Rumours, Rumours, Rumours . . . . | Vital Football

Rumours, Rumours, Rumours . . . .

My GP insists that my high BP means I musn't keep my grumpiness inside but occasionally let it out. Catharsis for me but a pain in the harris for others.

Apparently, Derby County have 'pulled out' of the Richie Smallwood transfer so it's, allegedly, down to Wigan and the Millers now.

We are also reported to be vying with Wigan for Marlon Fossey, 23 yo right wing-back from Fulham. Played at Bolton on loan last season and they wanted him back but he's turned them down. One BIG question mark - he missed much of last season with a serious knee injury. I also understand PW looked at him before he went to Bolton and gave the thumbs down so all rather odd.

Conor Washington was interviewed by The Irish News on 1 June when he was looking forward to being selected for the forthcoming internationals. He then left the reporter to have a look at a mysterious black hole that had appeared on the pitch. Not seen since and the IT so far as I can tell has not updated his position nor bothered to explain to its readers his subsequent non-appearances. Baffling. Surely someone could let us know if he's ill or injured?

Supposedly reputable sources on Twitter are saying that Smudge has agreed a new three year deal with the Millers. We are also supposed to be bringing in Tom Eaves. With Washington (presumably fit?) we will have a very experienced forward line along with (again presumably) Kelly and JJ. This makes more sense with the new subs rule and surely suggests Grigg is off.

Good news, if true, about Michael Smith. We don't know if Grigg is actually fit again to play. Eaves is a lower-division target man who almost never scores... except against us. :rolleyes:
I think that Grigg would be ok for this level IF fit - he may not be.

Last edited:
As per my post #8 above Twitter saying Marlon Fossey is joining RUFC. If true and if as suggested his injury problem is completely sorted this is a quality signing of a good young player. Very highly regarded at Bolton. For what it's worth Bolton fans forum confirms the move and it's pretty obvious they wanted him to stay.
We have also made Tom Barkhuizen an offer after Derby pulled out. Bolton have also made him an offer I understand.

Last edited:
We are supposedly monitoring the position of George Hirst at Leicester City. He did well eventually at Portsmouth and PW seemed to rate him but he didn't do much with us last time.
Putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as usual I can't help feeling PW doesn't rate Kelly. There's something not right?

Last edited:
He did sort of ok, nothing special, at Portsmouth, in League One. I don't think that many Millers fans would be happy to have him back. Warney and Barker were themselves forwards who hardly ever scored, so probably don't understand what the problem is! Plus Hirst always seemed to be injured / ill for crucial games and we sometimes ended up playing Ogbene up front... with predictably awful results. We are reasonably well stocked with attackers who rarely score. - so thanks, but no thanks :rolleyes:
We might be signing Tom Eaves for that role anyway.... :p

Last edited:
Been another quiet day after all the rumours at the weekend - though the sun is still out . . .
I now find some of the rumours may just have been rumours and I'm beginning to lose track. I think so far the only definite is Conor Washington although his fitness and health is unknown?