Rumours, Rumours, Rumours Again | Vital Football

Rumours, Rumours, Rumours Again

I know from looking at "Owlstalk" that many Owls fans will be expecting us to hand over our best players to them for next-to-nothing - RUFC have been doing that since before I was even born! Some thought that would happen with Freddie Ladapo ... but players don't mind moving a few miles these days to bigger, better clubs, who pay their staff wages on time. Dream on...

Last edited:
I know from looking at "Owlstalk" that many Owls fans will be expecting us to hand over our best players to them for next-to-nothing - RUFC have been doing that since before I was even born! Some thought that would happen with Freddie Ladapo ... but players don't mind moving a few miles these days to bigger, better clubs, who pay their staff wages on time. Dream on...
Yes, I heard that they wanted dave Watson but crazily wouldn't pay the £100k and he went to Sunderland. Interesting that one of my favourite players, Steve Downes ranks high as one of their worst ever signings!

They have also been mentioning Izzy Brown as one of their worst signings. Like Steve Downes, he was bogged down with injury problems whilst at Hillsboro'. Don't know what happened in the Steve Downes case, as he was rarely out injured whist with us.

By the way - the Freddy Ladapo thread on "Owlstalk" has already got 48 posts ... and yet they claim that Millers fans are obsessed with them! :p

Last edited:
If Smith goes would Alfie May be worth a punt? I know he's not that tall but he scored plenty for Cheltenham last season and anyone who gets four against Wycombe can't be bad. His contract is up this Summer.

Didn't May recently sign a new contract - though, for me, recently could be two years ago!

If it was between May and Grigg I think I'd rather have Grigg who, I think, is a little taller?

Didn't May recently sign a new contract - though, for me, recently could be two years ago!

If it was between May and Grigg I think I'd rather have Grigg who, I think, is a little taller?
May signed a two and a half year deal in January 2020. He is less than an inch shorter than Grigg and I'm not looking for a dance partner! To me Conor Washington can do the Grigg role and I'm looking out for a reasonably priced fairly prolific goalscorer. I can't dance anyway - at least not in public.

Sometimes it’s better the devil you know!
We know Grigg is committed to the cause, we know he’s good in the dressing room, we know he plays well alongside Smudge (I still have fingers and toes crossed!) and I think it was when Grigg got injured that Smith ‘went off the boil’ , we believe PW likes him and thinks he would be a useful addition to the squad. That’s enough for me
He gets my vote!

Sometimes it’s better the devil you know!
We know Grigg is committed to the cause, we know he’s good in the dressing room, we know he plays well alongside Smudge (I still have fingers and toes crossed!) and I think it was when Grigg got injured that Smith ‘went off the boil’ , we believe PW likes him and thinks he would be a useful addition to the squad. That’s enough for me
He gets my vote!
I agree Sixpence. My post was predicated on the possibility of Smith leaving and then I think we need a goalscorer in which aspect so far Grigg and Washington have not really been prolific. Grigg hasn't committed himself anyway. I keep saying but the enigma of the Kelly signing puzzles me. Surely when we did it we anticipated the Championship and the guy must be given a decent run of games to see what he's got?

Last edited:
I keep saying but the enigma of the Kelly signing puzzles me. Surely when we did it we anticipated the Championship and the guy must be given a decent run of games to see what he's got?

Well you'd have hoped so wouldn't you.

And if he's quite not there yet then when is he going to get there? We gave him ten minutes last season and he became a 'cult hero'! I know injury/fitness might have been an issue but I do think he should have had more game time.

We have got to be careful with this - we need "90+ minute" players at this level. Grigg ( if he comes back) isn't that, Kelly (at least not yet) probably isn't either. Although it was a great cameo role from him at Gillingham, we have no idea how Kelly would fare in a full game, never mind a full season. He seems happy to be a Miller and keen to improve, so good luck to him .

Last edited:
Rather like watching for the smoke at a Papal election my spies are scanning the sky above NYS for the fluttering of moths that will signify the wallet opening and the biro coming out of the safe. Nothing so far.

:p

New "Owlstalk" thread on Michael Smith getting plenty of posts.
They are gradually working their way through the Millers team for possible players to replace their own... not that they regard us as their rivals , or are obsessed with us or anything....no definitely not!

Last edited:

New "Owlstalk" thread on Michael Smith getting plenty of posts.
They are gradually working their way through the Millers team for possible players to replace their own... not that they regard us as their rivals , or are obsessed with us or anything....no definitely not!
Before we can be considered rivals they will have to get themselves in the same division. Next season L1 will probably be as hard to escape as ever. I don't see any of the promoted L2 teams pushing for the top but Ipswich, Portsmouth, Bolton, Charlton and Oxford could have a good season and (depending on off-field events) Barnsley, Derby and Posh will all be looking to get back. I have excluded Wycombe, Plymouth and MKD as they may struggle to replicate last season for various reasons. Smith would be mad to go there I think.

We have got to be careful with this - we need "90+ minute" players at this level. Grigg ( if he comes back) isn't that, Kelly (at least not yet) probably isn't either. Although it was a great cameo role from him at Gillingham, we have no idea how Kelly would fare in a full game, never mind a full season. He seems happy to be a Miller and keen to improve, so good luck to him .

I do think there is a place for ‘impact players’ - I always thought Freddie was better when he came off the bench. If Grigg can play an hour - maybe he’s worth a punt? Hopefully after the pre-season training Kelly will be fit and it will be possible to assess his ability without making excuses about fitness!

I didn't start the Tom Eaves rumour but it's got mileage. I also expect Smudge and Icki to leave, the latter to Derby and Chieo to be sold to Swansea. It makes perfect sense for the players as a season of struggle will not make them more attractive to other clubs. Any decent agent will say go now. Chieo may think that he will be asked to play in a defensive role and Irish fans and players are already telling him he's better in a more attacking set up. I also expect us to sign one or two L1 defenders from somewhere like Accrington. The rest may have to be loans. This is probably why the infamous "Supercomputer" and all the bookies have us nailed on to finish bottom.

We've got to prove that 'supercomputer' wrong then!
Yes we do. The bookies want it every way though. They have us nailed on to go down so I thought I'd back us to finish top 6 expecting to get 30 or 40/1. Oh, no, the tight wads offer only 12/1!!! How can a club predicted by them to finish bottom still only be 12/1 to get in the play-offs????