Roy Carroll - Rehab and Redemption | Vital Football

Roy Carroll - Rehab and Redemption

I seem to remember going to some player of the year do at Springfield Park where Roy Carroll must have won some award - possibly in 1998 & he possibly got player of the season.
Anyway in his speech John Deehan mentioned that he'd earned the nickname George Best as a result of his escapades on their pre-season tour.
A little later on the SC did some "joke" awards & Gavin Johnson "won" one. I forget what it was for but do remember thinking that the prize (a yard of ale) was in very bad taste as there were rumours that Johnson was an alcoholic (I've no idea whether that is actually the case or not) & Johnson himself refused to go up to get it - Roy Carroll went up & necked it.
I don't know if he had any issues but alcoholism can be a gradual process that starts with just drinking to excess for pleasure, a laugh or just somet to do & before you know it, it has a grip on you. With Roy Carroll and what I heard and saw of him in his early days with us I always assumed that had been the case with him

Always been a massive Roy Carroll fan, was an absolute diamond bloke to me as a nipper anytime we travelled to away games. Nice that he's been so honest, hopefully on the right track. Addiction is a disease.

Always been a massive Roy Carroll fan, was an absolute diamond bloke to me as a nipper anytime we travelled to away games. Nice that he's been so honest, hopefully on the right track. Addiction is a disease.

Couldn't agree more. I've not long lost a very good friend to it & I'm glad to see Roy Carroll is continuing to win his battle
For me he was the best keeper we've ever had even taking in to account Filan, Al Habsi & others. I know he had a couple of high profile clangers whilst at United (I also remember one for us in the league game v City at Maine Road back in 1999) but people often forget that he also broke United's clean sheet record whilst he was there too

Makes you wonder if he was drunk when he launched the ball at the ref. I know it was an away game, but cant quite remember where it was, thinking Oldham, Bury or Rotherham.