🚹 Ryan Sessegnon - Player Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

🚹 Ryan Sessegnon - Player Thread

People shouldn't be trying to defend Davies. This is his 10th season with the club.

It doesn't matter if it's CB or LB, he isn't good enough and never will be.

It's on the club for rewarding him a new deal when he should have been sold on.

Ange has been stuck with him this season. I don't believe for a second he wants Davies here long term. Ange ignoring him for the captaincy against Burnley spoke volumes.

Not for me. When you have 3 centre halves on the bench and Ben is playing then he needs to be categorised as a centre half. If there were no centre halves on the bench, then I align with you. That has not been the case.

Also, at the end of games, we could have also had one of these big centre halves with aerial presence on the pitch as well as Ben, and shifted things around. It's not like Phillips didn't finish last season as centre half in the Championship. He is not unfamiliar with those set piece routines.
I don't disagree, I would have loved to see one of Phillips or Dorrington given an opportunity but Ange clearly had his reasons for selecting Davies ahead of them.

As PL has got more physically stronger and intense, teams managers, coaches, medical doctors have to be very careful of younger players. As to advance them to first team involvement too soon will cause injuries, sesss. seems to be suffering with this situation, (fulham & spurs). So young players age 18 -21 are being loaned out more. Ange has shown he has the well being safety of our academy players... so well done gaffer. Coys

People shouldn't be trying to defend Davies. This is his 10th season with the club.

Ange has been stuck with him this season. I don't believe for a second he wants Davies here long term. Ange ignoring him for the captaincy against Burnley spoke volumes.
Bentancur is a first XI player, Davies is filling in. I think picking Bentancur as captain is more to do with the fact that Davies is likely going to be back on the bench soon as VDV is fit whereas Bents will stay in the XI.

Davies is a solid squad player. He has weaknesses, sure, if he didn't he'd be first XI or have been bought by another club. Defending a guy who tends to give his all and has been fairly solid in a position he's not traditionally played in is no bad thing.

Watch the second clip again and tell me who is the guiltier, Davies or Sess. If Porro could see what a useless job Ben did, would he have the balls to call out a senior player like he did the younger Sess? Ben neither blocked runners or made any effort to jump with the 3 big men. After all it is Ben, not Sess, that is our left centre half.

Davies has been baled out by Richi so many times in the last 4-6 weeks on set pieces. Of course on this one, neither Richi or Bents were on the pitch. This stuff is so subtle, but I still have no clue how Ange thinks Ben can play that position. This is yet another example of why he has struggled so much, and could have cost us a fair few goals. Not his fault though, as he doesn't pick himself. The manager does.
I don't disagree that others weren't on job - I'm just saying Vic literally points to the exact position he wants Sess to be in - and that happens to end up being exactly where their GK attacks from. Which is presumably why Vic got so angry with him. I like seeing Vic berating players though - maybe Sess was a bit unlucky to get the brunt but I don't get the impression Vic would be shy mouthing off at anyone he felt weren't following instructions properly.

I don't disagree that others weren't on job - I'm just saying Vic literally points to the exact position he wants Sess to be in - and that happens to end up being exactly where their GK attacks from. Which is presumably why Vic got so angry with him. I like seeing Vic berating players though - maybe Sess was a bit unlucky to get the brunt but I don't get the impression Vic would be shy mouthing off at anyone he felt weren't following instructions properly.

Yep, you're right, you can see now why he had to do what he did. Sess wasnt up to speed, or wasn't listening to him - he will in future! That said, even if he did manage to jump, I still think the other behind him were at fault and perhaps even Venom himself for allowing him a free header.

Bentancur is a first XI player, Davies is filling in. I think picking Bentancur as captain is more to do with the fact that Davies is likely going to be back on the bench soon as VDV is fit whereas Bents will stay in the XI.

Davies is a solid squad player. He has weaknesses, sure, if he didn't he'd be first XI or have been bought by another club. Defending a guy who tends to give his all and has been fairly solid in a position he's not traditionally played in is no bad thing.
Don't agree. It's enabling a guy that has continued to fail. Couldn't careless if he had two good games with Romero holding his hand either.

Davies isn't that solid these days anyway. All you have to do is watch his defending since he came in the side. Plenty of goals have came because of him.

The final quarter of the year we had the third worst defensive record in the league. He played in all of them games.

Last season, our worst ever Premier league defensive record, he played the majority.

Sorry that doesn't happe if you are good or solid. It happens when you are crap.

He has out stayed his welcome and the club should be forcing his hand.

Defence can take different forms, if you go back and read any of my posts referring to Davies you won't find a single instance where I have said or even suggested he is of the standard we aspire to. Where I do defend him is where his loyal service to our club over a long period is disrespected, the guy has always given 100% on the pitch, regardless of the level of his abilities, and has helped our club to a number of top 4 finishes and played a part in the club reaching a CL final. Surely that is worthy of better than being described as crap.

Defence can take different forms, if you go back and read any of my posts referring to Davies you won't find a single instance where I have said or even suggested he is of the standard we aspire to. Where I do defend him is where his loyal service to our club over a long period is disrespected, the guy has always given 100% on the pitch, regardless of the level of his abilities, and has helped our club to a number of top 4 finishes and played a part in the club reaching a CL final. Surely that is worthy of better than being described as crap.
I didnt say you were defending him. It was a punt point in general after reading all over social media how great he has been when he factually hasn't been.

Don't agree with anything you say there at all though. Being loyal and hard working doesn't mean you deserve your job.

Put any other LB or CB in the league in his place and I guarantee we still achieve a top 4 finish.

Being Sentimental won't win us trophies.

I didnt say you were defending him. It was a punt point in general after reading all over social media how great he has been when he factually hasn't been.

Don't agree with anything you say there at all though. Being loyal and hard working doesn't mean you deserve your job.

Put any other LB or CB in the league in his place and I guarantee we still achieve a top 4 finish.

Being Sentimental won't win us trophies.
It's not about sentiment, I'd sooner have an average player that gives 100% over a talented player who is a lazy tosser, you know who I mean! ;)

Agree entirely. Davies may not be what is needed as a first eleven selection going forward, but his value as a squad player has never been in doubt with the Club and a succession of managers. I find it interesting how Alistair Gould's view regarding Davies on his Podcasts, given that he can reasonably be viewed as a Spurs expert with plenty of 'inside info', differs so widely from the abuse and negativity consistently directed toward Davies on here. It frustrates me that superlatives and positives tend to be showered on new signings on the strength of a handful of promising performances, long before they've proven to be of the same value as Davies has been to the Club over the course of time.

It's not about sentiment, I'd sooner have an average player that gives 100% over a talented player who is a lazy tosser, you know who I mean! ;)

We have a better than average one who has been playing alongside Davies recently. He's outperformed Davies at centre half and is also a very decent backup for Porro. That is something Ben isn't for Udogie in Ange-ball.

I'm with RD, I just don't see where Davies fits into this equation in the next phase. I'm also thinking that Phillips wouldn't have done a much better job than Ben in this recent phase.

If we can land Dragusin, and Udogie gets injured, surely VDV just shifts across to LB. With Sess as another option from the bench, I just cannot even get Ben in the match day squad at that point.

No elite club should have 30 somethings hogging the places 20 to 25 in a PL squad and blocking the path of youngsters. That's now the fortunate position we find ourselves in.

We have a better than average one who has been playing alongside Davies recently. He's outperformed Davies at centre half and is also a very decent backup for Porro. That is something Ben isn't for Udogie in Ange-ball.

I'm with RD, I just don't see where Davies fits into this equation in the next phase. I'm also thinking that Phillips wouldn't have done a much better job than Ben in this recent phase.

If we can land Dragusin, and Udogie gets injured, surely VDV just shifts across to LB. With Sess as another option from the bench, I just cannot even get Ben in the match day squad at that point.

No elite club should have 30 somethings hogging the places 20 to 25 in a PL squad and blocking the path of youngsters. That's now the fortunate position we find ourselves in.
I think we all know his time is soon to be up with us, I'd be extremely surprised if he's still with us come the end of the summer window, there is talk his agent is already beginning to be active in talking to other clubs, not gospel yet, but the fact this is a topic in agents circles at all is interesting.

I think we all know his time is soon to be up with us, I'd be extremely surprised if he's still with us come the end of the summer window, there is talk his agent is already beginning to be active in talking to other clubs, not gospel yet, but the fact this is a topic in agents circles at all is interesting.
Wiv you there Ex, Davies and his Agent will know that his time at Spurs is coming to an end, so time to move on! COYS