Royal Family | Page 3 | Vital Football

Royal Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not the right thread to ask this question but do we need a head of state?
If the monarchy went would we need a president?

Moved out of the sex scandal thread as this is an interesting debate.

My views have softened over the years, I used to be totally anti, but for the little per head cost, if you don't like them, you can turn the other cheek I think (or turn off coverage) but the youngsters seem to be doing a decent enough job at trying to push things into the modern era.

I guess a head of state is needed, albeit not with any formal powers, so whatever we had, would have faults.

Question really only comes into play when the tipping point on cost changes I'd have thought given all the associated constitution issues.

Whilst they attract more £ than they cost we bobble on, when they cost more than they attract, time to get rid.

Most countries seem to have a president or head of state. I assume it's necessary in some way.

It doesn't seem to make much sense to ditch the Queen to elect a president who will cost lots of money too.

I'm not a big fan of royalty and the Andrew stuff just makes it all worse but at least all of the pomp and ceremony adds to the tourism draw of the UK.

Yes, kept meaning to find the Royals thread from a while back (will merge into that at some point)

I think it is ridiculous. If people had their own lives, instead of obsessing over others, this couple would be fine. There is no doubt there has been racism aimed at her and I don't blame Harry being peed off, after all, the same sorts were the ones that helped kill his mom.

I hope they find a way to sort this, but the Royal set up is very protective isn't it? Maybe the elite just couldn't accept a non white into their coven?

There are practicalities, security etc. But to be fair, Harry didn't ask to be born into this, it is the system our country choses, so whether he wants a bit of distance or not, the country I am afraid owes him/them security and safety.

And that stands whether you are a Royalist or not in my ever so humble. They were born into this institution, they didn't choose it and judging by some of his interviews, he doesn't like it one bit.

I think the way in which Harry has handled the situation is nothing short of disrespectful, and I’m no royalist.

If him and Megan want a different life - and it sounds like he doesn’t want to be a royal after his experiences as a kid, that’s absolutely fine but I think there’s a degree of professionalism (such as the people he mentioned and those who he didnt) and respect for the institution.

He’s led a hugely privileged life thanks to the monarchy, I personally would rather be normal than be a royal, and it seems he’d rather be normal. But leave gracefully! If it all goes tits up - and it will with Megan, I think she’s very high maintenance - he may be biting the hand that feeds him.

I don't blame them one bit to be honest. One bit that seems to be overlooked is it also sounds like he's stepping away from his entitled purse.

some of it but wants to keep titles and some royal duties (of their choosing),
whilst punting their 'Sussex Royal Products' trademark range for which they've already a US pr firm lined up.

He needs to have a word with his Uncle andy as to the best way to smooth it over with the press.

(couldn't really give a shit one way or the other tbh)

That'd work for me, licence on the branding. Save some money on them whilst they make the country some money back as they support themselves.

Might be the first step towards not paying for all the fuckers even when they will never get the throne and don't actually do many duties. Make the Monarchy (for the money it does create the country) a true figurehead only at Buckingham/place up Scotland.

Trim it right down but keep the tourism aspect - the rest pay for themselves with minimal expenses when turning up for public family do's or helping out when asked.

Harry has had mental health issues I think.

Clearly unhappy in his role as was , and like anyone he doesn't want to spend his time being miserable.

As Sir Ian Botham says "You only get one go"

Am I the only one who thinks it would’ve been decent to speak to the queeny first about all this? Something called courtesy

Beefy will be with me on that

Unless I've missed something, it's only an assumption nobody knew owing to the 'disappointed' statement released. From the bits I've seen (and I could be wrong as it's only been bits) there hasn't been anything to suggest the Palace didn't know in terms of a proper comment?

Kates birthday as well, unbelievable timing. Coincidence?

I used to like Harry, I thought he was a breath of fresh air for such a polished and boring family. But he’s changing a lot since he met Megan, I think it’ll end in tears as I’ve posted before. Trouble maker

I'd say she's been good for him and he's now thinking of himself and for himself, there's no great conspiracy for me. He's never going to be King and I doubt he's ever wanted to be and if he wanted to two fingers and cause a stir he'd have effectively abdicated but he's still offering to do his role when needed but just not all the time.

He's taking advantage of the freedom William doesn't have and that's dream sauce to shitty journalists and mouthpieces for speculation.

Ultimately the bottom line is, I don't know him or her, never will, it while's away a chat on here but not to be uncouth, if they dropped out of the sky tomorrow my life goes on.

Perhaps he'll change his name to Hewitt while he's at it :oops:

I dont think so cos Hewitt isn't his Dad. Diana hadn't met Hewitt when she had Harry. If you want the article proof on it let me know and I'll post it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.