Rose; Wembley Fatigue. | Vital Football

Rose; Wembley Fatigue.

Spursex

Alert Team
He is right, the atmosphere last night was horrible, flat and uninspiring, against that backdrop of very little home noise, the players seemed to feel it too - and when it was at it's flatest, that seemed to inspire Southampton to try and get back in the game...

Have to say, I'm utterly fed up with Wembley too - the surface last night was extermely poor and killed our passing game as the ball bobbled about all over the place.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...osphere-its-no-longer-an-honour-a4010281.html

Tottenham defender Danny Rose slams Wembley atmosphere: It's no longer an honour

Danny Rose says it is no longer an honour to play at Wembley after Tottenham recorded their lowest League attendance yet at the national stadium in last night’s 3-1 win over Southampton.

Just 33,012 supporters watched as goals from Harry Kane, Lucas Moura and Heung-Min Son moved Spurs back into the top four and laid bare the scale of the task facing new Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl, who was watching from the stands.

Tottenham’s previous lowest attendance at Wembley before Wednesday night was 43,268, against Cardiff, on October 6.

Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino admitted the atmosphere “wasn’t great”, but said he understood why fans are increasingly staying away while they wait for confirmation of when the club’s new 62,062-seat stadium will be ready, which is due in the first half of this month.

In a frank admission that Wembley fatigue is also affecting the squad, England left-back Rose described the atmosphere at the national stadium as “flat” and said it is no longer an enjoyable experience to play at the home of English football.

“It’s just not nice anymore,” said Rose. “It’s lost its... I don’t feel it’s an honour to play at Wembley. We’re all itching to get in the new stadium and, hopefully, it’s not too much longer.

“The atmosphere is a bit flat. I obviously sympathise with the

fans, travelling further to come to Wembley.

“We’re disappointed [the new stadium] has taken longer than expected, but we know everybody is putting in the hours to make sure it’s as good as possible. It’s not that much longer now so, hopefully, over the next couple of months we’re going to be in there.

“We all sympathise with the fans. We just have to stick together now.”

Rose completed 90 minutes on his first start since October 6 after suffering a groin injury in the 1-0 win over Cardiff. If Pochettino continues to rotate his left-backs, Ben Davies will start at Leicester on Saturday, leaving Rose with the possibility of facing Barcelona at the Nou Camp in Tuesday’s crucial Champions League group-stage finale.

“That’s down to the manager,” Rose said. “Next week is a massive, massive game. It’ll be the biggest of the season and the if manager doesn’t think I’m right, then I won’t play. All I can do is try as well as I can in the games I’m involved in and show him I’m ready in training. There’s loads of games now until January, so I’d like to think I’m going to play in some. If I play next week, great. If I don’t, I have to make sure I’m ready for when he needs me to play.

“We can win [at the Nou Camp], 100 per cent,” he added. “We were down and out but we’ve come back. That’s a great testament to the manager and the players to take it to the last [group] game. The manager is more confident than anyone that we can go there and get a result. So are we. We’re looking forward to next week, we’re going

to make sure we take it to the last minute and, hopefully, we can progress. It was nice to be back [playing]. It’s been hard watching over the last month-and-a-half and it was nice to win as well and put right the weekend’s [Arsenal] result. It was just a muscle injury but it took a bit longer than I thought. I’m over that now and I’m happy to be back.”

Rose, Tottenham’s longest-serving first-team player, made a cameo from the bench in the 4-2 defeat in Sunday’s north London derby. Afterwards, Arsenal players used social media to celebrate the victory, prompting Pochettino to say that he was not a fan of dressing-room selfies.

Rose admitted he had been frustrated by seeing the posts, but said it would serve as an incentive for Tottenham in the Carabao Cup quarter-final at the Emirates on December 18 and the reverse fixture in the League in March. “It’s obviously frustrating when you lose and you see pictures being uploaded, but there’s our incentive,” he said. “It just shows how far we’ve come in recent years that it looked like it meant a lot to them to get a win over us. We’re looking forward to the reverse fixture.”

Both clubs have been charged with failing to control their players after clashes following Eric Dier equalising goal and Rose added: “That’s what derbies are all about. Even though I was on the bench, it was still nice to be a part of that. When we’ve played at the Emirates before, the atmosphere has not been like that. I don’t see anything wrong with what happened.

“If I was a neutral watching on TV, it’s something I would like to see — as long as nobody is throwing hands and assaulting each other. We celebrated and Arsenal got annoyed with that and the game continues. Being involved in the game, that’s what I want to see and I’m looking forward to playing them again.”

nah, this time I agree with him - the turnout last night was pretty poor and the surface even poorer..

Fans seemingly getting really fed up with the place - and as I've always said, it's a shite stadium.

He talks too much. He maybe right but there are a lot of people that work in much worse conditions than he does.

Massive slice of humble pie being eaten:
" All I can do is try as well as I can in the games I’m involved in and show him I’m ready in training. There’s loads of games now until January, so I’d like to think I’m going to play in some. If I play next week, great. If I don’t, I have to make sure I’m ready for when he needs me to play. "

He's gone from "I know what I'm worth" to "please mr Pochettino, let me play in SOME of the games"

I have no issue with anything he's said in this interview but like 80 I wish he'd button his trap in general.

Anyone know what our break even to hire Wembley would be in terms of attendance? Guessing under 35k is pretty bad news.

Levy charging £45 to see us play Southampton 2 weeks before Xmas and midweek.

That’s the issue -

Rose has not said anything incorrectly

I would say drawing attention to the stadium atmos and poor pitch could put off people from buying tickets which is not good for revenues. I think he should have been more restrained in his comments.

I would say drawing attention to the stadium atmos and poor pitch could put off people from buying tickets which is not good for revenues. I think he should have been more restrained in his comments.

Nah.

Costing is everything

Make the tickets £20 and there would have been 45k plus.

Wembley is shit, everyone knows that already.

Nah.

Costing is everything

Make the tickets £20 and there would have been 45k plus.

Wembley is shit, everyone knows that already.

It's true. Even Chelsea game had 55k attendance. Man City was worse (although it was on a Monday).

Gone from setting domestic attendance records last season to having over 50k empty seats and probably hemorrhaging cash as a result.

Guess the gag order on Rose hasn't happened yet...stop with the excuses already and play the game.

Yes as EX states, he is technically correct on pitch condition and overall state of Wembley...it is already a known...this is simply Rose being Rose

It's true. Even Chelsea game had 55k attendance. Man City was worse (although it was on a Monday).

Gone from setting domestic attendance records last season to having over 50k empty seats and probably hemorrhaging cash as a result.

Chelsea was a capped game I thought?

People are sick of the place, I am not going again.

But you price it right and more turn up.

Thought they had the pricing spot on last season.

After the NLD game, those 11 players should have been able to play in an empty Wembley Stadium and put in a performance for the TV cameras. To be fair to Rose, if we had 11 of him on the pitch last night we would have done.

You might be right, for some reason I thought it was.

But to prove my point about ticket cost

Burnley £35 is the cheapest - make it £20 ffs

The turnout might have had to do with the price of this games also. 65-80 quid to sit in the 2nd tier or 45 to sit at the bottom for a game against southampton. Why, because poch used to be their manager.

Game was grossly overpriced. Like you said, make the games agaisnt lower opposition 35-45 to sit anywhere and more people would turn up.

I think we've all got Wembley fatigue, although for me it's easier to get to than WHL.

The stadium, the whole experience is dreadful and always has been, toilets are often an absolute disgrace, disinterested staff, shite food and drink and rip off prices for the average fan - and so badly designed, that the atmosphere is generally smothered - and they're just the good points lol!

Was hoping that idiot who owns Fulham was going to buy it, just so we could take the England home games on the road!

But it seems the bloke isn't such a fool as I first took him for.

As it is, it now needs around £50-100 mill spent on it for urgent repairs and renewals on it's M&E's and is an albatross around the FA's neck.

If the FA aren't careful, very shortly the maximum attendance is going to be revised sharply downwards without major investment and they'll like like the bunch of extremely poor managers that they are and once again we'll have a national embarrassment on our hands.

I am now utterly sick of the place.

Last edited:
Jordan: Rose needs to stop talking
rsz_2018-09-08t203024z_536593487_rc17b8e256c0_rtrmadp_3_soccer-uefa-nations-eng-esp.jpg

talkSPORT pundit Simon Jordan believes that Tottenham defender Danny Rose should keep his mouth shut after complaining about playing at Wembley.

Rose fell out with Tottenham after giving a revealing interview to the Sun in the summer of 2017 where he criticised the club’s transfers and hinted at leaving.

He’s got himself back into the first-team as a regular but made the headlines again this week when he said that playing at Wembley was not enjoyable and that he wanted Tottenham to open the new stadium as soon as possible.

Talking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show, Jordan warned Rose that he wasn’t making things any better for his club.

“I’ve got to be interested, I’m not really interested in what Danny Rose says,” Jordan said.

“Sometimes he spends more time at Speakers Corner than he does on the training ground or on the pitch.

“He seems to have far too much to say for himself and most of it isn’t very productive.

“Not a huge admirer as he spends too much time complaining about what he hasn’t got or what he doesn’t think is right and he needs to focus on being a top footballer, which he is.”

In think we've all got Wembley fatigue, although for me it's easier to get to than WHL.

The stadium, the whole experience is dreadful and always has been, toilets are often an absolute disgrace, disinterested staff, shite food and drink and rip off prices for the average fan - and so badly designed, that the atmosphere is generally smothered - and they're just the good points lol!

Was hoping that idiot who owns Fulham was going to buy it, just so we could take the England home games on the road!

But it seems the bloke isn't such a fool as I first took him for.

As it is, it now needs around £50-100 mill spent on it for urgent repairs and renewals on it's M&E's and is an albatross around the FA's neck.

If the FA aren't careful, very shortly the maximum attendance is going to be revised sharply downwards without major investment and they'll like like the bunch of extremely poor managers that they are and once again we'll have a national embarrassment on our hands.

I am now utterly sick of the place.

Well said.

I’ll add they are going to lose the NFL as well once the new lane os open.

I spoke to a couple of the players (via work they chartered a couple of planes ) and they absolutely hate Wembley - they hate the pitch and say it dangerous.

Plus the NFL will make more from Spurs I imagine.

Just out of interest what are the repairs?