Ryan Jackson | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ryan Jackson

I care Christine, not too difficult to remember correctly a couple of dozen footballers names at our club is it? :throw:
Given the guy hasn't played he is a bit easy to forget him.I believe I have seen him play twice in my life maybe three times as a lot of appearances were away or in that silly trophy. There are a lot of opposition players I would have seen far more of.

Last edited:
Given the guy hasn't played he is a bit easy to forget him.I believe I have seen him play twice in my life maybe three times as a lot of appearances were away or in that silly trophy. There are a lot of opposition players I would have seen far more of.

Fair enough, he hasn't played much, but easy name to remember, or spell anyway, at least it's not Ndumbu-Nsungu, Omoyimni, Perpetuini or Scaramozzino.

Just in case you've forgotten, I'd like to refresh you about another player we have, not played much, his name is Matty Willock, could be quite a good player once he's played a few games! :grinning:

Fair enough, he hasn't played much, but easy name to remember, or spell anyway, at least it's not Ndumbu-Nsungu, Omoyimni, Perpetuini or Scaramozzino.

Just in case you've forgotten, I'd like to refresh you about another player we have, not played much, his name is Matty Willock, could be quite a good player once he's played a few games! :grinning:
It would be unfair of me to make that judgement on Willock being as I think I saw less of him that Hobson. I just hope he is fit this season and can do the best he is able too.
It is easier to remember a Sidibe or Ipoua even if I miss spell them because they had a impact.

Fuller was part of a defence that was one of the better defensive set ups in league one. That's how.Fuller was one of our best five or six players.

He was a dependable consistant player as part of the whole defensive set up but he is no Virgil van Djik whose ability links the whole defense to play better. Fuller is simply one cog out of several.

Fuller has been great when most people thought giving him an initial 2 year deal was stupid. But there were a number of times towards the end of last season where he looked tired in the "mind is willing, but the legs less so" way. I'd have been confident he would have been largely dependable until the end of the season, but it would be sad to see him decline and be a liabilty next season. Sadly there are subtle signs that he may not hold off age.

Are you Barry's dad? I'm starting to think everyone in here has a dad or son that has played for the Gills.
I was just saying the same to my son Bradley 😳

Dack right?

Who was the other guy who used to post about being a physio and claimed his son was in perfect condition and he'd been let down by the club??

He was a dependable consistant player as part of the whole defensive set up but he is no Virgil van Djik whose ability links the whole defense to play better. Fuller is simply one cog out of several.

Fuller has been great when most people thought giving him an initial 2 year deal was stupid. But there were a number of times towards the end of last season where he looked tired in the "mind is willing, but the legs less so" way. I'd have been confident he would have been largely dependable until the end of the season, but it would be sad to see him decline and be a liabilty next season. Sadly there are subtle signs that he may not hold off age.
There could have been other options like giving Barry the defensive midfield job .His influence would have helped a young defensive back line and it is a position that normally requires less movement it is more to do with position as against speed .

There could have been other options like giving Barry the defensive midfield job .His influence would have helped a young defensive back line and it is a position that normally requires less movement it is more to do with position as against speed .

I'm not sure I would agree that mobility and speed are less important when playing the defensive midfielder role.

I prefer the idea of actually picking a player whose preferred position is as a defensive midfielder in the defensive midfielder position. I know, its a stupidly radical idea of playing people in their correct positions rather than moving players into unfamiliar positions just so favoured players play. In terms of the defensive ball winning role, I personally would pick Byrne ahead of him if he recovered. Byrne would be playing in his correct position and is vastly more mobile than Fuller. Oh, and Byrne is in his early 30s so has a load of experience.

Since Jackson is 30 years old, I am sure he has suitable experience to help the defense. O'Keefe who I think is also a bit more defensive is approaching 30 years old as well.

I liked Ryan and thought he was a good player and talented full back for us in his first spell and was disappointed to see him go. Saying that, he's gone to lower team and, whilst being a regular, at a lower level of football, seems not to have turned up any trees. I am, however, quite willing to give him a chance and hope for the best for him and us; I'd like to see him and Barry competing for the right back spot. I don't agree with those overly concerned with this move - I'm more concerned that we've done this bit of business this week, but a week ago, let our captain and arguably best player go to, in my opinion, an inferior and at best par team - don't get that.

Timing is everything Treacle.
Had the EFL announcement been two weeks earlier, I expect Max would have resigned for us.
Now he has to upend his family to the Bristol area.
He just couldn’t gamble on when the announcement was made and we couldn’t make a firm offer until it was.
That’s life.

Had the EFL announcement been two weeks earlier, I expect Max would have resigned for us.
He just couldn’t gamble on when the announcement was made and we couldn’t make a firm offer until it was.
That’s life.

True, but surely the same applied to Bristol Rovers....

That’s life.

I'd also argue that Rovers (at the moment) are showing more ambition than us and may have a better season than us next season. It looks as if they are going all out for promotion. They have the external investment to do that, we don't.

I'm not sure Max would need to move his family either. If he is still based in West London then its not that far down the M4.

Dack right?

Who was the other guy who used to post about being a physio and claimed his son was in perfect condition and he'd been let down by the club??
Was it Kettners? There have been a few on here over the years that have had an irrational "over liking" of a player so get labelled as the players dad. I think John Knee could well have been Cody Mac's dad 😁

Seems like a lot of excuses - at the end of the day, the net result is that our skipper and best player has gone to a club who finished lower than us last season. As a passionate and genuine GFC fan, I am disappointed that this has happened and disappointed for Max, as personally, I think he was outstanding, and if he were to move, I'd have expected him to have gone up a division or at least to one of the bigger teams in league one.

Last edited: