Ronnie Biggs dies at the age of 84 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ronnie Biggs dies at the age of 84

Agreed Wurzel, gangsters, no matter how people try to dress it up. They went armed, albeit not with guns if memory serves me right, and robbed a great deal of money (think it compares to about £43m in modern money) and if anyone had got in their way, they'd have no doubt hurt them as well.

how did they even stop the train? i would have just ran the fuckers down. Or did one of them pose as a worker on the train and stopped the train where the rest of the gang were to rob it?

They stopped the train by hooking the amber and red lights to a battery and by simply putting a glove over the bulbs that shone through the green lights.JF they weren't even proper gangsters believe it or not Bruce Reynolds put together a mish mash team which made it all the more remarkable they actually pulled it off.Ronnie Biggs was just a petty criminal who was only allowed on board because he knew a train driver who incidently had never been in trouble in his life before.The only reason they did pull it off was because it was the royal mail and the money belonged to the treasury the government thought that nobody would dare rob it so there was no security hence the reason for the 30 year sentences even though there were no guns involved which if they had robbed a Securicor van with guns they would have got between 10 and 15 years.As for the train driver well apparently he never fully recovered but after receiving the blow to his head was able to get back up and drive the train another half mile to the bridge where they unloaded the money and made their getaway.Fair play to the driver.

He did return to work. Yet again ill informed people spouting off

Mills, who was 57 at the time of the robbery, never fully recovered from his injuries. He returned to work in May 1964, and worked for 18 months on light duties. He was then on sick leave from November 1965 until December 1966 with shingles. He returned for one last year in work for 1967, retiring at Christmas, with two and a half months off sick that year.[4]

SKEGGY - 19/12/2013 21:26

He did return to work. Yet again ill informed people spouting off

Mills, who was 57 at the time of the robbery, never fully recovered from his injuries. He returned to work in May 1964, and worked for 18 months on light duties. He was then on sick leave from November 1965 until December 1966 with shingles. He returned for one last year in work for 1967, retiring at Christmas, with two and a half months off sick that year.[4]
For me the government used the train driver as a means to justify the sentences they could have done a bank job and shot someone and they would have probably got less.Now I'm not condoning what they did because they were guilty of robbery so as they say if you can't do the time don't do the crime but these sentences were only given out because they embarrassed the government.