Save our Season, The Fans Voice. | Page 14 | Vital Football

Save our Season, The Fans Voice.

I'm not sure that's fully true Norm.

I get the bit about folk wanting him gone, so we can maximise our chances of staying up this season ................. but if we go down, the bloke has a decent track record in League 1.

Sure, if he got us back up, I'd want him to improve an awful lot - and do things differently - from his previous two attempts, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with him leading us in League 1.

I know that sounds wrong on the surface, but when you think about it, then it's quite logical.

I wouldn't trust him to bring us back up, i think he got us up last time after the Yanic fee allowed us to keep most of our key players and he inherited Powell, Burn, Grigg, etc in a squad far too good for the division. We don't have those anymore and i don't think IEC with FFP will be able to afford to keep most of our better players. So he wont likely be able to have a squad so vastly superior as he was afforded last time. I think there will be a fire sale to balance the books.

We also had the benefit of Cook being the clean slate, the fresh ideas and the broom that swept away the losing mentality, staleness and negativity of the previous season. But this year Cook is the losing mentality, the staleness and the negativity that needs sweeping away and we need fresh ideas - i don't think going back into L1 will be anything like last time.

I think sacking Cook and banking on his replacement keeping us up is a up is a much safer bet than going down and thinking he will bring us back. L1 is rubbish so there is a chance, but i think the rot is deep now and we need a fresh start.

You may be right kdz .......................... then again, you might not be.

Regardless, I hope we never need to find out ................... because let's hope that Cook, the coaching staff & the players can turn it round and stop in this league. Either that, or at least play with a little flair and spirit whilst we're on our way to League 1.

I wouldn't trust him to bring us back up, i think he got us up last time after the Yanic fee allowed us to keep most of our key players and he inherited Powell, Burn, Grigg, etc in a squad far too good for the division. We don't have those anymore and i don't think IEC with FFP will be able to afford to keep most of our better players. So he wont likely be able to have a squad so vastly superior as he was afforded last time. I think there will be a fire sale to balance the books.

We also had the benefit of Cook being the clean slate, the fresh ideas and the broom that swept away the losing mentality, staleness and negativity of the previous season. But this year Cook is the losing mentality, the staleness and the negativity that needs sweeping away and we need fresh ideas - i don't think going back into L1 will be anything like last time.

I think sacking Cook and banking on his replacement keeping us up is a up is a much safer bet than going down and thinking he will bring us back. L1 is rubbish so there is a chance, but i think the rot is deep now and we need a fresh start.

Paul Warne stayed at Rotherham after they went down & they're currently top.
Paul Lambert took Ipswich down & whilst they've hit a blip (losing 3 on the bounce) they're only 5 points off automatic promotion. Bolton are struggling, but they're an exceptional case this season

Not saying Cook should still be here next season (or even now) but not sweeping out the manager who brought a losing mentality etc.. hasn't done those teams that much harm

Paul Warne stayed at Rotherham after they went down & they're currently top.
Paul Lambert took Ipswich down & whilst they've hit a blip (losing 3 on the bounce) they're only 5 points off automatic promotion. Bolton are struggling, but they're an exceptional case this season

Not saying Cook should still be here next season (or even now) but not sweeping out the manager who brought a losing mentality etc.. hasn't done those teams that much harm

I understand your point, and i agree changing manager isn't alway the right things, personally I fancied both managers to stay on and do well this season. But i don't think their situation is the same as Cook's

Rotherham battled hard and went down with their heads held relatively high as they went down due to a lack of quality of player rather than under performing so much. I think they didn't really have a losing mentality and negativity despite losing so often. They were more massive underdogs who did their best but it wasn't enough. Warne never had a big budget but he knows how to get out of L1 on a shoe string - so it was back to what he is good at.

Ipswich was a rebuild from the day Lambert walked in, he inherited a team that was too damaged and last season was him effectively just getting it over and done with in preperation for his first preseason. Lambert was a bit like when Caldwell came in at the end of our Championship relegation season - he the mess was made before he arrived and he was given the benefit of the doubt until the following season. He had a lot longer than Caldwell to try and turn it around and stay up but anyone inheriting the squad he had at Ipswich last season would've struggled to keep them up - so i think the expectation was he'd put it right when he could get the team to be mostly his. Lambert prior to taking on the hard job at pulling off a come back at Ipswich had a good record above L1 so i think he was worth trusting.

For Cook if we go down it will have been the majority of 2 years of under performing, failure to learn, it's all his own signings and he was backed heavily in the previous summer. He was negative when we needed to be brave, he squandered a wonder kid and too often insisted on doing things that everyone else in the ground knew was wrong. Cook and the board themselves even said we would finish higher than we did last season at the forum. We've fallen so far below our own expectations, and every time we lower the bar we still fall below it. I think there are no mitigating circumstances - he had so much time and money and still failed. Whoever comes in next year needs to not only try and get us back up but looking to build a side to keep us up, and i don't think anyone could say Paul Cook has shown anything to suggest that Cook is a manager who is good enough at this level. We also will need to leverage our youth side and Cook has not done that. So for me he just doesn't tick any boxes.

Regardless, I hope we never need to find out ................... because let's hope that Cook, the coaching staff & the players can turn it round and stop in this league. Either that, or at least play with a little flair and spirit whilst we're on our way to League 1.
I would love to be with you on this Moonay but short of a trip to Damascus for 🤡 neither of these things will happen.
We will be bored all the way down 🙄

I hope so too, but I fear the writing is on the wall and it's only the board who are refusing to read it. Cook is like a milestone around the clubs neck at this point.

............Cook is like a milestone around the clubs neck at this point.

He's achieved a few milestones: League Champions, finishing off a classic hat-trick against City, and then keeping us up ........regardless of the style (or lack thereof).

He may well be a millstone too ............. but maybe the board are hoping he can grind out another season in this league.
:sorry:

He's achieved a few milestones: League Champions, finishing off a classic hat-trick against City, and then keeping us up ........regardless of the style (or lack thereof).

He may well be a millstone too ............. but maybe the board are hoping he can grind out another season in this league.

Autospell on my phone. Doh.

But whatever type of stone he is - it's dragging us down.

And so you should be

He certainly not earning his corn ...!

If this clown stays in charge be interesting to see how many season ticket we sell as the club sold any half season tickets bet we haven’t sold any