Schurlle opens up on "brutal" Jose | Vital Football

Schurlle opens up on "brutal" Jose

muttley

Alert Team
Interesting article from the Mirror - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...tV6jRSmLqAm-UllMpNiVdlFhTxMIKTBLGIFqmkqbqY7iw

Well worth a read. Here's Schurlle's quotes

"He's a brutal guy," Schurrle said. "I always thought to myself: What does he do anyway? Why does he treat me like this? Why does he do this to people?

"In retrospect, I realise what he wanted and what resources he was working with. At the time, I couldn't really deal with the things he wanted from me because of all the harshness and the psychological pressure.

"Back then, it was extremely difficult. I would often drive home after conversations with him and just thought I couldn't do it anymore. What could I do? He was building up such extreme pressure."

"It was often the case that I played from the start and then he'd replace me at half time," he added.

"Then, in the next game, I wasn't in the squad and I was in the stands. I couldn't understand that at the time and I lost my self-esteem. My ego was hurt.

"Then I started thinking about what might be going through his mind. Sometimes during training I had the feeling that he was only looking at me, even if that probably wasn't the case."

Perhaps a little more bashing of Jose by the main stream media. No surprises there. That being said, I does get me wondering whether Jose has adapted his management style over the years. There's also a school of thought about the great managers extracting the very best from every personality type in the dressing room. Can Jose?

It's also hard to read this article, whilst not casting a thought to Dele Alli. As much as he outperformed most of his team mates on Thursday, you do get the feeling that the psychological agenda is more important than the performance at this point in the manager / player relationship.

I think Jose slaps down the billy big bollocks players who think they are too good to be criticised or think they are beyond dropping. Dele it has been said doesn't train well and has a not so good brother who turns up sometimes. Ndombele we know had issues. Moura has stepped up his defensive game as has Son. Rose gave it the big I am and is now toast.

I think Jose slaps down the billy big bollocks players who think they are too good to be criticised or think they are beyond dropping. Dele it has been said doesn't train well and has a not so good brother who turns up sometimes. Ndombele we know had issues. Moura has stepped up his defensive game as has Son. Rose gave it the big I am and is now toast.

Totally agree. Squad game and as such check your ego at the door. And in some cases the response from the big ego's like Schurrle show just how fragile they are.

A hard line approach is OK. What is not OK is when you have the confidence knocked out of you and you can't perform because of the psychological pressure applied. That is tantamount to bullying and actually very poor management. I think that is what Schurrle has basically been telling the German media in relation to Jose. There is no implication he was a fancy dan or lazy in training.

I'm still ever hopeful that Jose can fix Dele and get him back to his best. He showed in 30 mins on Thursday why he operates at a higher level than players like Lamela and Moura. He demanded the ball all over the pitch and had touches and passes stats equal to both of them and he was only on the pitch for half hour. He also stretched them with his movement and created space for others. I want to see him back in the 18 man squad ahead of Moura, Lamela and Sissoko.

A hard line approach is OK. What is not OK is when you have the confidence knocked out of you and you can't perform because of the psychological pressure applied. That is tantamount to bullying and actually very poor management. I think that is what Schurrle has basically been telling the German media in relation to Jose. There is no implication he was a fancy dan or lazy in training.

I'm still ever hopeful that Jose can fix Dele and get him back to his best. He showed in 30 mins on Thursday why he operates at a higher level than players like Lamela and Moura. He demanded the ball all over the pitch and had touches and passes stats equal to both of them and he was only on the pitch for half hour. He also stretched them with his movement and created space for others. I want to see him back in the 18 man squad ahead of Moura, Lamela and Sissoko.

I had an old boss (the last Boss I ever had) who worked on the principle of 'make or break' - he broke many, but not me and would boast he made me.

He didn't. I did what I did because it was what I wanted to do/be.

I think he destroyed some real talent and it was just Lazy management, I still disagree with the 'make or break' approach to any form of management and have never used it and never will.

Of course the conundrum is Jose has been hugley successful with that single vision approach, or was it the riches he's had at his disposal?I suspect we will never know, but what we do know is it seems to work for him and I find myself praying that it will work for us.

I had an old boss (the last Boss I ever had) who worked on the principle of 'make or break' - he broke many, but not me and would boast he made me.

He didn't. I did what I did because it was what I wanted to do/be.

I think he destroyed some real talent and it was just Lazy management, I still disagree with the 'make or break' approach to any form of management and have never used it and never will.

Of course the conundrum is Jose has been hugley successful with that single vision approach, or was it the riches he's had at his disposal?I suspect we will never know, but what we do know is it seems to work for him and I find myself praying that it will work for us.

Like you, I'm not sure I even have it in me to follow that management style. I'm happy to help people to improve and also happy to release people if there is a mismatch between my expectation and their performance. It's never done in anything but a non-emotional and professional way though.

Jose seems to work best with consummate professionals who don't cause him any problems. I'm guessing he likes the subservient yes-men as well. Dele always had a strained relationship with his own father but seemed to love playing under Poch. I bet Jose's personality mixed signals approach confuses the hell out of him.

The same guy that says this “Sir Alex Ferguson gave me only one bit of advice in two and a half years: Buy Dele Alli. 'That guy, with that mentality, the way he plays, the aggression he has in mind. This guy is the Manchester United player."

Going from that superlative to being told publicly that you're f*cking lazy and then not making league squads and not making the EL eleven. Watching others play awfully and see them continually selected.

I bet Dele is one confused kid right now. We're probably now down to the last 2 to 3 weeks before Dele decides he needs to be elsewhere come January 1st.

I had the privilege of captaining several football and cricket teams over the years as well as running my own business until selling up. Frankly you have to know the people you are dealing with. Some you can give a roasting to knowing they will react positively with the attitude of I’ll show that bugger and others you have to stroke to encourage and cajole the best out of them. It is knowing your people. I never had problems either at sport or in business with my teams. Fortunate maybe but.......

I have broken a few , I'm not proud about it but they didnt have what it took. I was used for disciplinary procedures both in my own workplace and got called in to others because their managers weren't up to it. I wasnt affected emotionally by it, it was part of the job.
General rule of thumb, if you are soft, they will tread all over you.

So many people nowadays with great qualifications & their heads stuck in the clouds. I've come across a few in my time, some have moved on & a few have made sideways moves within the corporation. I've been in the game long enough to sense when someone is going to make it or not, so it's not very often i'm surprised.

Jose has a job to do....he needs players delivering what he asks them to do to the best of their ability....if Alli wants to play for us he has to start delivering his undoubted talent...if he isn’t prepared to grow a pair and do that he is no use to us.....if ND can do it then Alli has no excuse....it just shows a weak character and we can do without that.

Like you, I'm not sure I even have it in me to follow that management style. I'm happy to help people to improve and also happy to release people if there is a mismatch between my expectation and their performance. It's never done in anything but a non-emotional and professional way though.

Jose seems to work best with consummate professionals who don't cause him any problems. I'm guessing he likes the subservient yes-men as well. Dele always had a strained relationship with his own father but seemed to love playing under Poch. I bet Jose's personality mixed signals approach confuses the hell out of him.

The same guy that says this “Sir Alex Ferguson gave me only one bit of advice in two and a half years: Buy Dele Alli. 'That guy, with that mentality, the way he plays, the aggression he has in mind. This guy is the Manchester United player."

Going from that superlative to being told publicly that you're f*cking lazy and then not making league squads and not making the EL eleven. Watching others play awfully and see them continually selected.

I bet Dele is one confused kid right now. We're probably now down to the last 2 to 3 weeks before Dele decides he needs to be elsewhere come January 1st.

No one I've ever sacked - and I've sadly had to do alot of it, were never surprised when I did, but I was always careful to make sure that they'd have enough pride, enough self-worth left to go somewhere else and try and again.

I had one mantra to my management team that I'd repeat many times over - if any employee is surprised that they've been sacked for their performance then it's a management failing first and foremost.

Jose has a job to do....he needs players delivering what he asks them to do to the best of their ability....if Alli wants to play for us he has to start delivering his undoubted talent...if he isn’t prepared to grow a pair and do that he is no use to us.....if ND can do it then Alli has no excuse....it just shows a weak character and we can do without that.

True, but none of the previous seasons matter. You only look forward in football and work in the present. What I have seen in the last week is a guy that got left out of a league squad and then left out of a EL team selection. I saw a guy that came on the pitch as a 30 mins sub, worked incredibly hard and performed superbly. I saw a level of performance that Moura, Lamela, Bergwijn and Bale haven't got anywhere near all season.

The only agenda that matters is Jose doing the right things to help Dele get to levels his talents warrant. Even better than before. From what I've seen in the last few games, Dele should absolutely be more involved.