Root | Vital Football

Root

If we're getting rid of Root, can we also get rid of the entire England selection board.

Two schoolboy errors in the latest test, one before it started and the other throughout. No front line spinner selected and constantly chasing wide deliveries to snick off.

Yes, I know the commentators keep mentioning it but tbh any club cricketer will have identified the issues. We don't need experts to point out such obvious problems. One was a brain fart and the other is a combined lack of application and concentration.

Being honest, the batting has been so shambolic it actually makes the absence of a spinner irrelevant in this game.

Him, then.

I haven"t been impressed with Silverwood at all, although I guess you can only pick from the pool of players you have, and I haven't really been keeping tabs on the County Championship lately. I do think the rotation policy in the taet team is a bad idea though.

I haven"t been impressed with Silverwood at all, although I guess you can only pick from the pool of players you have, and I haven't really been keeping tabs on the County Championship lately. I do think the rotation policy in the taet team is a bad idea though.
As somebody who watches county cricket it is largely inhabited by medium pace trundlers (70 to 80mph) and spinners who cannot, or are not given licence to spin the ball. As a result the batsmen rarely face top quality bowling and the results are reaped by England at Test Match level.

T20 and limited overs is less of an issue for England as it suits the way the batsmen are coached and encouraged to play. If enough players then go around chucking their bat, during a limited number of overs there is always a reasonable chance that one or two will get lucky and amass a total.

Cricket continues to get dumbed down; however it's not an issue if you value crash, bang, wallop over technique and diligence which appears to be what the public (entertainment) and authorities (cash) favour.

Curmudgeonly purists like myself have to move with the times and accept that, even if we don't like it. A day at county cricket is still a very enjoyable, pleasant, stress free experience where you invariably get to meet some interesting and knowledgeable new person to strike up a conversation with.

I've not heard of half the England players. That must be the problem. If we insist on playing a B or even C team against one of the best test teams in the world we get what we deserve. Root and possibly Burns are the only two international class batsmen. The bowling is ok spinner aside. We need a proper strategy for test cricket that respects the format and the opposition (and the paying spectators).

As somebody who watches county cricket it is largely inhabited by medium pace trundlers (70 to 80mph) and spinners who cannot, or are not given licence to spin the ball. As a result the batsmen rarely face top quality bowling and the results are reaped by England at Test Match level.

T20 and limited overs is less of an issue for England as it suits the way the batsmen are coached and encouraged to play. If enough players then go around chucking their bat, during a limited number of overs there is always a reasonable chance that one or two will get lucky and amass a total.

Cricket continues to get dumbed down; however it's not an issue if you value crash, bang, wallop over technique and diligence which appears to be what the public (entertainment) and authorities (cash) favour.

Curmudgeonly purists like myself have to move with the times and accept that, even if we don't like it. A day at county cricket is still a very enjoyable, pleasant, stress free experience where you invariably get to meet some interesting and knowledgeable new person to strike up a conversation with.
An article by Simon Wilde on this very subject, its all about the pitches set up for the 4 day county games and the low priority given to them which produce the wrong bowlers - those medium trundlers - and wrong batsmen, who can't hack good quick bowling and good spinners. Surrey has the best pitch and hey presto best batsmen capable of stepping up to test level.

Simple as this for me. 99% of young lads, with cricket ability, will be drawn to the potential earnings of making the top if the T20 game. Result, solid batting technique has reduced value, the patience to occupy the crease for 8 hours has no value. Test cricket will gradually disappear, as the standard will fall. Less and less people will give a shit because "Britain next top make-up artist" is on tv and fills the extent of their attention span.

An article by Simon Wilde on this very subject, its all about the pitches set up for the 4 day county games and the low priority given to them which produce the wrong bowlers - those medium trundlers - and wrong batsmen, who can't hack good quick bowling and good spinners. Surrey has the best pitch and hey presto best batsmen capable of stepping up to test level.

And included in that article is how NZ identified the problem with their pitches at home and went about producing better ones...

They put up the batting averages of both sides and apart from Root the difference was absolutely staggering. Apart from Root I don’t think we had one player who averaged more than 33, the majority of there top six averaged 42 plus and that list was missing Williamson as he wasn’t playing because of his elbow injury.

The problem as I see it apart from the likes of Stokes, the top order are the ones that score the most runs on the county circuit when not playing for England.

Apart from 45 year old Darren Stevens who has scored a 190 this season and got world number three Marcus Labaschange out cheaply on two occasions !!!!!!!!

Also since Swann ducked out in Australia we don’t seem to have a top class spinner in the ranks, Leach isn’t bad, but not in Swann’s class for me.