Sam Byram | Page 4 | Vital Football

Sam Byram

Problem is figures are fiction. BO worth only £3M????? Jacob £3M?
My mum £2.5? OKD £1.5M with broken ankle.

Played with FL teams to age 18, broke my ankle (for the first time) age 17 on Matlock Town's ground - c18 months to get fit, sadly that was enough to see me released.

Played at FA representative level to u16.

Played non league & semi pro - right up until age 33, but with 2 further ankle breaks, the last at 32 - that (along with pressure from my better half) saw me retire from getting paid for a Saturday afternoon outing at the end of that season.

Started coaching badges at that point, which coincided with my oldest child starting to play. I am an FA licensed coach & have been for over 10 years - if, you are too or know anything about it, you will know that you have to maintain CPD & continually attend sessions to keep the accreditation!

Even though I'm over 45, I still play (veterans footy) and manage that side, whilst also still coaching children.

Hope that helps to justify CP... I'm also an ECB Licensed Cricket Coach.

You're the chap who consistently uses his 'expertise' as proof that you're right with little hint of qualification.

I played colts cricket for Middlesex (very briefly), club cricket for 20 years. Usual Sunday league/pub football level.

I'm not convinced that makes your opinion any more worthy than others.

Lineker and Shearer played for England, but still seem incapable of seeing that Charlie Austin was yards offside, and the goalie didn't know if he was going to play the ball or not!

Those two defeats also coincided with Watson & Hef both playing, who were equally poor also. Benny is not a LB, but is a very good midfielder in various positions. Ben Watson has played in all three defeats this season and also in a very poor first half performance against Brum. The stats back up we are a lot more solid with Robinson at LB and a lot poorer when Watson plays.

Completely agree - I'm not saying it is all Ben's fault - they are a team.

I'm just of the opinion that he is not a left back, Robinson is better - but Ben's skill sets are better suited to a LM or central midfield role.

You're the chap who consistently uses his 'expertise' as proof that you're right with little hint of qualification.

I played colts cricket for Middlesex (very briefly), club cricket for 20 years. Usual Sunday league/pub football level.

I'm not convinced that makes your opinion any more worthy than others.

I didn't say it did - everyone is entitled to their opinions - that's what a forum is about and actually getting into a debate on a subject, without resorting to insults is even better.

Given my 35yrs + involvement with football, playing, coaching, managing, then I'd say I'm in a position to give an informed view on a player based upon my own experiences.

That does not mean it is right or any better than yours - you clearly prefer to use stats as the basis to form your judgements and to back up your arguments, I don't.

Like I would in my normal day job, I draw upon my experience/observations of their actual performances, invariably measured against others and what they contribute to the team, in order to appraise. I may well refer to stats/KPIs, but that's it - they are merely a reference point.

Ben is very young, he could well be shaped into a good 'modern' left back and his versatility is both a positive and a negative..... 'Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None?'.

As it stands, we have a better option for the team at left back, we have a better No.10 and a better LW - Ben is a fantastic back up for all, but I can't imagine that he will want that.

I didn't say it did - everyone is entitled to their opinions - that's what a forum is about and actually getting into a debate on a subject, without resorting to insults is even better.

Given my 35yrs + involvement with football, playing, coaching, managing, then I'd say I'm in a position to give an informed view on a player based upon my own experiences.

That does not mean it is right or any better than yours - you clearly prefer to use stats as the basis to form your judgements and to back up your arguments, I don't.

Like I would in my normal day job, I draw upon my experience/observations of their actual performances, invariably measured against others and what they contribute to the team, in order to appraise. I may well refer to stats/KPIs, but that's it - they are merely a reference point.

Ben is very young, he could well be shaped into a good 'modern' left back and his versatility is both a positive and a negative..... 'Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None?'.

As it stands, we have a better option for the team at left back, we have a better No.10 and a better LW - Ben is a fantastic back up for all, but I can't imagine that he will want that.

Hoopla, nobody said he was currently close to a complete left back. Only that he could develop into one and would help to offer a tempo and variety Robinson currently is unable to.

Stats were only brought up when you used your 'experience' to imagine crosses that simply didn't exist. Rather than acknowledge your mistake you suddenly started to rant against empirical evidence and claimed because you'd kicked a ball you knew better.

Solidity is a great base to build from but having a couple of shots on target per game is only going to take us so far.

Hoopla, nobody said he was currently close to a complete left back. Only that he could develop into one and would help to offer a tempo and variety Robinson currently is unable to.

Stats were only brought up when you used your 'experience' to imagine crosses that simply didn't exist. Rather than acknowledge your mistake you suddenly started to rant against empirical evidence and claimed because you'd kicked a ball you knew better.

Solidity is a great base to build from but having a couple of shots on target per game is only going to take us so far.

Rant - give over!

Conceding 2-3 per game when Osborn is left back will only take us in 1 direction.

You have championed Osborn as left back and used your stats, to back up your theory, of this mythical high tempo, attacking full back hiding in plain sight.

Drawing upon experiences, I can see that he is uncomfortable in that position, and gave his pretty much obvious shortcomings to those who watch him play at close quarters (can't head it, can't tackle, lacks pace, positionally poor) - but he does a job for the team when called upon - he is, however, square peg in a round hole.

Much like Ben could be trained, so can Robinson - but, it's you who moved the goal posts - my position has been very constant - all season!

I like Ben as a footballer, he brings much to the team - but, he is a weak link at left back and if we have aspirations to finish in the top 6, rather than bottom half - he would not be my pick at left back - which appears to be backed up by most others too on this forum and notably Aitor.

I'll leave you to argue your point with someone else, I'm bored with repeating the same things over & over.

Osborn is not a left back!

Osborn will never develop into a decent left back.
Thread officially closed.

Could not agree more - he may well become a bog standard average one in L1, but he is so much better in other positions!

Unless we suffer injuries/suspensions, I can't actually see Benny starting a game for a while - which shows how far we have come and the quality of squad we have.

I would though, sign another left back in January - if Byram, does not return.

Rant - give over!

Conceding 2-3 per game when Osborn is left back will only take us in 1 direction.

You have championed Osborn as left back and used your stats, to back up your theory, of this mythical high tempo, attacking full back hiding in plain sight.

Drawing upon experiences, I can see that he is uncomfortable in that position, and gave his pretty much obvious shortcomings to those who watch him play at close quarters (can't head it, can't tackle, lacks pace, positionally poor) - but he does a job for the team when called upon - he is, however, square peg in a round hole.

Much like Ben could be trained, so can Robinson - but, it's you who moved the goal posts - my position has been very constant - all season!

I like Ben as a footballer, he brings much to the team - but, he is a weak link at left back and if we have aspirations to finish in the top 6, rather than bottom half - he would not be my pick at left back - which appears to be backed up by most others too on this forum and notably Aitor.

I'll leave you to argue your point with someone else, I'm bored with repeating the same things over & over.

Osborn is not a left back!

Lengthy reply for someone who is bored...