Saving Money & Tips | Page 15 | Vital Football

Saving Money & Tips

Just tried an Aldi chicken soup at 31p. Compared to Heinz chicken soup at 95p

Not that much of a reduced taste, in fact, I think I might grow to prefer the slightly less creamy flavour. But the price difference is ridiculous and too good not to take advantage of.

I actually prefer their soups to Heinz lol The only one I thought was very poor was their Oxtail one...but the kids love it.

For a lot of it, you just have to break away from the snobbery elements I think.

I grew up on cheap crap and often prefer it.
Five odd years ago I preferred Asda's own cheap brand (smart price was it?) stuff to their more exclusive range/normal brands. They changed recipes and cheapened it and it was woeful, but Aldi's stuff is a better quality than that and as JF says, the prices speak for themselves.

I actually prefer their soups to Heinz lol The only one I thought was very poor was their Oxtail one...but the kids love it.

For a lot of it, you just have to break away from the snobbery elements I think.

Yeah, it isn't so much snobbery, really isn't, well, not for me. It is perception. As said, I went in the Redditch one 5 odd years ago, it was a shit tip, I wasn't particularly well, very busy at work and thought sod it. The perception remained, without trying any of the food.

But finally went again, store modernised, tried the stuff and the perception was still I was buying bargain basement rubbish. I learned differently very quickly. It is top quality. Guess it is just the way we've been brought up, lots of fancy marketing, the stores are always 'nice' to walk around in the UK, and so on. Also, a fair few of the own brands in some of the main supermarkets aren't quite as nice, done on purpose (I think anyway) as no point them selling higher priced stuff if they don't make the own brand and low cost stuff a little less tasty. So sort of expected Aldi to be that, own brand quality.

Yeah, probably the wrong word but a mix of marketing/presentation etc.

Strange really, we tried a Lidl? around the same time and that just didn't 'suit' me, but that was more based on the shop as well. It didn't feel right as I walked around.

Martin Lewis is always going on about how "own name" brands are the same as named brands. Just the label is different , and the price as well lol.

Martin Lewis is always going on about how "own name" brands are the same as named brands. Just the label is different , and the price as well lol.

Ah, no, what he says is if you buy premium, try to move down one 'tier' to normal. If you buy normal, try the own brand. Etc.

Seen him say if you go from the luxury brand straight to the cheapest own brand, you might notice the difference, if you go down one level you probably won't.

(He might have said what you said as well, just not heard it... and I am not one for giving you the benefit of the doubt! :lol: As if you know anything about shopping and cooking Mr Once A Year I Do Beans On Toast !!!!!!!!!)

Ah, no, what he says is if you buy premium, try to move down one 'tier' to normal. If you buy normal, try the own brand. Etc.

Seen him say if you go from the luxury brand straight to the cheapest own brand, you might notice the difference, if you go down one level you probably won't.

(He might have said what you said as well, just not heard it... and I am not one for giving you the benefit of the doubt! :lol: As if you know anything about shopping and cooking Mr Once A Year I Do Beans On Toast !!!!!!!!!)

Ah probably then. I do switch off when it comes to such matters.

Martin Lewis advice

Imagine if you got an annual supermarket shopping bill - it'd cost £1,000s. We don't think of our grocery shop as a utility bill, but it'd help if we did. It'd reveal why small weekly savings matter. Cut costs by £5 a week, and that's £260 a year. There are many hidden gems (and I don't mean lettuce) in our 30 Supermarket & Grocery Tips.

I am reasonably frugal but when it comes to grocery shopping I am a buy whatever person. I need the woman to take over.

Not sure if you all know, will merge with money saving thread at some point, but energy firms are going to hike prices, apparently up to £100

So worth doing a price comparison and getting on a fixed rate before the rises

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...e-for-11-million---act-now-to-beat-the-hikes/

Checked mine earlier and as I had expected, I am on the cheapest deal possible, but also did dads and it should save him £100 - £150 once the price hike has happened.

My 2 year deal with Bristol Energy expires next month and have just renewed with them for 25 months. The best about Bristol is that there is no exit charges so if I can find a better deal I can move at anytime.

I have been with Avro, who are an online company for about five years now, its a no frills very cheap provider who I would recommend.

This thread has prompted me to re submit current usage figures for a new quote and pleased to say, or sad to say, I cant get a better deal.

I have recently checked and could switch and save a MASSIVE £25 per year.

I really can't be bothered for that amount.

Ah, but that doesn't take into account the price hike that is coming mate, that is estimated £80-£100 ish ... therefore, you could be saving £125.

They can't put in the price hike yet, for comparison sites, because they haven't had the rate cards.

Think he covers it in the video, but sounds to me like the ideal time to change JPA