Scally want players to take wage cuts | Vital Football

Scally want players to take wage cuts

Can’t say I agree entirely with Scally on this one.

Players have commitments - mortgages, daily expenditure. Players at the lower end of the football pyramid won’t be able to afford wage cuts like Messi and his mates can.

But he is right when he says that it’s about time the football bubble got burst and football returns to some normality.

Last edited:
But he is right when he says that it’s about time the football bubble got burst and football returns to some normality.
The problem is that at the top it's no longer football but worldwide entertainment. Again, the finger has to be pointed to the FA. When it set up the EPL as was, I'm sure the powers that be knew there was TV money to be had but quite how much nobody could predict. I'm sure also they had no choice in setting up the breakaway league with talk of a European league rife. But they missed out on adopting the German model for running top clubs and certainly missed a trick when it came to ensuring a significant chunk of TV money trickled down the football pyramid. I have a feeling who will benefit if that bubble bursts.

I think he makes a lot of sense.

The game in general has lost all of its income. Staff have been laid off. Players have to take some kind of cut.

I agree but that's easier for a prem/champ player on tens of thousands a week. Not sure that many league 1/2 players earn so much that they can afford to. Football at the top is awash with money (mainly borrowed money) so I think football has to save itself here. Whether it will or not is a different manner.

Do the premier league clubs give a toss about league 1/2 ? I guess we will find out shortly.

Heavens sake, they're not on £5 a week! They are not playing, so some of their massive (relative to the general public) wages should be expected to be forfeited.

Heavens sake, they're not on £5 a week! They are not playing, so some of their massive (relative to the general public) wages should be expected to be forfeited.

Didn't Scally say their salaries ranged from £250 / week to £3K / week. At the top end of that I don't disagree but at the bottom end not as easy.

I agree in principal but just not as easy to do if a player is on the bottom end of that scale.

Didn't Scally say their salaries ranged from £250 / week to £3K / week. At the top end of that I don't disagree but at the bottom end not as easy.

I agree in principal but just not as easy to do if a player is on the bottom end of that scale.
Rubbish.
Try living on £150 per week, 'cos that's the pension rate.

I am no scally basher by any means, in fact i get a lot of stick on the Facebook pages for supposedly being the opposite, but if i were a player i would not agree to a pay cut until scally himself agreed to a significant pay cut. He is the top earner at the club. If hes not going to take a considerable cut then why should a player who is probably on half what scally is. No, 150k is not a small amount of money, but neither is it great riches, considering they have on average a 15 year career and not much of it will be earning the big bucks like that either.

The club still has all our ST income and my boy was supposed to be mascot for the Tranmere game, so they have good money from me for that too. i for one would not be asking for it back. I would be more tempted if the club is reducing players wages and scally is not.