Scarred for life | Vital Football

Scarred for life

Well I've always liked Julian Clary. There was that great joke years ago about fisting Norman Lamont, and he's great on 'Just a Minute'.

And it's not as if he's wrong about Chatham. I love the place but it is a shithole!

Scarred for life simply because one audience didn't laugh 15 years ago?

Has he never heard that humour is subjective?

I think that nearly every legend of comedy has had nights like that, particularly those that do stand up.

I'm guessing he didn't come in the front entrance, so wouldn't have have to step over the homeless that sleep along that part of the high street. He probably came in the back entrance, and not for the first time in his life...

If part of his act was mocking the sh**iness of Chatham then I'm not surprised that a Medway audience didn't laugh.
Slow news day story though.

To be honest, plenty of comedians will tell you the most horrible feeling is doing your routine which has got laughs elesewhere and trying to get a laugh from a humourless crowd. I think Richard Herring in one of his Evening Standard or it might have been the Metro said he knew of a number of talented up and coming comedians who quit after a show where they got zero laughs and was mortified. Jimmy Carr also said the secret of a good comedian is knowing how to react to hecklers telling you that you suck and to turn the heckler into a figure of fun.

I did work with someone briefly who used to work for the local theatre who does the monthly comedy clubs and they said it was hard at times to get decent comedians as the theatre had a bad reputation for being hard to raise a laugh.

Bit of history. When this was a fully military, naval and industrial area there were many theatres and music halls (charlie chaplin etc played in chatham) shows and acts were tried here before going to London.
It was because medway audiences were known as the worst to play in front of.

Bit of history. When this was a fully military, naval and industrial area there were many theatres and music halls (charlie chaplin etc played in chatham) shows and acts were tried here before going to London.

I did hear that Charlie Chaplin hated performing in Chatham as literally everyone in the theatre was silent.

Perhaps this also explains why our away support is so far superior to our home support...?