Roy Chapman | Vital Football

Roy Chapman

bonsonshead

Vital Squad Member
Just out of interest, learnt today that my stepson and his family live in a house once owned by Lincoln City and it was occupied by Roy Chapman, his wife and their boy Lee. Sure a few on here will remember him.

Remember him getting a couple in the 8-1 drubbing of Luton, Bruce Rioch scored for Luton.

Certainly remember him

And he's on a team photo after winning the FA Trophy in the social club at Stafford Rangers from when he was managing there

Where was the Roy Chapman house?

I think the club had some houses in Scorer St. In 1957, Harry Troops was at No.5 and Jimmy Munro at No.11.

Roy Finch at 19 Coleby St
Doug Graham at 72 Brant Td

Must have been Scorer St. as I remember reading a Lee Chapman quote about having been born at Scorer St. it was obvious he would be a striker.

Must have been Scorer St. as I remember reading a Lee Chapman quote about having been born at Scorer St.

I thought I'd heard that, but was just checking. My grandparents lived at No.26 (where I was born) opposite St Andrews (later Bishop King) school, so they were practically neighbours.

Roy Chapman scored 2 of the 3 goals in that famous 3-1 victory against Cardiff in 1958 when the Imps won the last 6 games of the season to stay in the 2nd Division - Ron Harbertson scoring the other goal and Cardiff scored first. I watched the game standing near the old press box in front of the wooden St. Andrews stand with some mates. I always said it was a belated birthday present as I was 13 the day before.

Where was the Roy Chapman house?

I think the club had some houses in Scorer St. In 1957, Harry Troops was at No.5 and Jimmy Munro at No.11.

Roy Finch at 19 Coleby St
Doug Graham at 72 Brant Td

I think Lee was born in Scorer Street, as said above the Club owned two semi detached houses in Brant Road opposite the Church, 72 is about right. My parents lived a few doors away .

I have it on good authority ( by a neighbour) that the house was down Gregg Hall Crescent. Obviously not where Lee was born but probably moved there when he was a bit older.

I'm pretty sure Bill Anderson lived on Scorer Street too. I wonder when all those houses were sold off? I don't think we own any today.

Think the club also used to have a house on Acacia Avenue off Brant Road. Often used to see Glen Cockerill, Dave Carr and Tony Cunningham going to and from the Redwood Drive shops as we went by on the school bus.

I'm pretty sure Bill Anderson lived on Scorer Street too. I wonder when all those houses were sold off? I don't think we own any today.

There was a Wm Anderson living at 132 Scorer St in 1957 (one of the posher houses with a front "yard").

There was a Wm Anderson living at 132 Scorer St in 1957 (one of the posher houses with a front "yard").
That has to be him, I would think. I wonder how many the club owned? I know several of the adjacent streets were built on the site of John O'Gaunts; perhaps the club invested in some of the new builds at that point?

Didn't Graham Taylor live on Matlock Drive in Hykeham? Was that also a club house?

Also, if Lee Chapman was born on Scorer Street, it kind of begs the question - which street was Drewe Broughton born on? :hmmm:

Didn't Graham Taylor live on Matlock Drive in Hykeham? Was that also a club house?

Also, if Lee Chapman was born on Scorer Street, it kind of begs the question - which street was Drewe Broughton born on? :hmmm:

Think Graham owned his Matlock Drive house, because there was a storey as part of his promotion reward the Club paid for a new garage for him ! Think thats in his autobiography . The Club sold off the two Brant Road houses in the mid 60s' I think when things were desperate financially.

Think the club also used to have a house on Acacia Avenue off Brant Road. Often used to see Glen Cockerill, Dave Carr and Tony Cunningham going to and from the Redwood Drive shops as we went by on the school bus.

and Gordon Hughes