will, and don't think I have anything to want them or don't want them for.

Not bothered either. There loss if they do vote for independence as they will soon find out that it was a bad move

That's it though they want independance on their own terms keeping everything of use. If they didn't Scotland would be bankrupt, and if people are moaning about Bulgarians et al, think of half of Scotland moving to England looking for jobs.

I know that's a bit extreme...but independance is vanity from the SNP.

They can't even give a straight answer to their claims on Europe, and if they don't get sterling they won't take the debt etc. Kids in a play ground. Even their white paper was full of hypotheticals stating how wonderful it would be, and most of them were naturally made on the back of getting their exact own way in terms of what they kept from the UK.

But hey democracy rules...where's our vote on independance?

As I understand it the vote is just to get the opinion of the Scottish people the details will be filled out later.

mike_field - 22/1/2014 12:10

That's it though they want independance on their own terms keeping everything of use. If they didn't Scotland would be bankrupt, and if people are moaning about Bulgarians et al, think of half of Scotland moving to England looking for jobs.

I know that's a bit extreme...but independance is vanity from the SNP.

They can't even give a straight answer to their claims on Europe, and if they don't get sterling they won't take the debt etc. Kids in a play ground. Even their white paper was full of hypotheticals stating how wonderful it would be, and most of them were naturally made on the back of getting their exact own way in terms of what they kept from the UK.

But hey democracy rules...where's our vote on independance?

Very good point! Shall we start a via the revolution for English independence. I am sure that would go down well :14:

I'm not going to vote because I would be a little disappointed, and that option is not there lol.

I don't think it will happen but the worry if you don't want independence is that Scottish people don't give a s*** either way, according to my mate who lived their for over a year, whoever he asked, and he asked a lot, virtually all said they didn't care.

That said, when push comes to shove I am certain people will have their say.

I just think we should have a vote after theirs to see if we should expel em from the UK lol.

Not sure Wurz...not heard that myself, thought it was the whole kit and caboodle vote. Seems an expensive way of guaging opinion when a vote could be held otherwise to judge opinions of the wider masses.

Also seems daft guaging opinion before all the pros and cons and advantages and risks have been clearly laid out.

But we suffer the same thing on the Euro vote to be honest.

Kef - would you really want to align yourself with UKIP PMSL

I don't think the vast majority of Scotland have really thought about it, far more important things in life to worry about, but it's all the SNP stand for.

Not sure wurzel, thought if they voted for independence that will be the result, if not, why take the vote?

Yes but the details of the split would have to be negotiated. There are no details yet.

It is a real pity that Sid Meier didn't do a game called Caledonia - a sort of better version of Civilisation.

Sim Jockoland.

So it would be possible to play through the various options which independence could offer the Scots.

Changing things like tax rates and benefit levels, etc; choose your economic model from Marxism to Anarcho-capitalism, run the game and see how it comes out.

Difficulty levels could be set by how hostile Westminster is, from benign acceptance and support to the full 'Cuba' embargo.

Pity he didn't.

Obviously it's up to them, but I wouldnt like them to go it alone, and I think they'd be foolish to do so. All things considered we make a good team, we share a lot of traditions, we enjoy an overall good relationship and I hope it stays that way.

If they do split I think they will certainly suffer more than the UK of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes, I see what you mean now wurzel . Should all be spelt out before really.

Lol onmyheadfred.

I read that if they get independence it will immediately make their tuition fees for English/Welsh/NI students illegal as they want to charge UK students more than Scottish / EU students which is in clear violation of EU law.

If they go for independence will will just end up subsidising them the way we do Ireland. Remember, it's the UK not the EU that has underwritten most of the Irish debt from the finance crisis. I can't see it being any different with Scotland. If they want independence that's fine but I don't see why the UK or even the EU should pick up the bill for it.

James06 - 22/1/2014 13:05

Obviously it's up to them, but I wouldnt like them to go it alone, and I think they'd be foolish to do so. All things considered we make a good team, we share a lot of traditions, we enjoy an overall good relationship and I hope it stays that way.

If they do split I think they will certainly suffer more than the UK of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Agree with this - I think it would be very sad to see Scotland part ways with the Union. The Royal family has massive ties with Scotland as does the British armed forces. Its a solid relationship deep down, yes we have the banter etc but that shouldnt cloud over all the traditions we share and how far we have came under a United Kingdom.

Ive also said before that if the vote favours staying in the Union we should invite Ireland to join in as well. Then Scotland, Ireland(as one North and South), Wales and England could hold a referendum to leave the Euro and we all go it alone as one team..

We have had Scottish Prime ministers, no reason the future couldnt have an Irish PM too.

No country in the Union has lost any of it's traditions. When you enter Wales etc - you know you are entering another country..So no reason why Ireland couldnt join too.