Salary Cap | Vital Football

Salary Cap

jogills

Vital Football Hero
So clubs have voted for salary caps of £2.5M in League One & £1.5M in League Two, to include all extras bar promotion bonuses with immediate effect. How close do we think Bristol Rovers are already. Should certainly rein in the big clubs and level things up a bit.

Clubs already above limit, like Sunderland, will be deemed to be paying already contracted players at agreed divisional average (expected to be £1,700 per week.

Salary cap starts from today! Business already done doesn’t matter!

So clubs have voted for salary caps of £2.5M in League One & £1.5M in League Two, to include all extras bar promotion bonuses with immediate effect. How close do we think Bristol Rovers are already. Should certainly rein in the big clubs and level things up a bit.

Clubs already above limit, like Sunderland, will be deemed to be paying already contracted players at agreed divisional average (expected to be £1,700 per week.
It might also mean that some very good players who are under contract have the managers begging them to find another club.Could be some very tough decisions for clubs who are already at or above that line.
I have to wonder what happens if a club has say a goalkeeper injury crisis out of the transfer window and has used up their budget?

How does that work?
If a club has already committed to spend 2.5million on wages.They can spend another 2.5 million?
I read it that if a club are already contracted at say £3m, you're ok as long as no one us above the £1.7k per week as mentioned above (?)

FGR chairman Dale Vince “We knew it was likely to happen so we got our business done early”

I read it that if a club are already contracted at say £3m, you're ok as long as no one us above the £1.7k per week as mentioned above (?)
So largely it is fairly meaningless this season. But does it mean all clubs will have to stick to that limit next season?

Professional Footballers Association have said wage cap is unlawful and unenforceable!

If a club has already exceeded the cap then all players already signed will be calculated at £1700 per week. It will have a very big impact this season and Gordon Taylor can keep counting his cash mountain; he has little of importance to contribute on football matters.

The vote in our decision was closer but League Two clubs voted 22 to 2 in favour. The so called big boys should think long and hard because without this measure and more they will have no one to play against.

In the real world most people work with a salary cap, working a certain job pays a certain wage. Anyone wanting to increase their salary can A)....take additional qualifications, B)... gain a promotion, C)... get a new job, why should it be illegal in football and acceptable everywhere else.

They would.
The thing to remember is that when it comes down to it, footballers are employees just like the rest of us. Better paid obviously, but employees just the same. A "cartel" of employers agreeing set wages would appear on the surface to be anti-competetive

The thing to remember is that when it comes down to it, footballers are employees just like the rest of us. Better paid obviously, but employees just the same. A "cartel" of employers agreeing set wages would appear on the surface to be anti-competetive
There are no set wages. What was passed was an overall salary cap, not an individual one.
They can pay one player two million quid if they want.
Half million split between the rest .

There are no set wages. What was passed was an overall salary cap, not an individual one.
They can pay one player two million quid if they want.
Half million split between the rest .
Fair point but I can't think of any other business where the competition dictates how much a competitor spends in wages.Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the idea .it is just that I can't see it ever getting past a judge.i am certain there will be a legal challenge.

Last edited: