Safe Standing Petition | Vital Football

Safe Standing Petition

They will need to charge a premium for standing in order to recover the costs of the stand alteration etc. £50 per place per game?

Just had an email from UK Government Petitions Team informing me that Parliament will debate Safe Standing on 25th June.
Once debate has happened they’ll apparently email me a transcript and video the debate.
Well done all who signed ?✊

Got the same e-mail as well . It’s now time to move on and safe standing is a totally acceptable alternative to sitting

Reply from HMG via e-mail ..... The Government believes that all seater stadiums are the safest way to ensure the safety of spectators at football stadiums .

Talk about burying your head in the sand and living in the past

Just an update on this. It was debated recently. It’s lengthy, but you can watch it at:
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/7860c4f1-7b1e-49da-84c8-5ffe5917515f

Or the transcript is here:
https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...5-4E2D-8F3E-1D7FF3838818/FootballSafeStanding

Norwich in particular had a couple of mentions:

Clive Lewis (Norwich South) (Lab)

Norwich City football club supports safe standing, as do many of the fans. One concern many fans have, however, is that some clubs may use the increase in supply as a cash cow, to generate more money from sales, rather than increase the supply of tickets for those loyal fans, who are currently priced out of many football games.

Tracey Crouch

I look forward to working closely with the Premier League, the English Football League and other organisations, including the Football Supporters Federation, which I met last week, to make progress together. I would like to thank the FSF, the Premier League, Mike Davis from Shrewsbury Town Supporters and the Plymouth Argyle management, who, in the middle of all the abuse, were kind and considerate in their conversations with me about the issue, which I appreciate. I also thank those at Spurs, and the chairman of Norwich City, for explaining the pragmatic approach that they are taking to ensure fans’ safety while still adhering to the law.

I acknowledge the evolution of stadium design, seating technology and modern crowd management approaches that has taken place in recent years. The data-gathering work will look at the impact of those changes and consider any existing data on the wider impact of introducing the type of rail seating accommodation used in Germany and elsewhere on attendances, ticket prices, the atmosphere, the diversity of supporters, fan behaviour, the management of various parts of the stadiums and, of course, safety.

• Mr Betts

In the review, will the Minister look at the discrimination that occurs at present? If there is no standing area and people insist on standing in seated areas, it means that there is no alternative for smaller people, such as women and children, who are prevented from enjoying the game and viewing it properly, or for people who have a disability and simply cannot stand up for 45 minutes.

• Tracey Crouch

That is why I praise Norwich City’s pragmatic approach in recognising that some fans who were persistently standing in a family section were causing a great deal of distress to people who pay a significant amount of money to watch their team with young children. It has effectively moved those fans to a different part of the stadium, which allows the family supporters to continue to watch the football match.

In a nut shell, I understand they are going to continue to "investigate" in means of gathering injury data and the like and where they occur so there is stronger evidence for standing to be safer. Could be a while yet then before we see anything but we do seem to be one just a couple of clubs mentioned and the only club to be mentioned numerous times.

Last edited:
I agree with the club ......safe standing is safer than kids stood on seats . It’s time we moved on from Hillsborough ..

Thanks for the details Nathan