Salford | Vital Football

Salford

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
They were an organised, robust team who had a solid gamelan and gave Pools players little or no time on the ball. Their two goals were quality strikes from open play which could have been prevented by a more solid Pools midfield performance.

My view was that Pools midfield/ forward line was too weak and easily overran by Salfords more experienced players. White, Grey and Fletcher are young lads who weren't up to the task of competing with experienced pros, for all of their undoubted talent. Shelton although adequate and a trier isn't good enough, hence he's been in and out of the team all season
We can only hope that Spike is able to recruit solid League2 players in the summer to bolster the squad ahead of what, I anticipate, will be a very competitive league next time out!

Pools are a work-in-progress and will be for at least the next season. They are, and will continue to be, hit and miss. Considering where we were last season we are doing well, certainly better than I expected.

At the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off for mid table and safety with 6 games to go. It should be remembered that we had a quick turnaround after promotion and lots of the team will be running on empty. Hope we can keep the likes of Ferguson and Byrne and recruit proven League 2 players who know what it takes to get promotion.