Saving Money & Tips | Page 16 | Vital Football

Saving Money & Tips

I pretty much change everytime I renew which is yearly. Although my latest plan with EDF is 18 months. I always go for fixed tbh because of the exact reason highlighted in the thread.

And I refuse to get a smart meter so that is always on the list of requirements when seeking a new deal, I.e don't have to have one.

Last edited:
  • Intro from Martin: "If you've ignored your energy bills - stop. This freezing week's the time to check if you're on the right deal. To help, we've negotiated a deal for our Cheap Energy Club that undercuts the market's cheapest, and agrees to MSE's enhanced customer service request.

"The reason for this call to action is that on Friday, the regulator Ofgem announced the price cap for standard direct debit tariffs will rise by a huge 9% on 1 April (prepay 8%). For someone with typical usage, that's up from £1,042/yr to £1,138/yr. As more than half of Britain's homes are on tariffs within a quid or two of the cap, millions will be hit.

"The rise isn't a surprise, we've long been predicting it. The cap is mostly based on wholesale prices (which energy firms pay) and they've jumped. It's also why prices of the cheapest deals have jumped too.
    "If you find watching easier than reading, I've also done a video explanation. Now for the key switching info from the team..."
    Important: Currently savings results are UNDERESTIMATED

Energy firms won't publish their new, costlier tariffs on the back of the price cap rise, likely for weeks. Until then, if you're on a standard tariff, when you compare, your savings must be worked out against current prices. So they won't include the typical extra £96/yr you'll save from avoiding the price cap hike.

The supermarket price-war has edged up a notch after Sainsbury's followed Tesco's Aldi price-match scheme.

The major supermarkets are fighting the German discount chains for business and price is their chosen battleground.

Tesco launched its Aldi price-match in March 2020 and extended it to around 500 products in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56012719

All helps our pockets these supermarket wars doesn't it?

Sainsbury used to do a voucher scheme, if what you bought from them was available cheaper at their chosen competitors (wasn't the German discount chains) you got money off your next shop.

Mobile phones. My current phone is PAYG with 3. I have been paying 3p a min for calls, 2p for a text and 1p for the internet. From the 16th of this month they are upping their prices so I have been looking to see what is out there. There is a company called 1p Mobile. 1p min for calls,1p per text and 1p for the internet. They do a 1 year deal for £30 unlimited calls, unlimited texts etc. You can transfer your old number. You might want to check it out.

Just a reminder, not long before it will be too late to get a decent fixed rate.

Don't forget if you do a comparison now, it won't include the .. up to £100 - price hike so factor that in.

Just set up insurance for the (soon to be) new motor. Nice shift down in price, as was the plan when trading 'down'. But also, worth noting, I did a direct quote on AVIVA and then one on confused.com (they are giving £20 vouchers for all insurance right now, so effectively brings the price down more) and found a saving of £85 from the same company AND free (usually £30) legal expenses. So from doing more than one camparison, it saved £115 and I get £20 voucher.

Shop around, don't let the buggers take your money off you.

Car efficiency to save on fuel

Hadn't thought this would make that much difference

Fuel is heavy, so by filling the car up you're adding quite a weight. The less fuel your car has in it, the more efficiently it drives. If you fill up slightly more often and put less in (to 1/2 or 3/4 full), it'll make the car run more efficiently.

But don't be tempted to run the fuel too low – winter driving uses more fuel, so you'll cover fewer miles per litre.

The rest:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/cheaper-fuel/#efficient

Winner winner, Aldi dinner. They take the crown for cheapest supermarket in April.

Interesting watching Sainsbury take them on now though, I have noticed their prices coming down and price locks etc.

I do Aldi once a week, then Sainsbury twice a week, mostly for mom and dad's stuff!

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/05/which-was-the-cheapest-supermarket-in-april-2021/

Sainsbury second to only Asda in the big supermarket basket doo dah and soooo much nicer as a shopping experience.

My contract with sky ran out and on 3rd Apr I phoned them and cancelled. Nobody picked up on the fact that I had cancelled and on the 3rd May I called them and asked why I was still connected. Anyway to cut a long story short I went with Now TV, £25 a month for six months and then £33.99 there after for all the Sky sports channels. No contract cancel any time. Two weeks after I left Sky were back. I now have a new contract with them £28 a month fixed for 18 months and the 1st Month free. And for that I get all the Sky sports channels and the entertainment pack. Thats down from the £51 I would have been paying. Result.

My contract with sky ran out and on 3rd Apr I phoned them and cancelled. Nobody picked up on the fact that I had cancelled and on the 3rd May I called them and asked why I was still connected. Anyway to cut a long story short I went with Now TV, £25 a month for six months and then £33.99 there after for all the Sky sports channels. No contract cancel any time. Two weeks after I left Sky were back. I now have a new contract with them £28 a month fixed for 18 months and the 1st Month free. And for that I get all the Sky sports channels and the entertainment pack. Thats down from the £51 I would have been paying. Result.

Feels great when you succeed like that doesn't it?