Rumours that B-Teams might be proposed again | Vital Football

Rumours that B-Teams might be proposed again

Well if it's in any scandal rag tabloid it must be true!

I really can't see this ever happening it would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas. I think it's been debated to absolute death!

Of course it will never happen.. a pretty substantial boycott has happened in the CTT because of a vague threat it might happen... imagine the boycott if ig did.

Complete and utter rubbish, again. The EFL told the Premier League a year ago that the idea of admitting B teams to the EFL was permanently off the agenda. The supporters do not want it and never will. The EFL can do nothing without the approval of its members, and it would take a brave club to ignore the express wishes of its supporters. Ergo, dead in the water.

What about a FL3 ?
That is something I WOULD support.
We know too well what it's like being an historic league club down in the NatLge.
And after 30 yrs of movement between Lge and NatLge, the large majority of clubs within the NatLge are ones that have dropped down into it and most of those still operate as fully professional clubs.

For me the Football Lge should aim to be inclusive of most full-time clubs and as such the time has come for the Lge to grow again.
Below the Premier Lge, I would go for 4 divisions each of 22 teams. That would entail 16 teams moving up from NatLge to form FL3 along with the bottom 6 teams in FL2 (other divisions adjusting to 22 teams accordingly).

For me the Football Lge should aim to be inclusive of most full-time clubs and as such the time has come for the Lge to grow again.

How are you going to fund that? It would require a huge increase in both solidarity and broadcasting revenue.

...after 30 yrs of movement between Lge and Nat Lge, the large majority of clubs within the Nat Lge are ones that have dropped down into it and most of those still operate as fully professional clubs.

Well, looking at the current list of National League clubs only 11 of the 24 are former Football League clubs - and that's stretching a point to include the likes of Gateshead and Maidstone.

If you include National League North and South that only adds another ten clubs (if you include such as Bradford Park Avenue - 'phoenix' clubs are a bit of a minefield!) to make a total over the three divisions of 21 out of 68 clubs.

Well, looking at the current list of National League clubs only 11 of the 24 are former Football League clubs - and that's stretching a point to include the likes of Gateshead and Maidstone.

If you include National League North and South that only adds another ten clubs (if you include such as Bradford Park Avenue - 'phoenix' clubs are a bit of a minefield!) to make a total over the three divisions of 21 out of 68 clubs.

Genuine ex-League clubs: 8 in the NL, 5 in NLN, 1 in NLS = 14.

It's all about money.

I could see some clubs coming round to the idea if the Premier League promised a lot more money in solidarity and rights etc, and no loss of status for current EFL members. It would mean an enlargement of the lower divisions, possible regionalisation at the foot of the pyramid so no one is "relegated", and some of the professional clubs outside the current 92 coming in to make up the numbers.

The only other feasible scenario, in terms of what would work for the big clubs (who have the dosh and therefore the power), is to enter into "feeder" agreements where u23 teams populate the squads of lower league clubs.

I would want neither option. English football in its current setup is amazing and the envy of the world. But if money talks, as it always does in football, the first option would at least keep club identity intact.

And in my perfect world the youth teams would either be thrashed on a regular basis or be unable to advance up the leagues even when they win. And after 10-20 years everyone would realise the pointlessness of the situation and revert to what we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete and utter rubbish, again. The EFL told the Premier League a year ago that the idea of admitting B teams to the EFL was permanently off the agenda. The supporters do not want it and never will. The EFL can do nothing without the approval of its members, and it would take a brave club to ignore the express wishes of its supporters. Ergo, dead in the water.

Well the supporters don't want B teams in the Checkatrade but there they are, and the clubs voted recently to extend the "successful experiment"

Well the supporters don't want B teams in the Checkatrade but there they are, and the clubs voted recently to extend the "successful experiment"

Exactly. The Checkatrade was always a Trojan Horse in this respect. I don't trust the EFL or FA on this issue - or any other - as far as I could collectively kick them.

Exactly. The Checkatrade was always a Trojan Horse in this respect. I don't trust the EFL or FA on this issue - or any other - as far as I could collectively kick them.

If you kick the FA does this mean you are kicking nothing? :hmmm:

And in my perfect world the youth teams would either be thrashed on a regular basis or be unable to advance up the leagues even when they win. And after 10-20 years everyone would realise the pointlessness of the situation and revert to what we have.

In Spain, where remember that the U23s are in the league set up historically only out of geographical necessity - not because it's somehow helpful to the "system" - most do not get to the 2nd division. Barcelona and Real Madrid often do, but they don't usually stay long.

The situation in Spain is farcical. Last season Deportivo B was allowed to compete in the play offs for promotion to the 2nd Division, even though their 1st team had already been relegated to that division and so the B team couldn't be promoted.

Sporting B were also in the play offs to the 2nd division at the same time as their first team were in the play offs to the 1st division. At the semi final stage Sporting B were scheduled to play 2 hours ahead of their first team, meaning that if they progressed to the play off final and their 1st team didn't, the team they were due to meet in the final would get a bye - straight to the 2nd division, at the expense of teams they'd already beaten during the play off eliminators. Fortunately both lost.

Confused? You will be,

What's more, where are they going to play? I doubt Liverpool will want their U23s to play at Anfield for example.

It's arisen because the Premiership are under pressure to shed their huge squads of youth players. They see this as a way of maintaining the status quo and are presumably going to throw a big slice of cash at the league chairmen to solve their issue.

And it won't be the EFL or FA voting on it, it will be the chairmen of the EFL clubs, and while I trust Clive and the board to stand by their word, I have far less trust in clubs run by people / organisations who have no interest in the long term health of lower league football when offered a huge slice of money to vote yes.

Anyway let's just hope it's all sensationalist nonsense and none of the clubs fine words are put to the test.

It's arisen because the Premiership are under pressure to shed their huge squads of youth players. They see this as a way of maintaining the status quo and are presumably going to throw a big slice of cash at the league chairmen to solve their issue.

And it won't be the EFL or FA voting on it, it will be the chairmen of the EFL clubs, and while I trust Clive and the board to stand by their word, I have far less trust in clubs run by people / organisations who have no interest in the long term health of lower league football when offered a huge slice of money to vote yes.
And don't forget the biggest Carrot-on-a-stick, 'Premier League 2'.
"Let us stick our B-teams in the EFL, and we'll start talking about a second tier for the Premier League."
Let me just put that through Google Translate:
"£££$$££$££$££$$££$$££$$£££$$££$$$£££$$££$$$"

And don't forget the biggest Carrot-on-a-stick, 'Premier League 2'.
"Let us stick our B-teams in the EFL, and we'll start talking about a second tier for the Premier League."
Let me just put that through Google Translate:
"£££$$££$££$££$$££$$££$$£££$$££$$$£££$$££$$$"
Yep, money talks.
On the PL2 thing. Tickled me yesterday. Driving into work, the Leeds owner was on the radio talking about it being a really good idea and a must. I don't know if its a coincidence, but I don't remember him saying anything when Leeds were unbeaten and top of the pile a few weeks before.

And what's a Premier Lge2?
Presumably 20 Championship teams expecting a large pile of millions each, kindly donated to them by the 20 greedy teams currently in Premier Lge1....