Salary Cap? | Page 12 | Vital Football

Salary Cap?

It seems that the complaint is about the process of approving it (without fully involving a PFA/EFL organisation in the discussions), rather than with the legality of doing it. If this assessment is correct, then there is the possibility that the Cap may return next year following a different approval process and (you would imagine) some amendments.

Either way, I think this suggests that this drama may have a way to run yet.

It also proves, if further proof was needed, that the EFL couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery and are totally inept at even basic rule following that they themselves created.

I think the current pandemic and with it the lack of fans through turnstiles will lead to a reduction in the amount most L1 & L2 clubs will pay players. There will always be clubs that will take a gamble thinking that by getting players from higher divisions and paying them the market rate for that division will bring them success. There are also the clubs that look lower down the leagues and find rough diamonds that they shape into a better player

For most teams I think it will be a successful season next year if all 92 teams are still trading

You would have thought the PFA would have supported ensuring clubs could pay their employees and members, particularly since it's often the PFA who have to step in and keep the players solvent with grants to the clubs in trouble...

PFA or specifically the multi millionaire Gordon Taylor, doesn't give a shit about clubs or players, just his own fat salary.
Pretty sure players in our divisions would much rather know their employer can survive long term and give 1000+ of them well paid jobs in a sport they all love.
I think even the averaged capped salary for each division works out at around £150k per player (for a usual sized squad and if club spends at salary cap level).
Plus of course, clubs can still spend beyond the capped level, but just incur some penalty costs. Can't recall if there was anything except financial consequences of overspending, so if you're a Sunderland with multi millions available, then you can still spend them. Yes??

A shame as I think there is a lot of merit to it, and something has to be done regarding clubs who continually spend way beyond their means and get into financial difficulty. It actually felt like something positive was being done about the problem.

On a selfish note, the salary cap arguably levelled the playing field somewhat for us.
Send them to the wall. No more tax breaks, pay up or we will shut you up. It the tax man takes a hit a couple of times, rather than accepting x pence in the pound, I think it might help.

Send them to the wall. No more tax breaks, pay up or we will shut you up. It the tax man takes a hit a couple of times, rather than accepting x pence in the pound, I think it might help.

Nah. Give HMRC powers to persue directors for unpaid tax. That would sort it out very quickly.

Let's be honest, a flat rate salary cap, taking no account of the different circumstances or sizes of clubs, was a really stupid idea from the start.

Some limits have to be applied, but I'm glad this daft idea has been scrapped.

Let's be honest, a flat rate salary cap, taking no account of the different circumstances or sizes of clubs, was a really stupid idea from the start.

Some limits have to be applied, but I'm glad this daft idea has been scrapped.
The idea of a salary cap is good. I think most would agree that it should be linked to proven club income.
Sadly, it ain't the clubs that have got it stopped. It's greed that's got it stopped.

The idea of a salary cap is good. I think most would agree that it should be linked to proven club income.
Sadly, it ain't the clubs that have got it stopped. It's greed that's got it stopped.

If you mean player greed, yes.

But in this case, I support that if it means someone comes up with a more flexible system.

It can't be like the Championship either with the 3-year rolling losses which has become farcical.

Very disappointing. It felt like the start of the football authorities maybe beginning to think about how to start to address the vexatious issue of sustainable football finance.

Very disappointing. It felt like the start of the football authorities maybe beginning to think about how to start to address the vexatious issue of sustainable football finance.

It's like everything in this country. Nothing ever happens, apart from everything getting worse.

Might help us as the Sunderland’s and Ipswich’s will continue to waste money trying to buy their way out the division. They would stand a better chance with players who aren’t just there for the money.

All these ideas are great but until they're implemented, overseen and applied correctly, they'll fail.

It needs some form of independent regulatory/auditing body to do all that.

The government and in particular PFA can do something about the situation. The PFA seem to be worried the salary cap may not be legal and/or enforceable. Simple the government change the laws to tighten loopholes the PFA are scared of. As for the PL/FL/PFA soon as a club is late paying players give them a points deduction. Give HMRC more powers to stop clubs trading if they are breaking the rules. That is what happens at the extreme end to other businesses. Isn't it?
This does of course mean the testicular challenged members who preside over football in this country would actually need to grow a pair and enforce their rules. I am not going to hold my breath.
As it happens, I am personally not bothered how much a club spends to get out of a division providing the money is theirs and they are paying the bills. Ipswich, Sunderland and others have failed by throwing money at the issue. Good management and coaching is as important and given that what price do we put on our manager now clubs can spend what they like again?

SMCP is a perfectly adequate method of ensuring clubs don't overspend - but only if it is enforced.

SMCP is a perfectly adequate method of ensuring clubs don't overspend - but only if it is enforced.
But only if they actually have some income to start with. SMCP is completely irrelevant and unworkable as things stand.