Score Predictions & Match Thread: England v Croatia | Page 4 | Vital Football

Score Predictions & Match Thread: England v Croatia

Sat too deep late on, but kept Modric under control throughout which was key and well worth the win, Phillips a revelation.

Sat too deep late on, but kept Modric under control throughout which was key and well worth the win, Phillips a revelation.

Phillips best player on the pitch, I didn't think he'd push forward so much.

First half think the space was in behind with Sterling and second half it was in front of their back four as they were a bit deeper. Philips and Mount found that space a couple of times and one was the goal

I do think Sterling did well with his finish though.

Croatia were much weaker than I expected. Ageing team not doing great in the heat, I guess.

Can't complain with 3 points but think we will fave much stronger tests once we are out of the groups.

I do think Sterling did well with his finish though.

Croatia were much weaker than I expected. Ageing team not doing great in the heat, I guess.

Can't complain with 3 points but think we will fave much stronger tests once we are out of the groups.

Well that's kind of every tournament ever isnt it?

Well that was entertaining! (Reading through this thread just now, I mean).

I thought we were well worth the win, and could/should have had two or three goals more, whereas Croatia never really looked like getting one.

Very surprised by the drive shown in the first 20 minutes. After that normal service resumed with both sides looking ordinary.
Good result. Croatia disappointing.
Phillips MOM by a street. Probably take him until the game on Friday to get his hair ready! Easier to look after hair is the only thing Rice has over him.

Sterling often underwhelming in internationals, but today you can see why he gets games. I thought he frightened the Croatian defence, by running at them. One of his better games, fair play to him.

is rice doing that thing, [mcgrandles-style] where all his good work goes unnoticed?

Multiple times rice cut out pull backs and crosses and tidied up. Thought he was a good base for Philips and Mount

The way Phillips was deployed surprised everybody, most importantly the Croatians.

Solid (Southgate adopting safety first) protection for the back four and probably did just enough to earn the win against a Croatia side that lacked composure on the rare occasions they got free.

Looking forward to a more high octane encounter in the Derby match coming up.

A comfortable win but it felt like we made hard work of it. Lots of sideways passing and one of the few occasions we play forward with a bit of speed, we score.

Walker was stinking in the first half, improved in the second. Would prefer a proper LB in the next game because otherwise we end up with two right footers on the left. Philips excellent, as was Rice who knew where to be and when. Probably not particularly noticed but that's a good sign in his position. Didn't quite click going forward but we didn't find them enough.

Sterling often underwhelming in internationals, but today you can see why he gets games. I thought he frightened the Croatian defence, by running at them. One of his better games, fair play to him.

is rice doing that thing, [mcgrandles-style] where all his good work goes unnoticed?
I don’t know really, can’t say I noticed him.