SB and EPC Pitches | Page 8 | Vital Football

SB and EPC Pitches

It is true from Liam in the article

"Other upgrades are also taking place, and Scully reveals to offthepitch.com that LED advertising will be used for the first time at the ground from the start of next season."
A far cry from those letters that were put on the perimeter walls with the related football half times scores advertised in the programme. It was much more fun watching the people putting the scores up. It was all ruined one day when some smart techie individual turned up with a transistor radio.

I know the new pitch has cost mega bucks to install but, hopefully we will reap the benefits of having a much improved playing surface and play the kind of football Mapp wants and if that happens it’ll be money well spent. However, I do wonder how back in the 60’s, groundsman Ned Pinkstone mostly on his own and with help occasionally from the young apprentices produced excellent pitches for the first team and reserves week after week! How times change.

I know the new pitch has cost mega bucks to install but, hopefully we will reap the benefits of having a much improved playing surface and play the kind of football Mapp wants and if that happens it’ll be money well spent. However, I do wonder how back in the 60’s, groundsman Ned Pinkstone mostly on his own and with help occasionally from the young apprentices produced excellent pitches for the first team and reserves week after week! How times change.
I remember walking across the pitch a couple of times in the 1970s and being very surprised by how flat it wasn't - it undulated in every direction. Considering the ground was opened in 1895, it suggests that not much had been done to the pitch since it was a cowfield 80 years previously.

When I was a nipper was always said we had one of the best pitches in the country. I wonder if the addition of the stands have some effect.

I remember walking across the pitch a couple of times in the 1970s and being very surprised by how flat it wasn't - it undulated in every direction. Considering the ground was opened in 1895, it suggests that not much had been done to the pitch since it was a cowfield 80 years previously.

The pitch was always regarded as being one of the best in the country in the mid 60’s to mid 70’s and your description of it is not how I remembered it at all!

The pitch was always regarded as being one of the best in the country in the mid 60’s to mid 70’s and your description of it is not how I remembered it at all!
To be honest anything that wasn't a sea of mud by January was a carpet, back in the day. If it undulated but had a bit of grass still showing, it was probably still 'up there'.

Pitches were very different in past times, and perhaps not so long ago. Derby famously won two titles on a notorious beach of a pitch, and perhaps that is why they did. I recall going to the Derby v Coventry game shortly before they won their first title in 1972, and there was no grass on it. Literally.

I think we would all agree that pitch technology - and the awareness of exactly how much of a defining factor it can be - has moved on at a fair pace in recent times.

It’s amazing how quick seeded grounds can grow under the right conditions, especially if they get a bit of rain. I worked on reconditioning a golf course a few years back and couldn’t believe how quick the grass grew. Mind you, the grass growing and being able to play on it are two different things - robust establishment is probably what’ll take the time.

Interesting all the comments about the pitch being designed and built to suit the way MA wants to play. Be very interesting to see if this makes a difference to our results at home after last season. Then again, probably wouldn’t explain why we had such a brilliant away record - if there is a suggestion that most of the other clubs we played had better pitches than us, because I would draw the line at Posh and one or two others at least. Having said that it’ll be brilliant to have such a good surface and when you look at the pitches in the Championship and Prem it’ll be great if ours can match theirs.

Interesting all the comments about the pitch being designed and built to suit the way MA wants to play. Be very interesting to see if this makes a difference to our results at home after last season. Then again, probably wouldn’t explain why we had such a brilliant away record - if there is a suggestion that most of the other clubs we played had better pitches than us, because I would draw the line at Posh and one or two others at least. Having said that it’ll be brilliant to have such a good surface and when you look at the pitches in the Championship and Prem it’ll be great if ours can match theirs.
'a pitch built suit the way MA wants to play'. with all the money invested in it, i would hope the board plan is for it to be a pitch that suits the way the club wants to play. for appleton and beyond.

If I am understanding this correctly, the club installed the good pitches at the EPC first, then at LNER. That seems the wrong way around to me, but I don't claim to know anything about these things.

'a pitch built suit the way MA wants to play'. with all the money invested in it, i would hope the board plan is for it to be a pitch that suits the way the club wants to play. for appleton and beyond.
I suppose a pitch installed for a passing game is also good for any other style, but not vice versa.