Royal Family | Vital Football

Royal Family

LA_Imp

Vital Squad Member
With the passing of the Duke of Edinburgh (RIP, thoughts to the family, good innings and all that), I thought it might be a worthwhile thread to ask Imps fans their opinions on the Monarchy itself. So basically:

1. Stay as is.
2. Keep the titles but get a real job and let's end the tax-payer handouts.
3. Be gone and don't come back - let's open Windsor Castle to waves of tourists.
4. Off with their heads - the revolution will not be televised.

I'm down with 3. A monarchy has no place in the 21st century and the sooner the UK abandons these anachronistic parasites the better.

Thoughts?

Yeah, probably 3 although 4 has some attractions. 😁

It's irrelevant, though. As I always point out if, after several referendums, our Aussie cousins still haven't ditched the royals, there is literally no chance of it happening here.

Any option other than 1. Sadly, as Notty says, it ain't going to happen.
Always sad when anyone passes away, and the family have my sympathy. However, in my world, Phil is no more or less important than any of the other poor souls that left us today. That they considered postponing tomorrow's grand national staggers me.

Any option other than 1. Sadly, as Notty says, it ain't going to happen.
Always sad when anyone passes away, and the family have my sympathy. However, in my world, Phil is no more or less important than any of the other poor souls that left us today. That they considered postponing tomorrow's grand national staggers me.

Agreed. Did not know that about the Grand National. I think the suddeness of Diana's death, and her age, does produce shock, and processing shock can be difficult. But when a 99 year old passes, it's usually very natural. Sad, for the family, but 99 year olds pass every day, and many without the luxurious care afforded the Royal Family never get that far.

Any option other than 4. I get the republican argument in this day and age and I also recognise that they remain immensely popular with millions of people here and worldwide.

In terms of cost offset against tourism and employment I still haven't seen any valuations, and The Queen at least seems to provide a valuable diplomatic arm for The UK. Therefore it is difficult to quantify whether they provide value for their public funding.

As society continues to evolve I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Family declines organically, a bit like The Church. On that basis I would be happy for nature to run it's course over the next couple of generations and for them to find a level that befits a modern society and values; without the need for a revolution.

I wonder if they will follow the example of other Royal Houses around Europe and publicly announce they are taking a back seat in the future. Charles is already talking of culling the 'extended' family as a nod to modernity.

I understand that Harry & Meghan are trying to persuade them to move to LA, where they can apparently make loads of money in non jobs.

I’ve somehow managed to keep my big mouth shut today .... but the amount of sycophantic rimmers on my FB & Twitter timelines is truly sickening :sick:

Any option other than 4. I get the republican argument in this day and age and I also recognise that they remain immensely popular with millions of people here and worldwide.

In terms of cost offset against tourism and employment I still haven't seen any valuations, and The Queen at least seems to provide a valuable diplomatic arm for The UK. Therefore it is difficult to quantify whether they provide value for their public funding.

As society continues to evolve I wouldn't be surprised if the Royal Family declines organically, a bit like The Church. On that basis I would be happy for nature to run it's course over the next couple of generations and for them to find a level that befits a modern society and values; without the need for a revolution.

I wonder if they will follow the example of other Royal Houses around Europe and publicly announce they are taking a back seat in the future. Charles is already talking of culling the 'extended' family as a nod to modernity.

Didn't know Charles wanted to cull the others. So he's going for option 4 then.

Me, I liked Prince Philip and how he basically didn't give a shit.
Although privliged (and especially so after marriage) he actually had a crap childhood and was essentially an homeless and stateless orphan.
Priti Patel would have had him deported no doubt.

Met him (and Queen) once.

As to their future, they will need to evolve if they are to have any place in following decades. They'll either go Scandinavian route or else they'll be binned totally (again).

What is more wrong with our society, is the House of Lords. Hundreds of them now. Nearly all there due to corrupt politicical patronage. Should be abolished totally.
The honours system is also swamped with corrupt patronage too.

What is more wrong with our society, is the House of Lords. Hundreds of them now. Nearly all there due to corrupt politicical patronage. Should be abolished totally.
The honours system is also swamped with corrupt patronage too.

Good point about The Lords. I'm not sure awards have any relevance though. The Sir Humphreys of the world have The Honours List and the 'wokies' of the world have The BAFTAS etc.

They don't really cost us much, just a bit of bronze for the medal and a few quid for the buffet. Does anybody really care or attach any significance to whether somebody is a Sir for filing accounts, or got a statue for best overseas screen play. Awards lost their relevance years ago.

The Lords on the other hand are rife with financial exploitation and corrupt appointments as you rightly point out. They only have to turn up when it suits and have a nice sleep in order to be paid handsomely.

Before The Royals get their cash, at least they have to attend an insufferable number of youth centre openings at various God forsaken outposts, whilst smiling constantly and answering repeated inane questions.

Number one for me, apart from Andrew, Harry and his Z lister victim. Charles has got it right to kick the hangers on out.

Do people actually realise how much the royal family bring in to this country, through tourism in a normal year.

William and Kate are a class act.

Prince Philip a WWII veteran who said it like it was, not like the looney left, protest against everything and offended by everything, PC brigade . RIP.

Number 1 for me . I also think Charles will modify the system and William after. Think they will modernise it a bit more. The Queen has been a exceptional monarch though. Notty imp re Australia there still seems to be big support for the royals so cant see Australia going as a republic any time soon.

Last edited:
I would go with 5 which is 4 plus turn the palaces in homeless shelters and divest their assets to the people. This lot are irrelvant and only decent purpose I see is to fleece American tourists. If they weren’t royal and they were you or I they would be behind bars

Number one for me, apart from Andrew, Harry and his Z lister victim. Charles has got it right to kick the hangers on out.

Do people actually realise how much the royal family bring in to this country, through tourism in a normal year.

William and Kate are a class act.

Prince Philip a WWII veteran who said it like it was, not like the looney left, protest against everything and offended by everything, PC brigade . RIP.

What I would say on the tourism claims is that Versailles and the Louvre are probably the most visited attractions in Europe.