Ross Barkley | Vital Football

Ross Barkley

D

Departed

Former Everton star claims Ross Barkley is leaving the club and Spurs are favourites to sign him

One former Blues defender reckons the England midfielder is on his way

COMMENTS
BYALASDAIR GOLD
13:51, 16 JUN 2017UPDATED13:55, 16 JUN 2017

Former Everton defender Alan Stubbs believes Ross Barkley will be leaving the club this summer and bookmakers across the board have installed Tottenham Hotspur as the favourites to sign him.

The 23-year-old has only one year left on his contract and has not given the club any indication that he is set to sign the new deal on the table. He failed to give them an answer after Ronald Koeman set the end of the season as the deadline.

Spurs have been linked with a move for the England midfielder for some time. Now Koeman has brought in Ajax midfielder Davy Klaassen for £23.6m and Stubbs believes Barkley is heading towards the exit door.

"I think Ronald put his cards on the table with Ross before the end of the season and he gave him an ultimatum," Stubbs told talkSPORT.

Could Ross Barkley and Toby Alderweireld soon be team-mates?

"The fact that we are three weeks gone and Ross hasn't signed, then I think that's the biggest indicator that Ross' future is going to lie elsewhere.

"The one thing that he (Koeman) said towards the end is that he wanted more creativity in the team and I think, with Klaassen, he's certainly got that - his record is very good and he's a great age."

All the London derbies
Bookmakers across the board have got Tottenham as favourites to add to their England contingent with a move for Barkley this summer.

I would say it's odds on we sign him. Reckon this will go on all summer though as Everton will try to get top whack for him.

Rumours seem to be gathering pace again today, so much so that I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of him playing for us next season.

His raw ability is impressive and if Poch can polish him, he could be a real word talent. Fingers crossed

Dave the Yid - 20/6/2017 09:08

Rumours seem to be gathering pace again today, so much so that I'm getting quite excited at the prospect of him playing for us next season.

His raw ability is impressive and if Poch can polish him, he could be a real word talent. Fingers crossed

He'll still have improvement in him, and to start regularly or us, he'll have to show it pretty quickly too.

It does look like he's heading our way, he will add depth to our squad, but who/what position will he be competing with for a start...

If nothing else, he must be very confident he can step up..

He wouldnt get in to the first 11. We would not drop alli and barkley can not play on the left or right. Be a good addition to the squad though.

People who say hes only got a year left on his deal, that doesnt matter as if someone is prepared to pay 20m for him they will.

Taricco the yid - 20/6/2017 11:42

He wouldnt get in to the first 11. We would not drop alli and barkley can not play on the left or right. Be a good addition to the squad though.

People who say hes only got a year left on his deal, that doesnt matter as if someone is prepared to pay 20m for him they will.

Agree, Barkley's value is a combination of the market based on him having one year left on his contract but also being homegrown. More importantly though it is based on what we value him to become a member of our squad. I'd be happy to overpay on the market value to know we have a player that talented for the long haul. I don't foresee Eriksen or Alli being around in 3 or 4 years time but could see Barkley being a mainstay of our side.

I also think in a 4-2-3-1 with wing-backs he'd be perfect to play with both Alli and Eriksen in a narrow 3 in certain games. It would also give Eriksen and Alli more rest time.

Depends on what he will cost and he'll likely cost much more than he is worth even factoring in the inflated prices.

Don't know if I want him or not. Potential yes, but Koeman is quite astute so if he wasn't happy with what he saw then it puts doubt in my mind. We might use him in a way that suits him better, we might not but right now he is a sub £20m player.

People should understand that Porky is not a magician, who improves every player he gets hold of. He only 'improves' those that are natural fits to his system and who are are usually at an age where they are still developing and improving on their own anyway and had it in them to do so irrespective of manager.

There have been a real lot of talented young players he has disposed of since he has been here that he totally failed to 'improve' and in fact, al lot have gone backwards. In the last two years he got rid of three who had real potential and were talked about in the club as potential superstars (Townsend, Carrol and Pritchard) along with the likes of Yeddlin, Holtby, McEvoy, Coulthirst, Naughton, Ball, Oduwa, Mason, Ward all of who were thought of as real prospects.

End of the day Porky is, in my opinion, no better and no worse at developing talent that most, so Barkleys chances of being a great player are far from being enhanced if Porky gets hold of him.

Townsend had discipline issues. Carroll was not good enough. Pritchard picked up a serious injury, none of the others were good enough mentioned although I liked Mason his injury record was poor.

Poch has improved Rose, Dier, Trippier, Dembele, Alli, Lamela, Son, Kane , Winks , probably Wanyama who has got better . Eriksen work ethic and attitude is improved.

It is all very well saying that they weren't good enough, but is that actually true and is that not what a manager with this supposed ability should be able to transform?

The ones you mention ...have they actually improved? If they went to another club would they do what they do here?

That hasn't been the case with ANY player from any of his previous clubs. What happens I think it is they have 'improved' because they fit how we play, and players who don't fit that are disgarded. Like I said before young players have a natural inclination to improve as they develop.

Bald Archie - 20/6/2017 20:16

It is all very well saying that they weren't good enough, but is that actually true and is that not what a manager with this supposed ability should be able to transform?

The ones you mention ...have they actually improved? If they went to another club would they do what they do here?

That hasn't been the case with ANY player from any of his previous clubs. What happens I think it is they have 'improved' because they fit how we play, and players who don't fit that are disgarded. Like I said before young players have a natural inclination to improve as they develop.

We have moved into title challenging territory. The quality of player we have in the squad including back ups needs to be higher than those we let go.

Bald Archie - 20/6/2017 18:54
People should understand that Porky is not a magician, who improves every player he gets hold of.

Nick Real Deal - 20/6/2017 22:12

We have moved into title challenging territory. The quality of player we have in the squad including back ups needs to be higher than those we let go.

Without question.

80deg16minW - 21/6/2017 04:00

Nick Real Deal - 20/6/2017 22:12

Without question.

There isn't a single player that Poch has sold or moved on that can now make our starting Eleven, let along be in the squad and their form and play at the clubs after leaving us is testament to that fact - anything else is subjective bullshit (as it normally is)..

I would say Pritch was close to Winks but he sustained a serious injury and I'm not sure he has recovered to his previous form.

All players let go had potential to contribute when the expectations for the starting 11 was to compete for a champions league spot, but with the improvement in quality of so many players on the team under poch. the expectations have risen. Mason, Pritchard, carrol, Townsend will likely never get to the level that he has dier, song, dembele, and wanyama playing at. So no need to keep them on the roster.

Our expectations of starters, subs, and future players have to rise with the quality of our play.

No point in keeping players that probably wont get any better then they are. Pritchard, mason, townsend and carroll are not exactly going to turn in to great players. They are playing at the standard of club they should be playing at and we did good business getting the money we did for them