Schalke 04 v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Weds, 20th Feb 2019 - KO. 8:00 PM UK Time. Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Schalke 04 v Manchester City - UEFA Champions League - Weds, 20th Feb 2019 - KO. 8:00 PM UK Time. Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Opinion
It is Champions League time in the round of 32 and it is a Knockout time which has found City drawn with the 1st leg away to a top German side Schalke 04.

It has been an odd month and mainly Cup action with the League Cup Final coming up, the FA Cup 5th round banana skin at Newport County (professionally managed); despite both teams being happy with alternate dates, the FA bring forward our match with Everton intending to derail City’s effort to retain the title (grittily negotiated).

Can City overcome the German side and bring home a decent score for the home leg to get us through to the next round which is an open draw, meaning that no clubs from the same country being separated.

City have no History
City secured a 2-0 victory away at Schalke in the 2008 UEFA Cup. Benjani and Stephen Ireland scored the goals that night.

City also beat Schalke 5-2 on aggregate en route to winning the 1970 European Cup Winners' Cup. (I will have been at this game, although my memory of it is zero)

City Team News
out - Bravo

Doubtful
Kompany
Mendy

What if the Referee produces a Card
Schalke

Suspended: Mascarell
Misses next game if booked: Embolo, Rudy, Stambouli

City
Suspended: none
Misses next game if booked: Agüero, Otamendi, Fernandinho

City - Shalke04 connections - Rabbi Matondo

Latest Odds
Schalke - 10/1 Man City - 2/7 Draw - 5/1

Next up:-

City v Chelsea FC - Carabao Cup Final Wembley - Sunday 24th February 2019 KO:- 4.30pm

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the BBC this game doesn’t exist. Listening to their radio 5Live promotion for this week’s Champions League game they reference the rag defeat, the Spurs victory before moving on to this weeks games .......but only mention the dippers vs Bayern Munich. They clearly couldn’t spare the extra 2 seconds to add “and on Wednesday Manchester City take on Schalke” :shake: (despite them having radio commentary planned according to the radio times)

Schalke currently sit in 14th place in the Bundesliga.

Last six results (all comps) - WDLWLD

I know what you mean - the striker who hasn’t scored for 16 months nets a brace, the keeper who couldn’t keep a clean sheet plays a blinder, the defender who hasn’t made an interception all season doesn’t puta foot wrong etc etc

They drew 0-0 at home with Freiburg on Saturday, and their current league standing is P 22 W 6 D 5 L 11.
They got off to an awful start to the season, losing their first five Bundesliga games.
They are drawn to play Werder Bremen at home in April in the DFB (FA) Cup.

Results in Europe
Porto (h) 1-1, Lokomotiv Moscow (a) 1-0, Galatasaray (a) 0-0, Galatasaray (h) 2-0, Porto (a) 1-3, Lokomotiv Moscow (h) 1-0.

If we are entering the final 15 minutes sitting comfortably (say 3 up) would there be any mileage in Aguero and/or F25 picking up a cheap booking? Obviously if another club did it then it would be despicable gamesmanship but this isn't another club, this is us so might not be a bad idea.

If we are entering the final 15 minutes sitting comfortably (say 3 up) would there be any mileage in Aguero and/or F25 picking up a cheap booking? Obviously if another club did it then it would be despicable gamesmanship but this isn't another club, this is us so might not be a bad idea.

Sure I've seen on Twitter recently that measures have been brought in to try to combat this?
Suspension increased to two, rather than one, games. I'll try to see if I can find anything on the UEFA website to back this up.
How do you prove it though?

Well, the upside is they are in good form to give the dippers problems at the weekend, which can only be good for us.