Schalke - Post match reaction | Vital Football

Schalke - Post match reaction

'City showed immense character'
Schalke 2-3 Manchester City
ca7b7551-cf73-4684-ad94-895272b0e601.jpg

Danny Mills
Former Man City defender on BBC Radio 5 live
It was a roller-coaster of a game. City dominated throughout and on the balance of play, I think they deserve this victory.
We know they've got great ability but what they've also shown is immense character.
They'll feed off the back of this game - going into Sunday and off the back of that as well - and say 'look at what we've been up against, the adversity that we've faced, and we came through it'.

Man City free-kick scorer and former Schalke forward Leroy Sane: "It means a lot. I was a little bit sad for Schalke, because the atmosphere was amazing like it always is. Schalke did really well, the way they defended made it difficult.
"At the end we did it, we scored three goals away - that was the most important thing.
"You can see the will is a lot, we never give up, we always want to keep fighting."

Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling: "A really tough game, we made it difficult for ourselves at times but we stuck together, even with 10 men.
"For my goal, it was a little nudge in the back of the defender and I took my opportunity and we got the three points - err, a win!
"We have had some difficult patches this season, you can't win every game 3-0 and in the Champions League the opposition can hurt you."

Some hit from Sane.

Another assist for Ederson.

Sterling was very poor tonight but comes up with the goods again.

Still livid over that penalty decision mind, there has to be deliberate movement towards the ball, the complete opposite occurred.

It was a good point Danny Mills made (surprisingly because he has slated City in the past) VAR rules state that it is the referee's decision to award a goal, in the Otamendi incident where the referee initially turned down the appeal the VAR screen at the side of the pitch was broken and it appears that VAR have told the referee to award the goal when in fact the on field decision should have stood.

To be brutally truthful, I think if you're going to (ab)use VAR, given the length of time taken over the first Schalke penalty, I'd rather UEFA drop the guff about 'obvious error' and take the attitude of American football and just review everything.
At least it'll, in theory, be honest.

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola: "It was a great result. We gave them two penalties, we gave them a red card and in this competition that is not too good. We are still not ready to fight for the later stages. but the result is good.
"We played good. But still we lost some easy balls which we are not allowed to do in this competition. Were they penalties? I think so, they are two penalties, I trust VAR. I have arguments sometimes but not this time. They are both penalties.
"We played with incredible personality. We gave two goals when they did absolutely nothing. It is not over, this competition is completely different."

Former Premier League referee Peter Walton on BT Sport: "I still think it's a penalty, the ball has travelled a distance and Nicolas Otamendi has every opportunity to move his arm away. The point is he has made contact with the ball with his arm in the box and for me it's a penalty kick."

That prick is hardly going to say different. Otamendi tries to put his arm behind his back.

Schalke head coach Domenico Tedesco: "We're obviously very disappointed by the result. We deserved more.
"For one of the few times this season we had a bit of luck on our side. We knew we'd be pushed deep, but we were sloppy too often on the counter and conceding the goals we did late on was heartbreaking."