Safe Standing | Page 2 | Vital Football

Safe Standing

Quick summary of the current legislation re seating/standing and the legalities:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/the-legalities-of-standing/

You could argue that there is nothing to stop clubs installing the 'safe standing' bars as per Celtic, Dortmund, etc. But it is then incumbent on clubs (via stewards) to ensure people sit down.

The law only provides that these clubs should provide seats for all supporters, not that supporters must sit on them.

So installing the 'safe standing' bars surely doesn't fall foul pf this requirement?

...the Football League’s model set of ground regulations states: ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

It is notable that the two rules are contradictory, the first bars all ‘standing’, the second only ‘persistent standing’. In practice, standing to go to the toilet or snack bar and standing at ‘moments of excitement’ is permitted. The boundary between ‘moments of excitement’ and ‘persistent’ is rather grey and open to very wide interpretation.

Interesting. So why don't clubs just install barriers like they have at Celtic/Dortmund/etc. and then get the stewards to ensure (ish) that people use the seat facility contained therein? After all, it's still a seat, no different to what we have now except there is a barrier in front of it.

Asking for a friend.

The Premier League make me sick - sycophantic bellends.

More evidence is needed before safe standing can be allowed at top-flight stadiums, the Premier League has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43816195

The subject is complex....really....can you wipe your own arse? Does that explain why you've polled in the low thousands but believe your research is more comprehensive than everyone else?

"Additionally, the majority want the option of being able to stand and sit."

I reference JPA's post above - my God we're dealing with genius folks.

Current rail seating is locked for standing. Is a design with a robust clip or a waterproof bolt for personal choice such a crazy idea?

Sorry folks but when MPs and the government get involved in anything that affect ordinary people it always end up as a total lash up.
They pontificate on things they know nothing about and what comes about is nearly always a complete dogs dinner.
This legislation was a knee jerk reaction by, if memory serves me correctly, Thatcher and a bunch of anti working class ministers and judges who came up with this mess that we are now stuck with.
It is a farcical situation that exists in our stadiums, highlighted by the fact that I have yet to sit down at a game for many years in the K4 section that I usually sit in, and have never been told to due so by a steward.

That's why the phrase 'complex' wound me up.

Over simplification maybe - two types of fan (not including disabled/wheelchair).

Type 1 - prefers to sit and stand at key moments. They stay in seated areas.
Type 2 - prefers to stand with option to sit. Rail seating - just remove the locked upright element, have a system where it's sprung upright/manual bolt upright but if wanted seat can be moved down.

Given the Prem's response though - WHICH Premier League clubs have been giving their fans the soft waffle, or should I say, which TOP clubs who see fans as cashcows only have been giving the soft waffle.

Spurs' new Stadium is future proofed for potential rail seating by design for example.

People stand at football, on standing terrace or where seating is. The rail seating is fine, nobody has the balls to back it and the weasel politicians are scared to back it. I stood at Hillsborough again this season in the lower tier with seats and one entrance still to get to the seats, abysmal, Leeds away was just as bad.

The worst view I've ever had at a modern football ground is the stretford end for our cup semi final against the plop. Had to stand the whole game as the banking just wasn't steep enough. Have never been back to that shit hole since.

Plenty are backing it though pvb that's why the Gov's response and the Premier League's is such a crock of shite.

The joy is, the Safety experts have pointed and laughed at Crouch's response. EFL Chief is 'robustly' on record now in favour. And even with the Prem's pandering, it's the first time they've admitted there is a desire for safe standing.

It's a matter of time...just not necessarily quickly.

https://wba.vitalfootball.co.uk/saf...-traction-after-pathetic-government-response/

(I know it's West Brom but it's our West Brom lol)

Good read in my humble and link at bottom to add your name to the Gov petition, every little helps but I'm not tapping anyone on the backside!

Well, we're football fans so we're scum. It's not like cricket, rugby, tennis, polo etc is it.

Okay maybe polo is a stretch, and even tennis?

But you can drink in the stands in rugby, I believe the same is true in cricket.

Are rugby and cricket fans not also football fans largely? And vice-versa.

Hmmmmm.....

Is the Government's argument Hitler would've been fine if he worked in a nursery and didn't get into politics?

The online petition to change legislation which will allow fans to stand has surpassed 80,000 signatures. Less than 20,000 until it HAS to be debated in parliament and the deadline is 8th June.

Sadly not at the moment Witton - not in terms of me doing it as I normally would.

Plan on emailing our Eds about the petition next week as undoubtedly some would pick it up and run with it, and hoping to get my head around how to approach it (given the WBA angle here) with a Villa perspective to keep it kosher as well.

That's on my todo list for the weekend though. With the main media having picked up on it already, no harm in spreading it's burn though a few weeks though to eek out extra siggies.