Saluting Harry Kane | Vital Football

Saluting Harry Kane

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
Spurs have been blessed with a rich history of amazing goal scorers. So many, that it is impossible to list them all.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523571">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Geofspurs sent us the following:

Spurs have been blessed with a rich history of amazing goal scorers. So many, that it is impossible to list them all. But of all the strikers that have graced the WHL pitch two have, in their time, been raised to 'iconic' status. One of these is historic and the other one is current. Jimmy Greaves is acknowledged as the greatest ever striker to play with a cockerel on his shirt. Harry Kane, in a ridiculously small amount of time, has taken the football world by storm.

The Juggernaut that is Harry Kane just keeps on going and there is likely to be no stopping it until he decides to hang up his boots. The reason for this is simple. Harry is the complete footballer and has the attitude and maturity to go with it.

In all my years following THFC I cannot think of another Spurs forward who is similar to Harry-one-of-our-own-Kane. The best striker by far that I have ever seen is jimmy Greaves. He was the ultimate goal machine. He was at his best when the ball was at his feet and he could run at a defence ....usually run rings around a defence. He could shoot with both feet. And he was fast. But Jimmy was not brilliant at heading the ball or tracking back to help his team defensively. He also had little interest in holding the ball up because his sole focus was on going for goal. And it all worked so well for him.

Kane is a different type of striker. Harry does focus on scoring goals, obviously, but his game consists of so much more. Like Greaves, Kane owns two lethal feet. Like Greaves, Kane can dribble the ball ....albeit not as well. Kane is stronger than Greaves in the air and whereas Greaves used his speed to avoid losing the ball Kane uses his strength. Greaves could find a decisive final pass if required, but not as often as Kane. Greaves was extremely quick to react to goalmouth opportunities and could read the game well. Harry is less quick to react but has a great reading of the game and where he might be needed ... which often results in him tracking back to defend. Kane uses his strength to great effect when holding the ball up or looking for a creative pass. Harry wants the ball and he will go to any part of the park to get into the game.

If we took the goal-scoring ability of both players away, it would make less impact on Kane's performance as he consistently contributes so much more than goals to the teams' endeavour. He will experience times (as do all strikers) during his career when the goals stop flowing for a while and these will be the times when his other attributes will keep him in good stead.

Greaves is a Spurs legend. Kane is a Spurs legend-in-waiting. If he remains at Spurs there can be little doubt that future generations of Tottenham supporters will talk about him as we now talk about Greaves.

Its really talking chalk and cheese across generations...

Harry and most strikers today have to do much more than score goals in the modern game as has been pointed out.

Greavsie was 'only' a goalscorer but supreme in that sphere of the game.

The sniffers seem to have vanished...no more Linekers, Allens, Rushes, Fowlers, Laws, Wrights, to name but a few.....

Not sure there would be a place in the modern game for the likes of those types as strikers need to be like Kane with multiple skills in different areas...

Having said that oh how i wish Greavsie was still around now to put away all the feckin chances we are wasting currently... :1:

When Bale was sold I thought that was us for a while in terms of ever having a game changer of that caliber.

How wrong I was.

Harry Kane may quite possibility be the best striker in the world....and he's ours.

He defends, he is "Dembele" like in terms of shielding the ball, he can make a superb pass, and he can score from almost anywhere with both feet!

Just where do you find well grounded sportsman like that?

The term "world class" can be used a little too easily these days, but Harry Kane definitely is World class and getting better IMO.

yeah according to pundits Costa, Aguero + etc... are world class but Kane's not in that bracket yet - but he's outscored em two seasons running.

Now he's banging goals in Europe, beating longstanding English records domestically and in Europe. I'm sure they'll find some other stick to beat him with now he's not scoring in Europe, possibly the "hasn't scored enough in world cup finals" until he does.

There's only one person that could replace Kane right now. Luis Suarez. And I'd still take Kane first.

He is absolute quality. He can score from nothing. Has a cracking shot on him with both feet. Can head the ball. We need to win trophies for this man. We can't afford to lose him as we will never get better.

As I said elsewhere, we've just run out of superlatives to describe him, he's one of our own and score when he wants...

He's either the luckiest striker I've ever seen or close to the best.

He's another that was once incredibly written off here as not being good enough and never will be - the lesson in that is if a lad has the right attitude and mentality, he can achieve almost anything.

I give a lot of credit to Tim for Harry's emergence as without his complete and utter belief that he could become top-class we almost sold him, twice!

He is pure world class. PSG, Real and Barca will be throwing big numbers next summer to get him. Will levy let him go for 200m or will he respect Harry for wanting to stay. If he carries on like that 200m will be a realistic price tag for him. I wouldnt sell him for any money in the world.

I'd give Harry a stake in the club that would have to be sold when he left and/or upon retirement. Whichever came first. Zero cash flow problems and incentive to help the club become top tier.

Last night Hoddle said that Kane may prove to be the best striker we have ever had, and I respect what he says.

Kane has been a revelation and, man, are we lucky to have him and even more lucky that he is Spurs to his core. He hasn't got a classically elegant gait, but he is very, very dangerous nonetheless and has lot more to his game than 'just' goals. Right now he could go on to be the best we have had, but there is a long way to go before that can be said and many things could happen. In another sport, look at Tiger Woods - odds on at 22 to smash the records held by Nicklaus and wear the mantle of the best ever, but things intervened and he fell short. One of the best ever probably, but not THE best.

Is Kane world-class? I reservetgat foe few players and, as yet Kane isn't one, but a case can be made in 2-3 years if it all carries on. For me though, Greavesie will alway be THE best striker ever to wear our shirt.

freundorfoe - 27/9/2017 02:29

yeah according to pundits Costa, Aguero + etc... are world class but Kane's not in that bracket yet - but he's outscored em two seasons running.

Now he's banging goals in Europe, beating longstanding English records domestically and in Europe. I'm sure they'll find some other stick to beat him with now he's not scoring in Europe, possibly the "hasn't scored enough in world cup finals" until he does.

Kane is better than Costa. Costa can't do half the things Kane can do. Aguero is fair enough. He is top quality and has proven for a long time he is the best or one of the best.

Bald Archie - 27/9/2017 21:56

Last night Hoddle said that Kane may prove to be the best striker we have ever had, and I respect what he says.

Kane has been a revelation and, man, are we lucky to have him and even more lucky that he is Spurs to his core. He hasn't got a classically elegant gait, but he is very, very dangerous nonetheless and has lot more to his game than 'just' goals. Right now he could go on to be the best we have had, but there is a long way to go before that can be said and many things could happen. In another sport, look at Tiger Woods - odds on at 22 to smash the records held by Nicklaus and wear the mantle of the best ever, but things intervened and he fell short. One of the best ever probably, but not THE best.

Is Kane world-class? I reservetgat foe few players and, as yet Kane isn't one, but a case can be made in 2-3 years if it all carries on. For me though, Greavesie will alway be THE best striker ever to wear our shirt.

Fair points as a lot can happen in a season or two.

If Kane keeps up this pace and breaks our goal scoring record he will have to go down as the best we have ever had.

Of course he has to score 159 goals still to beat that which will take some doing.

His header against Apoel was just amazing.

Lorente just stood there in amazement as Kane came barging in, anticipating exactly where the ball was going and how he had to angle his header far off to the left. Waterman was rooted to the spot, also in awe of this machine, the likes of which I haven't seen at Spurs for a very long time.

There was a touch of Suarez about that header, but I'd have Harry over him any day! :7:

10Hoddle - 26/9/2017 22:44

When Bale was sold I thought that was us for a while in terms of ever having a game changer of that caliber.

How wrong I was.

Harry Kane may quite possibility be the best striker in the world....and he's ours.

He defends, he is "Dembele" like in terms of shielding the ball, he can make a superb pass, and he can score from almost anywhere with both feet!

Just where do you find well grounded sportsman like that?

The term "world class" can be used a little too easily these days, but Harry Kane definitely is World class and getting better IMO.

I think he is on the cusp. Still not totally convinced by his ball control and at times his passing. And again yesterday his selfishness when other players are in better positions, screaming for a pass.