Rollercoaster Latics | Vital Football

Rollercoaster Latics

Jonnysking

Vital 1st Team Regular
Having watched us now for 50 years or so, it has definitely been a rollercoaster ride, but recently is has been more like being on the 'Big One' all the time.

When was the last season apart from the first year in the PL (10th) when we could relax going into the last month or so of the season knowing it didn't really matter what we or others did, and we could settle for mid table mediocrity?

Watching WAFC exhausts me.

Season before Martinez arrived.

A season that had an excellent start before fading to nothing after the January sales.many will have a different opinion on this, but I have no particular ambition to be a club who end their season in March. We've done some amazing things in the last month of the season - some heart breaking misses and some incredible successes

2007/2008 was the last true season where we could relax finishing 11th in the prem. Ever since it's been, relegation fights, fights for promotion, fa cup semi final and final. Promotion, relegation. We are not a boring club thats for sure!

Said it pre season and I'll say it again if we survive - give me bloody mid table mediocrity next season! I'm worn out.

On the other hand you get incredible value for money emotion wise watching us, though it is bloody draining. Some of those end of season finishes though - such as at stoke, sheff Utd, Blackpool, even donny last year - incredible lasting memory stuff that we've had plenty of so guess we're lucky as tics fans. Fantastic days.

Having watched us now for 50 years or so, it has definitely been a rollercoaster ride, but recently is has been more like being on the 'Big One' all the time.

When was the last season apart from the first year in the PL (10th) when we could relax going into the last month or so of the season knowing it didn't really matter what we or others did, and we could settle for mid table mediocrity?

Watching WAFC exhausts me.
We are fine the sun out chillax up the tics ?

I think that if we stay up, we will push on and be 'top 12' next season. We have learned a lot of lessons this season, but at the same time, we have players who have come on as the season as gone on, Naismith, Garner, etc.
We also have players like Lang, Gelhardt and Maffeo to move up a level. Add 3 or 4 decent signings...and I am confident we will do that, and we can really push on and improve on this season. We just need to make that final checkpoint of securing safety, and we can then start to plan in earnest for next season.

Good times ahead, I am sure. I am already looking forward to another trip to Oakwell. I like the ground and don't mind Barnsley...very similar to us...even the town centre is similar! My nan was from there, you see. Nice day out by the Thames at Fulham too, and I hope Charlton come up in the play offs...a very good football club, decent fans and a nice stadium too. Another slight family link...they tried to sign my mum's uncle back in the 50s, but he had a decent engineering job and was talked out of it by his dad. Charlton were a decent, top flight club then and saw him playing for Bridlington Town during his RAF national service.

How the mood changes. Only a week ago we had people ready to throw themselves in the "duggy" with depression, now there is talk of mid table stability next season and only needing three or four new players. One thing is for sure, watching Wigan is never simple, there is no middle ground and long may that continue, not for me this season over in March malarkey, give me the excitement of the play off or relegation seasons. Lets stuff Preston today and improve our away record with a win at Birmingham then we can relegate Millwall to put the top hat on another exciting season.

How the mood changes. Only a week ago we had people ready to throw themselves in the "duggy" with depression, now there is talk of mid table stability next season and only needing three or four new players. One thing is for sure, watching Wigan is never simple, there is no middle ground and long may that continue, not for me this season over in March malarkey, give me the excitement of the play off or relegation seasons. Lets stuff Preston today and improve our away record with a win at Birmingham then we can relegate Millwall to put the top hat on another exciting season.
To be honest we need a dozen or so players to avoid another 18/19 season.

Not going to happen though is it.

We have prooved in the past that its not hard to get rid of 12 mediocre players and replace them with another 12 mediocre ones. In fact, we have got rid of 12 in the past and replaced them with worse players.
The hard and expensive bit is trying to replace them with better players.
I reckon we need half a dozen better players, but money will have to be spent.
Whether we have the money is another matter.

[QUOTE="Jonnysking, post: 1817230, member: 142057"
Whether we have the money is another matter.[/QUOTE]

…..and that is precisely my point.

IEC have not exactly shown us the depth of their commitment to date.