Schalke - Post match reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Schalke - Post match reaction

'Almost impossible to give'
Schalke 2-3 Manchester City
ca7b7551-cf73-4684-ad94-895272b0e601.jpg

Danny Mills
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 live
About the first penalty, I don't know. One week that gets given as a penalty, the following week it doesn't.
Referees tell me handball has to be deliberate, there's the distance from the ball, whether the arm is in an unnatural position - it's the most complicated law of all. It's almost impossible.
Maybe we should just say that if the arm hits your arm in the area, it's a penalty.

Schalke head coach Domenico Tedesco: "We're obviously very disappointed by the result. We deserved more.
"For one of the few times this season we had a bit of luck on our side. We knew we'd be pushed deep, but we were sloppy too often on the counter and conceding the goals we did late on was heartbreaking."
You were playing at home and you deserved nothing sitting on 2-1. You had the luck mate, not City.

Former Premier League referee Peter Walton on BT Sport: "I still think it's a penalty, the ball has travelled a distance and Nicolas Otamendi has every opportunity to move his arm away. The point is he has made contact with the ball with his arm in the box and for me it's a penalty kick."

Walton - as bent as a 9 Bob note. His logic was utterly questionable:-

1. “The ball travelled a distance”.
Not really a significant distance, approximately 6-7 yards at most (one third the depth of the penalty area)

2. “Otamendi has every opportunity to move his arm away”.
a) That ball was struck hard and it was travelling at some pace. I would defy anyone to be able to react any quicker.
b) Exactly in which direction was he supposed to move his arm other than to try and move it behind his back? Had he attempted to raise it then the result would probably have been the same only then his arm would not have been “in a natural position”

3. “his arm made contact with the ball in the penalty area”
Well the last part is just wrong and contradicts all the description of the offence.

Twat

Keown was poor all evening. His comments added bugger all value. The classic was his description of Ederson’s kick upfield to Sterling fromwhch the winner was conjured as “its just a long ball”. :shake:

I think Dickov had the answer to that on Sky's Debate, when he said that most team would have taken a 2-2 at that stage and any other keeper would have dived on it and held it for as long as possible, not City and Ederson, who were looking to win.

That is what we do, Never give in, never surrender.