Ronnie O'Sullivan n/g | Vital Football

Ronnie O'Sullivan n/g

I enjoyed it too. “I’d have to have one arm and one leg removed to fall out of the top 50” 😂

I think Ronnie was on the scene in the late 80’s when I used to watch snooker wasn’t he? Great long career.

Turned professional in 1992! His comments were out of order! If you think last year he was knocked out of the worlds by an amateur player in the first round! This year Jamie Clarke ranked 99 has reached the quarter finals! I watched a fair bit of the qualifying on eurosport and the standard was very high! Ronnie, no doubt one of the greatest players of all time, but he needs to wind his neck in a bit!

Ronnie is correct,he is totally at least one level above most players out there, in fact when he does get beat it’s normally through boredom, but because he’s a showman he often gets a bad press,
Can anyone say there’s a better player ?

This year Jamie Clarke ranked 99 has reached the quarter finals!

Clarke lost in the 2nd round to McGill. Even if he had made the QFs, it doesn't mean O'Sullivan is wrong. Decent results from one lower-ranked player aren't going to cause him to drop out of the top 50, what he's saying is that in general there's not a lot of quality out there these days.

Clarke lost in the 2nd round to McGill. Even if he had made the QFs, it doesn't mean O'Sullivan is wrong. Decent results from one lower-ranked player aren't going to cause him to drop out of the top 50, what he's saying is that in general there's not a lot of quality out there these days.
Yep. They might get the odd win here or there. They might even beat Ronnie occasionally, as mentioned above, that's probably more down to boredom and attention he's paying to be honest. But that isn't ROS's point at all. The odd loss doesn't mean he'll drop out of the top 50. That's his point.

To be a professional snooker player you practice like 7 hours a day. Ronnie probably only has to practice a few hours a day these days, and i think i read that before a world championship he usually practices for 2 weeks solid back to the level he used to when he was younger / interested in the sport. He can put a few weeks of serious practice in a few time a year and get a few decent results. It's just not hard for him as the level of people coming through isn't really that high.

I think Steve Davis stayed quite high for years and years after his peak didn't he? when was his last appearance in the world championship?

I like Ronnie. Always is open and honest. I don't say i always agree with his opinion - lots of the time i do, but not always. It's refreshing to have some one that's honest when asked though. You can see the distain he has for the sport, which is always interesting.

To be fair, the final frame of the O'sullivan vs Williams match yesterday wasn't much better. A few simple pots missed, and some awful positional shots ending breaks massively prematurely. It was good suspense, but not great skill. You'd hope O'Sullivan will have to play better than he did vs Williams to win the title again. Maybe he wont have to, maybe that's his point.

Yep. They might get the odd win here or there. They might even beat Ronnie occasionally, as mentioned above, that's probably more down to boredom and attention he's paying to be honest. But that isn't ROS's point at all. The odd loss doesn't mean he'll drop out of the top 50. That's his point.

To be a professional snooker player you practice like 7 hours a day. Ronnie probably only has to practice a few hours a day these days, and i think i read that before a world championship he usually practices for 2 weeks solid back to the level he used to when he was younger / interested in the sport. He can put a few weeks of serious practice in a few time a year and get a few decent results. It's just not hard for him as the level of people coming through isn't really that high.

I think Steve Davis stayed quite high for years and years after his peak didn't he? when was his last appearance in the world championship?

I like Ronnie. Always is open and honest. I don't say i always agree with his opinion - lots of the time i do, but not always. It's refreshing to have some one that's honest when asked though. You can see the distain he has for the sport, which is always interesting.

for me, you sum up the reason I don't like him very much in your final sentence! To have disdain for the sport you've made a pretty good living from is rather sad

for me, you sum up the reason I don't like him very much in your final sentence! To have disdain for the sport you've made a pretty good living from is rather sad
I don't think think he has disdain for the sport. I think he has disdain for how it's being run. Or maybe he does now find it boring. But I guess he used to love it, but now sees it as a job? How many other people don't particularly enjoy their jobs? He's very lucky to have found something he's incredibly good at that pays really well. It doesn't mean he has to enjoy it, just because we aren't as good as him.

It's annoying for us to see from the outside because we're not as good as him and would love to have that chance, but for him it's different. It's like footballers, a lot of them see it more as a job than any fan would. We can't understand it, but i guess it's different if you're doing it EVERY day for 28 years.

I thought Philosophy was engrossing before i started a degree reading it. Then once the reality hit, it became a chore, even though it was quite interesting.

There's no doubt he's a naturally talented brilliant player, but he talks so much s**t.
He conveniently forgot to mention that he got knocked out of the world championship last year by a young James Cahill, ranked 106 in the world. And he's been run close by a lot of young players on the tour this year.

Unfortunately he's pretty thick and uneducated; his old man did 17 years for murder, his mum got convicted for running a brothel, so what chance did he have growing up. He just doesn't think before he opens his mouth. I'd certainly fancy my chances against him if he had one hand behind his back!

Ronnie's obviously The Most Supremely Talented Player That's Ever Graced The Game (TM) and a joy to watch at his best, but his constant whingeing and threatening to retire because he's "fallen out of love with the game" for the past 20 years is incredibly tiresome. Those comments the other day were just graceless.

It's a pity Mark Williams didn't beat him. He genuinely couldn't give a fuck, and is much funnier and more entertaining to boot.

There's no doubt he's a naturally talented brilliant player, but he talks so much s**t.
He conveniently forgot to mention that he got knocked out of the world championship last year by a young James Cahill, ranked 106 in the world. And he's been run close by a lot of young players on the tour this year.

Unfortunately he's pretty thick and uneducated; his old man did 17 years for murder, his mum got convicted for running a brothel, so what chance did he have growing up. He just doesn't think before he opens his mouth. I'd certainly fancy my chances against him if he had one hand behind his back!
Im sure he's not conveniently forgotten that at all. But if you think that invalidates his point then youve misunderstood his point, or maybe more specifically misunderstood the concept of the world rankings.

World rankings are done on an 'average' over the year. So while ronnie accepts he wont win every match he plays. He is confident that he can win enough to stay in the top 50 without any issue.

The equivalent is in football. The top 4. They wont ALWAYS win vs the rest of the lower premier league, but they basically win enough over the year to always be up in the top 4 year after year.

I totally agree with what he said. It might be disrespectful, but he's the best player ever to have played.

In fact many think he's arrogant, what about looking at his comments another way....

The reporter asked about him and mark williams being in the top 50 for 25 years or something, suggesting it was ronnie and marks greatness that was the reason. Ronnie actually modestly said, "no im not great, the level is just not that high". While it's slightly disrespectful to the level of opposition (although true), i think it could be argued its quite a modest statement, trying to down play any talk of him being 'great'.

Ronnie's obviously The Most Supremely Talented Player That's Ever Graced The Game (TM) and a joy to watch at his best, but his constant whingeing and threatening to retire because he's "fallen out of love with the game" for the past 20 years is incredibly tiresome. Those comments the other day were just graceless.

It's a pity Mark Williams didn't beat him. He genuinely couldn't give a fuck, and is much funnier and more entertaining to boot.
All of these comments have validity, but these days younger people have their noses stuck on a mobile phone, so he may be right. He may well be trying to get youngsters interested by embarrassing them for the future of the game/promoters.

Im sure he's not conveniently forgotten that at all. But if you think that invalidates his point then youve misunderstood his point, or maybe more specifically misunderstood the concept of the world rankings.

World rankings are done on an 'average' over the year. So while ronnie accepts he wont win every match he plays. He is confident that he can win enough to stay in the top 50 without any issue.

The equivalent is in football. The top 4. They wont ALWAYS win vs the rest of the lower premier league, but they basically win enough over the year to always be up in the top 4 year after year.

I totally agree with what he said. It might be disrespectful, but he's the best player ever to have played.

In fact many think he's arrogant, what about looking at his comments another way....

The reporter asked about him and mark williams being in the top 50 for 25 years or something, suggesting it was ronnie and marks greatness that was the reason. Ronnie actually modestly said, "no im not great, the level is just not that high". While it's slightly disrespectful to the level of opposition (although true), i think it could be argued its quite a modest statement, trying to down play any talk of him being 'great'.

Second best....

His problem is he talks in extremes; saying that he'd have to have his arms and legs tied up to drop out of the top 50 is just plain stupid. He talks about him, Higgins and Williams still dominating in their 40's, well it was the same in the 1970's. Reardon, Spencer, Taylor dominating with no youngsters coming through at all.