Rotherham Fan Comments | Vital Football

Rotherham Fan Comments

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
29 games since we won away in the Championship, 0 away points this season.

An enjoyable half for me, this could been seen as a shyte game because there hasn't been any real chances for us but they've not had a sniff at goal.

Forest player should have walked for two yellows. 12 against 11 then. Thanks for nothing Mr ref.

We certainly deserved a point today. We made them look average all over the pitch. The referee bottled the biggest decision he had to make all game.

We deserved a point.

I agree, we deserved a point.

Definitely a penalty sadly.

Nice touch on 14mins a round of applause from both sets of supporters for the late, great Brian Clough.

That's the quietest Forest fans I've heard in 7 visits.

Our tactics were good. Forest were poor in the 1st half, but upped the tempo after the break and created more chances, including one that hit the post when it looked easier to score.

You could see the penalty coming; Williams(?) didn't anticipate the overlapping runner and it was a desperate lunge.

Always a right kick in the b@llax when you lose to a late goal , it's probably the worst way to lose a game especially away from home against a rated team.

Forest looked nothing special and their support is very quiet!

To lose like that is a real kick in the teeth. Forest had run out of ideas and it felt like if anyone was going to score it would be us, then they get a goal from a clumsy tackle. Its difficult to do anything other than applaud the players because they deserved the point.

Just back from the game so excuse the late report. In short, we were robbed. Firstly, the ref bottled a decision which should have seen their CB receive a second yellow for exactly the same tackle on Williams which brought him a yellow in the first half. If he'd gone, it would have been a different game.

Secondly, if any team was going to score in the second half, it was us. Vassell was a whisker away from putting us one up and then Towell's effort came off Pantilimon's shoulder when goal bound. I didn't get a good view of the penalty but once their player went down in the area, there was only one thing the ref was going to do.

I travelled back to Lincoln with a Forest fan who thought they were very lucky to get a point. He thought our defence had got the measure of Forest's attack and couldn't see any way that they were going to break through.

IMO, we are inches away from having a really useful Championship side. The only difference between us and Forest was the confidence that their players had on the ball. It will come for us but we need to be patient.

Their expensive team full of imports were restricted to one **** and a pen, they and the fans celebrated like they had won the European Cup again, that showed me how well we did.

A draw would have been a fair result but it could be argued that when Towell went for a shot from an acute angle instead of rolling across to Williams to tap in,then when the ref failed to give a second yellow card and then the penalty decision decided the very tight game.

I am not saying it wasnt a penalty because my view was not good. Lolley injected pace that took him into a dangerous area, he then played a quick ball to Osborn who got on the outside and Williams brought him down from behind. No idea if Williams got anything on the ball. The defence played well as did the midfield with Forest creating very little. We created a small amount but it had a look of nill nill all over it.

It looked to me like the ref was reaching for the yellow card until he realised that the defender was already on one. If anything the second foul was worse than the first. The ref bottled it.

I assume they are talking about Guedioura.

I thought his first yellow was harsh in the context of tackles they had gotten away with by that point, including outright shoulder barges.

But he was very, very lucky not to get the second yellow. I dont agree with them that it would have been a different game as such though. If they had attacked more as a result it might even have helped us

It was actually good reffing for a change. The second one - both players fouled each other and gueddy actually fell into him - his first was blatant the second would have been harsh. Very good ref today as he was consistent and although a few robust challenges from them went unpunished he was the same for both sides.

I agree with Rotherham supporters, we were poor in the first half. There was far too much square, laboured passing with nothing happening up front. We saw a bit of this against Wednesday. Our tactics were found wanting, too cautious. Appalling in the final third.

We did up the tempo in the second half. Lolley at least tried to get the ball forward and try things in the final third. It was his ball that led to the penalty and Osborn's run that won it (Ben was otherwise poor). Carvalho missed a glorious chance early in the second half. I worry how easily he gets muscled off the ball. Geddy should have gone for two yellows which would have changed the game.

Credit to Grabban though for stepping up and scoring the penalty. He worked hard - he just has an unfortunate style which looks casual and can't be arsed, but that belies his effort, I feel.

We can't afford to be satisfied by that performance and must learn from it. We need to find ways of being more creative and we need at least another striker. Otherwise this is not a top 6 side.

Shows how deep we were that they thought Gueddy was a CB...
Thats isn't the case at all.

You sit in the same stand as me, you could see what was happening.

Our defensive line was just behind the half way line for much of the first half. Our forward four players were all far up the pitch but being very effectively marked out of it while Rotherham had ten men behind the ball. Geddy and Watson were interchanging with Fox and Hefele on the half way line as they looked in vain for some way through to the forward four.

It wasn't that we were playing deep that made them think Geddy was a CB, it was more that the defenders could get so advanced. Don't try to make out we were negative and defending deep. There were plenty of problems yesterday without you making more up

Thanks for that CP. can sort of sympathise with the Rotherham fans but for all of our huffing and puffing there was only one team really trying to win the game and only one team that was going to.

A better team may well have beaten us yesterday but they weren’t and didn’t so we move on with another 3 points in the bag.

Thats isn't the case at all.

You sit in the same stand as me, you could see what was happening.

Our defensive line was just behind the half way line for much of the first half. Our forward four players were all far up the pitch but being very effectively marked out of it while Rotherham had ten men behind the ball. Geddy and Watson were interchanging with Fox and Hefele on the half way line as they looked in vain for some way through to the forward four.

It wasn't that we were playing deep that made them think Geddy was a CB, it was more that the defenders could get so advanced. Don't try to make out we were negative and defending deep. There were plenty of problems yesterday without you making more up

Sense of humour 1 Pope 0

Im with you. It wasnt pretty but its 3 points and I dont think many of others are talking about the R word, like in previous years.

We are about where we deserve to be so far. We certainly don’t look to be over performing.

Division is wide open so a good consistent run of form and we could be right up there which makes a pleasant change.

We are about where we deserve to be so far. We certainly don’t look to be over performing.

Division is wide open so a good consistent run of form and we could be right up there which makes a pleasant change.
Agree it is wide open.West Brom look like they are beginning to find their feet whilst Villa and Stoke are underperforming considering the squads they have.The teams around the bottom 6 will probably remain around there whilst everyone else could end up anywhere inbetween.We have a very good squad and no reason why we shouldn't be around the top 6.Can see Mboro and W Brom being the top two.

I honestly thought there might be 6 or 7 in the frame...us being 1 of those...keep winning at home...we will be amongst them I'm sure

I honestly thought there might be 6 or 7 in the frame...us being 1 of those...keep winning at home...we will be amongst them I'm sure
Think there could easily be a dozen in the frame, at least until the latter stages.

If we can stay in the frame til January and then invest wisely if we need to then who knows...?

I think we are handily placed.

We are two points better off than last season at the same point.

Big difference is that we have lost 5 games by this point a year ago and many of our key players were playing at their peak; Murphy, McKay, Dowell etc were playing the best they would do all season.

This season you wouldn't say that any of the attacking players had reached near to their peak yet. There should be a lot more to come and we aren't even losing matches

Think there could easily be a dozen in the frame, at least until the latter stages.

If we can stay in the frame til January and then invest wisely if we need to then who knows...?

If investing involves getting rid of Watson then that will be a superb piece of business.
I really think he is finished.
Bridcutt is a far better proposition and we strength in depth there.