Royal Antwerp F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Royal Antwerp F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - Match Thread

Result?

• Win

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Next run of games alone is ridiculous:

Thurs 29th - Antwerp v Spurs
Sunday 1st - Spurs v Brighton
Thurs 5th - Razgrad v Spurs
Sat 7th - West Brom - Spurs

:oops:

That WBA game has to be moved.

W
W
D
W

I'd take that, would mean we are unbeaten since the 1st game of the season...which would be 14 games!! And we'd probably be top of the league...

Have we ever been top of the league after 8 league games? lol I don't think we have

1960 season started with

W
W
D
W

I'd take that, would mean we are unbeaten since the 1st game of the season...which would be 14 games!! And we'd probably be top of the league...

Have we ever been top of the league after 8 league games? lol I don't think we have
11 wins, a draw and 4 more wins before losing which was a record only beaten by City in 2017....so I guess we may have been top after 8 games then...but can’t find a relevant lr@gue table of the time to confirm..

W
W
D
W

We can handle this.

I am not so negative about he fixtures at the moment. I think there are plenty of players benfitting from playing themselves into match fitness and finding their feet. Jose has enough players to rotate and we could even come out of it with one or two bonuses. Imagine if Dele suddenly gets some form, Vinicius hits the ground running or Aurier steps up again. We have permutations coming out of our arses at the moment

I am not so negative about he fixtures at the moment. I think there are plenty of players benfitting from playing themselves into match fitness and finding their feet. Jose has enough players to rotate and we could even come out of it with one or two bonuses. Imagine if Dele suddenly gets some form, Vinicius hits the ground running or Aurier steps up again. We have permutations coming out of our arses at the moment
I wondered what that was 😈😈

Interesting Cirkin, White and Clarke have travelled, so who are the other 9 subs on the bench ? Bale is starting apparently .
Hugo, Doherty, Davies, Toby, Ndombele, Sissoko, Moura, Son and ? , unless the kids have just gone for the experience of the trip.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kane went instead of Son this time. Unless we know who is travelling.

Really should handle this just fine, so that means it'll suck.

___________Hart__________
Aurier_Snchz_Davies_Reggie
______GLC______Winks_______
__________Dele______________
Bale______Beast______StevieB

[Hugo, Toby, Kane, Son, PEH, Sissoko, Lucas, Clarke, Doherty, Cirkin, Lamela]

Spurs 3 - Antwerp 0
(Bale, Dele, Beast)

COYS!

It will be interesting to see how many who played at Burnley start tomorrow. I'm reckoning only Davies (playing at CB) and Hojbjerg.

Hart
Aurier, Sanchez, Davies, Reguilon
Hojbjerg, Winks
Bale, Lamela, Lo Celso
Vinicius

I think Hojbjerg needs a rest, the question is can we afford to rest him. I think with GLS and Winks in for Tanguy and PEH we should still be OK

Interesting Cirkin, White and Clarke have travelled, so who are the other 9 subs on the bench ? Bale is starting apparently .
Hugo, Doherty, Davies, Toby, Ndombele, Sissoko, Moura, Son and ? , unless the kids have just gone for the experience of the trip.

Scrub Ndombele off the bench, he and Dier not travelled. So I guess Toby plays .

Looking ahead in the cup competitions (which is always a dangerous thing to do), with the strength of our squad now we are well placed to go to the business end of all three competitions.

The question for me is then is whether our first eleven is good enough to win any of the competitions? In the domestic cups all of the clubs barring Liverpool will be playing their strongest teams from the semis onwards. In the Europa the majority of teams will be playing their strongest teams throughout.

I think Lloris, PEH, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bale, Kane and Son are a match for any team. The question marks are against our defence. The main strengths of our two new FBs are going forward. None of our 4 FBs are top quality defenders. There are also question marks against our CBs and choice of pairings, particularly against the higher quality of forwards they will be up against at the latter stages of the competitions.

Solve that problem and we're in with a very good shout of silverware.

Last edited:
Hart
Aurier Sanchez Alderweireld Reguilon
Hojbjerg Winks
Bale Lo Celso Bergwijn
Vinicius

Alderweirelds home town club, I think he’ll start with Sanchez.

Start Hojbjerg but get him off ASAP, hopefully we are a few up at halftime.

Dele from the bench again 2nd half.

Looking ahead in the cup competitions (which is always a dangerous thing to do), with the strength of our squad now we are well placed to go to the business end of all three competitions.

The question for me is then is whether our first eleven is good enough to win any of the competitions? In the domestic cups all of the clubs barring Liverpool will be playing their strongest teams from the semis onwards. In the Europa the majority of teams will be playing their strongest teams throughout.

I think Lloris, PEH, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bale, Kane and Son are a match for any team. The question marks are against our defence. The main strengths of our two new FBs are going forward. None of our 4 FBs are top quality defenders. There are also question marks against our CBs and choice of pairings, particularly against the the higher quality of forwards they will be up against at the latter stages of the competitions.

Just a few minor points while we wait for this evening's game Gary....

Of course there's a long way to go and many hurdles to clear before we start dreaming. With another transfer window due, evolving players and tactics, momentum, other teams' performances, lady luck, etc. Plenty can change.

What we have going for us is a rarity of having depth, a coach that knows all about lifting trophies. The likes of RM and Barca and several of our domestic contingents are experiencing injuries that only we were synonymous with.

The 'on the day' performance may just be what is needed to get us over the line as I wonder whether another man in the dugout would've got us lifting the CL trophy 2 years ago? ...and that journey was based on two extraordinary results against all odds!

So, let's build a bit of a head of steam that puts psychological fear in to the opposition and use the Jose/depth factor to see how far we can go.

BTW, I note the media and pundits are beginning to side with us on the potential of lifting a trophy!

I think Lloris, PEH, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bale, Kane and Son are a match for any team. The question marks are against our defence. The main strengths of our two new FBs are going forward. None of our 4 FBs are top quality defenders. There are also question marks against our CBs and choice of pairings, particularly against the the higher quality of forwards they will be up against at the latter stages of the competitions.

I don't remember his exact words, but in the final run in to the completion of the last Premiership season Jose was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'I've told my players that one more win, and we win the Europa League'. The inference was that if we qualified for it, we would win it. I'll still go with him on that, and although he may not be fielding his strongest team in the competition yet, I'm pretty sure that other than the PL which is probably out of reach, Europa will be his primary target.. I'm still not convinced based on our results over a lengthy period of time, that we would beat Liverpool, City or United in the latter stages of a domestic cup, when we normally let ourselves down. Maybe the recent results against United and Chelsea indicate that that tide may also be turning.

Just to add to my previous post....

A lot also depends on how Bale and Vin progress. As of now, we are still reliant on Kane and Son, with minimal goal threat from others. It would be nice if by January we have 4 potent forwards where any selected pair can produce the goods......starting tonight!