Russia 2018 | Vital Football

Russia 2018

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Anybody fancy being a referee for the World Cup ?
You won't have a lot on your plate .
Apart from the usual diving , lying , cheating, kicking , punching, time wasting etc , they will now be expected to take control of violence and racism from the crowd by suspending or abandoning matches.
Of course they will be helped by VAR which I think wI'll be re designated as Violence and Racism overview

March 28 2018 - 16:03
Russian Football Union Launches Investigation into Racist Chants at France Friendly

Peter Kovalyov / TASS

The Russian Football Union will reportedly investigate racist chants by fans in St. Petersburg directed at French players during a friendly less than three months ahead of the 2018 World Cup.

The monkey chants were audible on a live broadcast Tuesday after French midfielder Paul Pogba scored in a 3-1 win over Russia. The head of the Fare Network anti-discrimination NGO has called on the world’s footballing body FIFA to initiate proceedings, the Associated Press reported Wednesday.

pic.twitter.com/bN91rBlCcA
— Difference (@Differreencee) March 28, 2018

Alexei Smertin, the Russian Football Union's anti-discrimination officer and a former Russian national team captain, told the Championat.com sports news website that the union is “closely” investigating the reported chants.

“As soon as there are final results, we will certainly disclose them. If violations are detected, appropriate measures will be taken,” Smertin said Wednesday.

Russia hosts the World Cup from June 14 to July 15 in 11 cities including St. Petersburg, the site of Russia’s group-stage match against Egypt, as well as Morocco-Iran, Nigeria-Argentina and Brazil-Costa Rica. St. Petersburg Stadium is also set to host the semifinals on July 10.

.......except ,the FIFA president is apparently laying the policing of these chants on the poor old ref saying he has the power to halt or abandon the game ,and that the ref for the Russia /France game did nothing .
It seems that FARE (?) are more involved than FIFA but I don't know anything about them, how much clout they carry

Walthamstow wanderer - 29/3/2018 11:15

.......except ,the FIFA president is apparently laying the policing of these chants on the poor old ref saying he has the power to halt or abandon the game ,and that the ref for the Russia /France game did nothing .
It seems that FARE (?) are more involved than FIFA but I don't know anything about them, how much clout they carry

FARE has no formal standing in the game, if anything FIFA wish they never existed as it was FARE that really shamed them into their anti-racism campaign.

As I said, FIFA should have been warning the Russian federation and giving them a huge fine to get their attention BEFORE the World Cup, but all they are interested in is making sure nothing untoward is done to Russia before the World Cup..

Walthamstow wanderer - 28/3/2018 18:06

Apart from the usual diving , lying , cheating, kicking , punching, time wasting etc , they will now be expected to take control of violence and racism from the crowd by suspending or abandoning matches.
Of course they will be helped by VAR which I think wI'll be re designated as Violence and Racism overview

No UK officials have been chosen for the world cup despite 5 or 6 PL refs being put forward. Not one was chosen.

The estimate is that 2000 workers will have died in the process of building the stadiums in Qatar. Seriously as a fan or player would you feel comfortable being part of the tournament knowing the circumstances behind it. ?

The awards of both Russia and Qatar were so wrong from the start . Both were corrupt and continue to be so , and no , I wouldn't be comfortable Nick . In my opinion ,which obviously counts for not a jot, both Venues should be allocated elsewhere ,but as we all now know curruption and vast amounts of money mean more

Nick Real Deal - 29/3/2018 17:47

Walthamstow wanderer - 28/3/2018 18:06

No UK officials have been chosen for the world cup despite 5 or 6 PL refs being put forward. Not one was chosen.

Wow. I wasn't aware of that. They must be breathing a collective sigh of relief. This makes me even more fearful now . Some of the refs I've seen this year ,how could I say it, ......sometimes astonish me , with how they come to their decisions in international and champions league games

Nick Real Deal - 29/3/2018 18:10

The estimate is that 2000 workers will have died in the process of building the stadiums in Qatar. Seriously as a fan or player would you feel comfortable being part of the tournament knowing the circumstances behind it. ?

Nick, Russia too has and is treating it's 'cheap' (slave punishment labour) 'workers' frrom North Korea disgustingly as well...

By any Human rights, moral, ethical standard, FIFA should be held to account for what they've allowed to happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/04/like-prisoners-of-war-north-korean-labour-russia-world-cup-st-petersburg-stadium-zenit-arena

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/world/europe/north-korea-russia-migrants.html

I agree, the tournament is tainted with human misery and suffering. It should be boycotted.

I love the world cup. I will not watch any of it now. How can I ? It's double standards. I'm gutted but I have a conscience.

VAR is to be used for the first time to allow the ref to go back and analyse incidents up to an hour after they have happened and even send a player off if it is warranted .
A player can now commit an offence in the first half , the game be restarted with a free kick , the ref can review it , even at half time and send that player off.
Previously , if the game had restarted , the player could not be sent off on review .
Incidents like Zidanne,s head butt to the chest can now reviewed even up to an hour after .
Not long ago a ref in the German league ,brought the players back on the pitch during the half time break to award a penalty , after he had reviewed the situation in the changing room , then blow for half time again

Whisper this, I'm getting quite excited, bring on the football and all the associated shenanigans :eek!::wahey::halo:

BBC football website .....don't you just love it .. There is an extended article article on there with David Ellery explaining how VAR is going to work during the World Cup and how it might have made a difference in the previous World Cup ........'kin hilarious .
Any games I record , I think I might have to add an extra hour on the recording time to see it all . It could be a long old tournament reviewing serious missed fouls. Serious missed incidences . Mistaken identity . VAR reviews, and Referee reviews.
Bring it on , I can't wait