Royal Family | Page 2 | Vital Football

Royal Family

Current French king (or the person who would be) still has a title, Duke of Bourbon (I think). But of course zero power.
That's probably the long term future here.
Hereditary titles will continue down the generations but will come to mean less and less.

Decent sort was the Duke , decent innings , longer innings that i'll have , and The Queen ?? decent chic . no problem with her at all . Condolences to her , but the rest of them , couldn't give a fuck . not bovvered one way or the other .

Bit pissed of that Masterchef The final was not shown , still tha'ts life

he had a good innings. I guess his lifetime spanned a massive change in society, as has the queen.
I think I would look at scrapping the Monarchy as far as being head of state. But i think for now i would allow them to remain more in the form of Danish, Dutch Swedish kings and queens. I can't see any changes going beyond that realistically. Give them a wage based on performance. Attending special events etc etc. I would have the King or Queen come out on the balcony at Buckingham Palace, once a week to wave at the tourists. Cut down on the hangers-on.
Watching the Crown, which seemed a worts and all look, the fact that the queen had the experience of a long reign and respect of foreign leaders did help our country and propped up some of her Prime Ministers. But it could also work the other way depending on who you get, you can't vote them out. To be fair i would say she's been a good queen.

3 for me please, they can keep Sandringham and Balmoral the rest can become tourist sites and/or donated to RSPB or National Trust, I would also ask for the Lords to be abolished with a second house based on PR. I have no problem if in the future we as a country we want to pay them as ambassadors to do work for the country as long as we see results for the money spent. I have no problem them becoming the UKs version of Disney.

The Monarchy basically works, and is financially in credit (once tourism reopens post Covid). Much of that is down to the current incumbent and her now sadly departed consort, who between them are (were) a class act.

Republicans forget that for every country where a ceremonial presidency works (Ireland, Germany) you get the despots of France, USA, etc. Ceremonial and monarchy works.

What needs working on is the structure underneath, so that beyond the immediate line of succession they earn their keep and have a meaningful role. Andrew's 'princesses' wtf?

The Monarchy basically works, and is financially in credit (once tourism reopens post Covid). Much of that is down to the current incumbent and her now sadly departed consort, who between them are (were) a class act.

Republicans forget that for every country where a ceremonial presidency works (Ireland, Germany) you get the despots of France, USA, etc. Ceremonial and monarchy works.

What needs working on is the structure underneath, so that beyond the immediate line of succession they earn their keep and have a meaningful role. Andrew's 'princesses' wtf?

I think the financial credit the Windsors enjoy has a bit more to do with British taxpayers forking over their hard-earned every year, as well as centuries of conquest and plunder, especially if the natives weren't quite so well-armed as his or her majesties finest. Wouldn't you say?

With respect to her majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Some how I hope she manages to get a bit of sleep tonight after the most traumatic day of her life in the last 73 years. A terrible day for our country.

With respect to her majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Some how I hope she manages to get a bit of sleep tonight after the most traumatic day of her life in the last 73 years. A terrible day for our country.

I don't really understand how the death of a 99 year old man, who lived a life of excess privilege, who was never elected to any position, or applied for any job, is a terrible day for the country. I am sure his friends and families are sad and grieving, as millions of people do every day. But I am confused by the extrapolation to nationwide mourning when things like this take place.

No one except those close to him knew him, and I would argue that through the course of his life as a member of the Royal Family, he took far, far, more than he gave (although that is not a personal criticism, but a criticism of the institution).

I also agree I hope Elizabeth is ok, and has got the support she needs, I cannot agree with the terrible day for our country part, apologies if it effects you, but as a country nothing has changed.

Not sure if correct (and I've avoided all the ludicrous tv all day) but I think Charles is now the next DofE. And that when QE2 dies, Prince of Uselessness, little brother Edward, would then be given his turn at Duking and made DofE instead of Charles.
Oh and Camilla is therefore now also Duchess of Edinburgh, along with same of Cornwall and of Rothesay & any others they invent.

Not sure if correct (and I've avoided all the ludicrous tv all day) but I think Charles is now the next DofE. And that when QE2 dies, Prince of Uselessness, little brother Edward, would then be given his turn at Duking and made DofE instead of Charles.
Oh and Camilla is therefore now also Duchess of Edinburgh, along with same of Cornwall and of Rothesay & any others they invent.

Hmmmm, sounds complicated. I wonder if the titles determine who gets the first round in when they turn up at their local.

each to their own but i don’t consider the death of a 99 year old racist bigot terrible. What is in my view is the needless deaths from CV-19 who are often young and poor or from disadvantaged backgrounds. I don’t know why people get upset when someone 99 dies it’s called life and hardly a shock.

Last edited:

they are all in bread so perhaps just give them all the same title

Let's not forget much of the Royal property was held in common before the Normans invaded. It was then systematically plundered by their elite (Barons) and the following kings and queens, right up until the present day (see also: enclosures and Highland clearances).

Another way of putting that is: most of the country was stolen from the people and the commonwealth (in the old sense of the meaning, not the modern international organisation).

There's a reason the foundation of Law is always property rights and not collective rights...

I don't really understand how the death of a 99 year old man, who lived a life of excess privilege, who was never elected to any position, or applied for any job, is a terrible day for the country. I am sure his friends and families are sad and grieving, as millions of people do every day. But I am confused by the extrapolation to nationwide mourning when things like this take place.

You're not the only one. Look at the BBC's reaction: BBC1 and BBC2 showing exactly the same thing, at the same time, for much of yesterday afternoon/evening. BBC4 taken off air (yes, you read that right!). I turned on 6music this morning to find that they've altered their schedule and are only playing more subdued music. FFS! Where's the 'alleged' BBC balance?!? And they are supposed to have some sort of left wing bias. Don't make me laugh.

I look forward to reflections on the Duke's death in the future that will tell us that it was the public that has driven this mourning. I think it's the media that drives it, sod the broad public opinion.

A terrible day you say? In a sane world, anybody who as an 18 year old, constantly sends letters to a 13 year old until they agree to marry them, would be sent to prison. Apparently that's normal if it's your cousin and you are from a Royal Family?

Whatever next, you’ll be asking all footballers today to take the knee in respect for a proven racist? 🤔

You wait to liz pegs it, they are so paranoid about a coup they really clamp down. Operation tower bridge. Anyone not seen wearing black will be shot on the spot!

You're not the only one. Look at the BBC's reaction: BBC1 and BBC2 showing exactly the same thing, at the same time, for much of yesterday afternoon/evening. BBC4 taken off air (yes, you read that right!). I turned on 6music this morning to find that they've altered their schedule and are only playing more subdued music. FFS! Where's the 'alleged' BBC balance?!? And they are supposed to have some sort of left wing bias. Don't make me laugh.

I look forward to reflections on the Duke's death in the future that will tell us that it was the public that has driven this mourning. I think it's the media that drives it, sod the broad public opinion.

Always thought it was the media (especially tabloid) that drives the whole Royal Family thing. 99% of us will be getting on with life as normal. As for last night, thank god for multiple TV channels and streaming! I do feel for the Beeb though - they get it in the neck whatever they do. The Daily Express and Mail etc. will be straight back on their case next week for apparently being too left wing or woke or paying their presenters too much and basically wanting to abolish/privatise one of the few things that makes UK stand out globally.

On a sporting note, 2 minutes silence at Fulham last night. Phil was clearly twice the man of anyone else that has died.
Sycophantic doesn't even begin to explain what has happened in the last 24 hours, and no doubt for at least another week. They are rolling out Sir this and Lady that to tell us all about him, it's just tedious beyond belief. Let's be clear, anyone interested in the royal scam would likely already know all the stories.
A 99 year old man has died, end of. Let the family mourn in private and peace, and let the rest of us get on with life.