Run In as from today 5th April | Page 3 | Vital Football

Run In as from today 5th April

I don't get the disdain some have for the Europa League. Winning it would be the biggest thing we've achieved since 1982, plus its a backdoor route into the Champions League.
I do agree our league form would suffer with the current squad size however, so maybe its a year too early for us to qualify for it. Surely that has to be the aim over the next season or two though, if we are to continue to progress
Yes Gary, we all want those fantastic European nights again but maybe next season is a year early. Ajax,Inter,Bilbao, Atletico Madrid and Barcelona. Great memories but we're not ready just yet,squad wise.

Even allowing for youngsters to be bloodied in the EL, we really need at least 2/3 genuine potential starters on the bench first.

My EL concern this year is simply our current squad of 14 ish isn't deep enough to give it a real challenge when you factor in travel, tiredness, the manic fixture list etc.

I'd worry it would tempt us to pad the squad rather than improve key areas.

Well this is a strange thread.

First people are more concerned with Liverpool and Leeds than the Tesco Bags.

Now we don’t want to be qualifying for the europa league. So how does that work then?

So our form and performances are shite this year and we need to be better . Despite this we are in 9th place, probably only 5 points from a europa league place (6th) with a game in hand. If our form improves from our current ...ahem.. relegation form...this year our league position will improve and that will move us up the table into said europa league contention that we don‘t want.

So in summary. We need to start winning more games but not move up the table.

I’m out.

Well this is a strange thread.

First people are more concerned with Liverpool and Leeds than the Tesco Bags.

Now we don’t want to be qualifying for the europa league. So how does that work then?

So our form and performances are shite this year and we need to be better . Despite this we are in 9th place, probably only 5 points from a europa league place (6th) with a game in hand. If our form improves from our current ...ahem.. relegation form...this year our league position will improve and that will move us up the table into said europa league contention that we don‘t want.

So in summary. We need to start winning more games but not move up the table.

I’m out.
Correct Melon.

than the Tesco Bags.

We have a plastics thread in OT mate.

On a serious point, if the club believe we are 12 months ahead of schedule still, I only see the EL as stalling us in 2021/22 and putting us 18 months behind. We'd be looking for bodies for rotation IF we wanted to win and the spend v revenue would be a waste vs key positions being improved for real improvement next year.

The EL would aide us in the transfer market, but that would be redundant because we'd have to lower our sights and go for 5/6 signings for numbers as opposed to 3/4 key instant improvements.

Okay we can lead with the kids but what would that do for spirit in denying accepted first teamers the European cap.

And so on, look at what the EL did for the loveable Wolves who tried the budget route - they've never recovered. Southampton and Burnley tried the spend route but compromised on quality and have paid for it since.

Our aim next season should be an EL battle as further improvement, absolutely. But let's not run before we can walk - this year top 8/10 is more than enough after the disruptions.

On a serious point, if the club believe we are 12 months ahead of schedule still, I only see the EL as stalling us in 2021/22 and putting us 18 months behind. We'd be looking for bodies for rotation IF we wanted to win and the spend v revenue would be a waste vs key positions being improved for real improvement next year.

The EL would aide us in the transfer market, but that would be redundant because we'd have to lower our sights and go for 5/6 signings for numbers as opposed to 3/4 key instant improvements.

Okay we can lead with the kids but what would that do for spirit in denying accepted first teamers the European cap.

And so on, look at what the EL did for the loveable Wolves who tried the budget route - they've never recovered. Southampton and Burnley tried the spend route but compromised on quality and have paid for it since.

Our aim next season should be an EL battle as further improvement, absolutely. But let's not run before we can walk - this year top 8/10 is more than enough after the disruptions.

I accept the demand on the squad that this would bring but thats not my point.

I accept the demand on the squad that this would bring but thats not my point.

Sorry, I've missed the point then matey. Unless you mean the demand for improvement in form but not moving up the table?

I thought you were just being facitious (I've spelt that wrong). We can definitely improve but even if we do, I don't actually see us closing the gap by enough anyway in terms of enough other teams dropping enough points.

I'm focused on getting ahead of Everton now.

I see the Europa League as being similar to the Carabao Cup. The early rounds mean nothing and it only gets interesting when you are in the last 4.

I see the Europa League as being similar to the Carabao Cup. The early rounds mean nothing and it only gets interesting when you are in the last 4.

And financially for the effort, it's not worth it unless you get to at least the last 8 based on the last figures I saw.

Next season yes, aim for it and secure it for the kudos and development angle - particularly as we should have fans back by then.

I'm focused on getting ahead of Everton now.

Which , based on the current standings would probably get us the Europa league . Just don‘t see the sense in demanding an improvement from where we currently are but then bemoan where that takes us or could take us.

Agree Mike but imagine, if you can,we stumble through to the EL quarter finals,drawn against some no hopes from Moldova or Scotland. Like the league cup,the competition now becomes all important. Three more rounds,we win the much maligned trophy and Champions league here we come. Next season, loads of TVon the way so we invest Now able to afford the likes of Harry Kane and the World's greatest ever player,Mason Mount. Glory awaits,we dump Bayern,again,Inter again,Ajax again and smash Barcelona again. Apologies Melon,l see it all now.

Absolute drain on resources that we are unlikely to have. It will be hard enough going again in the premier league without layering on a hapless forage across European B list towns .

Which , based on the current standings would probably get us the Europa league . Just don‘t see the sense in demanding an improvement from where we currently are but then bemoan where that takes us or could take us.

What have I missed with the permutations then? 7/8th shouldn't get us EL?

12 th would be good progress from last season.

10th would be very good indeed IF we push on next season from that.

Anything above, would be amazing really, when we stayed up by the skin of our doo dahs.

If we qualify for Europe, I would imagine Smith would be in contention for manager of the season?

And as a testing ground for the players, manager and club, to get in the Europa would be no disaster as long as they are backed in the transfer window. We could make ourselves ready.

All the European competitions leave me cold to be fair, I'd have them all as knock out competitions again if it was my choice... sadly it isn't!

12 th would be good progress from last season.

10th would be very good indeed IF we push on next season from that.

Anything above, would be amazing really, when we stayed up by the skin of our doo dahs.

If we qualify for Europe, I would imagine Smith would be in contention for manager of the season?

And as a testing ground for the players, manager and club, to get in the Europa would be no disaster as long as they are backed in the transfer window. We could make ourselves ready.

All the European competitions leave me cold to be fair, I'd have them all as knock out competitions again if it was my choice... sadly it isn't!

I think Moyes will get Manager of the Season.