RUBBISH! | Vital Football

RUBBISH!

Welshtel

Vital Football Hero
I’ve just read an article that says it costs £850M a year to clear up roadside litter from people throwing stuff from their cars etc. That’s just the bill for England alone. I’ve noticed lately and as we have been going along in the car we have talking about the mess that is on the vèrges, hard shoulder, hedgerows etc. It really is scruffy and irresponsible. Our housing estate is also getting bad with people tossing wrappers and rubbish anywhere they want.

This is costing us all money. Our council tax and main taxes have to be used to clear up after the dirty and thoughtless people that have no conscience about it. The practice harms wildlife and the impact on tourists and visitors is great. We had a lady from Wisconsin in the USA staying with us a few years ago and she said that she thought Britain’s was a dirty place. I was offended and taken aback and resented her ‘honesty’. BUT THE LADY WAS RIGHT AND SINCE THEN I’VE WOKEN UP TO THE TRUTH. BRITAIN IS DIRTY and we need educating before it gets much worse. We are talking about a beautiful country becoming a rubbish dump.

There are a few peripheral problems too, like lorries carrying waste that don’t put nets over the backs of their vehicles, allowing their waste to blow off, one of the classics of course being the hay lorries that spread hay all over the road. Where are the environmental police? There aren’t any, it seems. As you stop by traffic lights on the roads, look at the McDonald’s wrappers, cartons etc, coke cans and food containers by the side of your vehicle.

WHATS THE ANSWER? Do we even care?

I for one would like to see a major campaign to catch people throwing litter. I’d like to see a private company employed to catch and fine people heavily for litter. One that would put money into the councils coffers to spend on a cleaner environment. A campaign that shows on TV people tossing their litter being caught and fined.
CLEAN UP SCRUFFY BRITAIN.

Last edited:
This is what Canadians do:

Highway Clean-Up
highway_cleanup_sign_Rotary.jpg
Since 1989, the Rotary Club of Fort Collins has adopted a 2 mile stretch of Mulberry Road, just west of Interstate 25. Every spring and fall, Rotarians gather on a Saturday morning to clean up this stretch of road and to enjoy spending a few hours with fellow Rotarians on a community service project.
Rotarian John Matsushima receiving the coveted “Orange Vest Award” from C.J. Streit. John has participated in almost every highway clean-up day since the section of Mulberry Rd. was adopted by the club!

Incidentally I was in Llanelli in West Wales yesterday, on the beach/promenade. Outside the cafe/ice cream shop they had a display with litter pickers available and a sign to say, “Please take a bag and borrow a litter picker if you would like to help with keeping our beach clean.” I have to say, I would have taken one had I seen it on the way to the beach.

This is what Canadians do:

Highway Clean-Up
highway_cleanup_sign_Rotary.jpg
Since 1989, the Rotary Club of Fort Collins has adopted a 2 mile stretch of Mulberry Road, just west of Interstate 25. Every spring and fall, Rotarians gather on a Saturday morning to clean up this stretch of road and to enjoy spending a few hours with fellow Rotarians on a community service project.
Rotarian John Matsushima receiving the coveted “Orange Vest Award” from C.J. Streit. John has participated in almost every highway clean-up day since the section of Mulberry Rd. was adopted by the club!

Where I live you often see volunteers and local parish council members regularly doing road clean ups...same as they do most weekends to our commonlands and surrounding area's..

How do we get the people in the street to STOP dropping their litter though? How about a “Shout it out” campaign. If you see litter being dropped,- call it out. I took my dog for a walk along a shaded area of the estate the other day, to keep him cool. As I walked along the verge there were fag packets, bottles, and most disturbingly broken lager bottles, which could cut the dog’s paws. We have a policy on the estate that you have to pick up you dogs ‘output’ and bag it and bin it in the red bins provided for it. Some people pick it up (can you believe this?) and then drop the bag on the floor. ???? Nuts!

I DO agree with Greavsie though (Applause mate!). Get the prisoners out picking up litter. And ALL THOSE DOING COMMUNITY SERVICE (especially the proven litter droppers).

Incidentally we’ve started a bit of a campaign on our estate, talking to the council to provide more bins, put a lot of suggestions on our FB page for residents etc. Many of the suggestions people have put up are making us all aware of the problems, like telling everyone to pick up their dog littler, litter etc, making everyone aware of WHERE we need the new bins that the council are providing. A residents FB page really useful, we all use it a lot and the council are being reminded of the need to tidy up the grass cutting etc as well.

Incidentally we’ve started a bit of a campaign on our estate, talking to the council to provide more bins, put a lot of suggestions on our FB page for residents etc. Many of the suggestions people have put up are making us all aware of the problems, like telling everyone to pick up their dog littler, litter etc, making everyone aware of WHERE we need the new bins that the council are providing. A residents FB page really useful, we all use it a lot and the council are being reminded of the need to tidy up the grass cutting etc as well.

Sheeezz Welshtel....you're getting a bit militant aren't you?

I’ve just read an article that says it costs £850M a year to clear up roadside litter from people throwing stuff from their cars etc. That’s just the bill for England alone. I’ve noticed lately and as we have been going along in the car we have talking about the mess that is on the vèrges, hard shoulder, hedgerows etc. It really is scruffy and irresponsible. Our housing estate is also getting bad with people tossing wrappers and rubbish anywhere they want.

This is costing us all money. Our council tax and main taxes have to be used to clear up after the dirty and thoughtless people that have no conscience about it. The practice harms wildlife and the impact on tourists and visitors is great. We had a lady from Wisconsin in the USA staying with us a few years ago and she said that she thought Britain’s was a dirty place. I was offended and taken aback and resented her ‘honesty’. BUT THE LADY WAS RIGHT AND SINCE THEN I’VE WOKEN UP TO THE TRUTH. BRITAIN IS DIRTY and we need educating before it gets much worse. We are talking about a beautiful country becoming a rubbish dump.

There are a few peripheral problems too, like lorries carrying waste that don’t put nets over the backs of their vehicles, allowing their waste to blow off, one of the classics of course being the hay lorries that spread hay all over the road. Where are the environmental police? There aren’t any, it seems. As you stop by traffic lights on the roads, look at the McDonald’s wrappers, cartons etc, coke cans and food containers by the side of your vehicle.

WHATS THE ANSWER? Do we even care?

I for one would like to see a major campaign to catch people throwing litter. I’d like to see a private company employed to catch and fine people heavily for litter. One that would put money into the councils coffers to spend on a cleaner environment. A campaign that shows on TV people tossing their litter being caught and fined.
CLEAN UP SCRUFFY BRITAIN.

Here's a few radical ideas.

How about councils emptying bins once a week like they used to, instead of every 2 or 3 weeks like nowadays.
And howabout not arming the binmen with a handy, extensive list of pathetic reasons not to actually empty the bins , ie the bin lid is half an inch open, the bin was an inch away from the kerb etc etc etc.

How about councils let people take large amounts of rubbish that wont fit into the bin to the tip themselves like they always used to, instead of trying to charge them a fortune for trying to do their civic duty rather than the no cost option of fly tipping ?

This country is a shit heap courtesy of the left wing jobsworth lunatics running everything.

Here's a few radical ideas.

How about councils emptying bins once a week like they used to, instead of every 2 or 3 weeks like nowadays.
And howabout not arming the binmen with a handy, extensive list of pathetic reasons not to actually empty the bins , ie the bin lid is half an inch open, the bin was an inch away from the kerb etc etc etc.

How about councils let people take large amounts of rubbish that wont fit into the bin to the tip themselves like they always used to, instead of trying to charge them a fortune for trying to do their civic duty rather than the no cost option of fly tipping ?

This country is a shit heap courtesy of the left wing jobsworth lunatics running everything.
Yes, I agree BC. Councils make lots of excuses not to do the things that residents want AND pay for. But they have as you say lots of left wing agendas such as making the non working brigade comfortable in their lethargy and indolence. When people work hard and do their best to better themselves, they should have what they pay for in their local taxes. AND YES, ‘80’ Im getting militant, along with our fellow residents. We pay good money out, we want more for what we pay. When I was a large school campus manager, the local council grounds people cut the grass. They did it when they felt like it, the school looked scruffy and unkempt and the grass was all they did. Leaves never got cleared etc etc. So I sacked the council and got in private contractors, who came in at about half the cost. They cut the grass, cleared leaves, trimmed hedges, weeded flowerbeds and lots of other smaller niceties, like clearing all the grass cuttings off the pavements and roads. Everyone said what good value they were. It soon caught on and many other schools did the same. The result? The council lost loads of contracts and lazy council workers lost their jobs. Their own fault. I wish we could pull out of council work on our estate , get our taxes back and get private contractors in. What are the chances? NIL. We need some new rules for local government.